2014-2015 NCAA football thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
Show me this "law", because it makes no sense. DV arrests can happen well after the fact, and there is no per se requirement for hospitalization to occur. Those things I know. Beyond that, I see virtually no chance the law says anything like what you are saying here. But I am open to be corrected - show me.

I know the law to be similar in Illinois; the police have extremely limited (if no actual) discretion. If there is probable cause to believe DV has occurred (a very low bar which is cleared even by "He said/She said"), arrests are to be made so that the courts, not the cops, can sort it out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
Show me this "law", because it makes no sense. DV arrests can happen well after the fact, and there is no per se requirement for hospitalization to occur. Those things I know. Beyond that, I see virtually no chance the law says anything like what you are saying here. But I am open to be corrected - show me.

Google it. It's the reason Frank Clark was arrested immediately. It's to stop the "misunderstanding" or intimidation that leads to cases being dropped. If the officer sees evidence of assault in a domestic abuse allegation there will be an offender taken into custody.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
I know the law to be similar in Illinois; the police have extremely limited (if no actual) discretion. If there is probable cause to believe DV has occurred (a very low bar which is cleared even by "He said/She said"), arrests are to be made so that the courts, not the cops, can sort it out.

To NOT make an arrest in Ohio they have to submit a report and request on why they didn't make an arrest. Because of that they always take someone into custody as it's expected. Of course that's if there is actual evidence of some sort of assault taking place.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)

Doesn't mean you have to do it then, but certainly they should.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Google it. It's the reason Frank Clark was arrested immediately. It's to stop the "misunderstanding" or intimidation that leads to cases being dropped. If the officer sees evidence of assault in a domestic abuse allegation there will be an offender taken into custody.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
To NOT make an arrest in Ohio they have to submit a report and request on why they didn't make an arrest. Because of that they always take someone into custody as it's expected. Of course that's if there is actual evidence of some sort of assault taking place.

This is a differentiation of affirmative evidence. If there is evidence, then yeah, they arrest (it used to be you needed someone willing to sign a complaint, but that hasn't been true in a while). If there isn't, they don't. But it is also true that you can find examples of DV reports and arrests happening after the fact - if you prevent that, you essentially make the statute of limitations almost immediate.

If the cops are there, and don't make an arrest, but do later, yes that is unsual. No, it is not prevented from happening.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
Doesn't mean you have to do it then, but certainly they should.

This is a differentiation of affirmative evidence. If there is evidence, then yeah, they arrest (it used to be you needed someone willing to sign a complaint, but that hasn't been true in a while). If there isn't, they don't. But it is also true that you can find examples of DV reports and arrests happening after the fact - if you prevent that, you essentially make the statute of limitations almost immediate.

If the cops are there, and don't make an arrest, but do later, yes that is unsual. No, it is not prevented from happening.

Pretty much. My old roommate went through this in Columbus, it's very rare if there is any evidence of a struggle or assault that someone isn't taken into custody. It's become commonplace in Ohio to book someone.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
Wow...that is surprising...Nebraska steals Oregon State's coach and Oregon State goes to Big 10 and steals Wisconsin's coach. Really surprising as Wisconsin is a much better job on paper. Does Anderson have west coast ties or something?

Or something about Wisconsin makes it a place that coaches don't want to stay at after they get there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
Or something about Wisconsin makes it a place that coaches don't want to stay at after they get there.

Some ESPN reporter citing issues with getting recruits eligible for admission into Wisconsin.

Who would've thought that Wisconsin and Nebraska changed HCs but Illinois isn't.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
Wow...that is surprising...Nebraska steals Oregon State's coach and Oregon State goes to Big 10 and steals Wisconsin's coach. Really surprising as Wisconsin is a much better job on paper. Does Anderson have west coast ties or something?

He lived out West his whole life (mainly Utah) until taking the Wisconsin job. That's the only reason I can think of why he'd leave - to be closer to home.

Oregon St somehow ended up with a better coach than the guy who left them. That's why you always have contingency plans.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)

?

Since 1990 Wisconsin has had 3 head coaches.

Bielema left because fans were pretty upset with him and prior to the Big10 championship that year there were rumors he was on his last leg there.

Andersen is kind of shocking but it happens.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
?

Bielema left because fans were pretty upset with him and prior to the Big10 championship that year there were rumors he was on his last leg there.

I thought Bret left because the assistant coach budget sucked and his guys were leaving for better paying gigs.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
?

I think that implication is rooted in speculation that the one who coached from 1990 to 2005 left shoes that are difficult to fill and thus has proven tough to work right under. I have no idea whether that has any validity to it, but I have seen the question raised by others (perhaps irresponsibly).

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny