2014-2015 NCAA football thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Tweet of the day:

Dan Wetzel @DanWetzel · 2h

And USC may be trying to one-up Notre Dame's fake dead girlfriend with a fake drowning nephew? Now that's a rivalry

Ha, that's amazing.

I'm sure the story is "Josh Shaw got drunk, was dared to jump from the balcony, did it, and sprained both of his ankles."

It's like the time I got drunk and ate s*** and had a huge scab on the left side of my face. I went to one of my dad's work functions (which is the parent company of the company I work for), and people asked me about it. My story was that I was frisbee golfing, was way in front of my friends, and when I turned around to look to see where they were, one of them jumped on my back and tripped me and skidded my face across the ground. One guy I told that to (who is now the president of the company I work for) said "Looks like you got drunk and fell down." Nailed it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
I'm sure the story is "Josh Shaw got drunk, was dared to jump from the balcony, did it, and sprained both of his ankles."

It's like the time I got drunk and ate s*** and had a huge scab on the left side of my face. I went to one of my dad's work functions (which is the parent company of the company I work for), and people asked me about it. My story was that I was frisbee golfing, was way in front of my friends, and when I turned around to look to see where they were, one of them jumped on my back and tripped me and skidded my face across the ground. One guy I told that to (who is now the president of the company I work for) said "Looks like you got drunk and fell down." Nailed it.

I'm surprised Krush isn't in here yet to tell about the drunken Rowand falling on his face story. I'm pretty sure it's his favorite story ever.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
They might beat ND too. This is a pretty good Navy team.

Navy has 3 of their 12 total wins against ND in the last 7 years, they've had their best success lately for sure.

I believe we are working on a 14 point spread but do have the advantage of having several coaches who have worked for service academies or have faced Navy before.

Edited by RockRaines

But I thought Notre Dame has the most stringent academic requirements of any football program ever?

edit: I guess to be fair it's not just graduation rates and academic assistance they factor into that ranking. They take into account scandals, arrests, etc. into that vertical slot. Still, pretty much kills the theory that ND is some holier-than-thou beacon of all that is right in college football.

Also, LOL at Penn State. And Alabama, Florida State and Oklahoma.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

But I thought Notre Dame has the most stringent academic requirements of any football program ever?

The vertical axis measures "shame." It is calculated through: A somewhat subjective ranking of six elements: four-year Academic Progress Rate, recent history of major NCAA violations and probation, percentage of athletic-department revenues subsidized by student fees and state support; number of players arrested in the off-season; attendance at last season's games; and overall "ick" factor.

Well, ND is always at or near the top in Academic Progress rate.

No recent major NCAA violations or probation (though one potentially very big case is pending)

Percentage of athletic-department revenues subsidized by student fees and state support is zero. It's actually negative, because athletic revenues subsidize student scholarships.

Tommy Rees is the only player I can think of arrested in the past few years.

So I guess whatever fits into the "ick" factor must be enough to cancel everything else out.

Again, consider the source. Also, when you admit that you are using something like "ick" factor, you might as well just say that you're ranking certain programs they way you are because of how much you do or don't like them.