2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Your primary TV rights holder, which in the BT's case is ESPN/ABC, is going to dictate start times. They want their #1 BT game on at 3:30 ET, so in order to get a game in before that it has to start at Noon ET.

If all the other games are on the Big Ten network then why do they have to be at that time?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
BT needs to move their windows from 11/230 and put in later games. I don't think any fanbase enjoys the 11am games, and you've got half the conference on central time. It makes it harder for not only students, but fans that have to drive, or would like to tailgate and enjoy the game. Even an hour would help, to 12 central. And, the atmosphere at those 11am games isn't as good.

So I'm a fan of more night games - anything that moves games later in the day works for me.

I like the 11am games so I can wake up and watch them (well not so much anymore) but the fanbase at the game suffers and so does conference exposure. Many of the new coaches are pushing hard for night games and it appears to be paying off. Of course you need to have lights to get it done.

ILL vs OSU is a primetime night game this year.

If all the other games are on the Big Ten network then why do they have to be at that time?

I haven't read the details of the TV rights agreements, but it's possible that ESPN/ABC have exclusivity from 3:30-7:00, meaning that BTN games have to end by 3:30 or start after 7:00. So a BTN game couldn't start at 1:00 because it would overlap with the ESPN/ABC 3:30 game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
I like the 11am games so I can wake up and watch them (well not so much anymore) but the fanbase at the game suffers and so does conference exposure. Many of the new coaches are pushing hard for night games and it appears to be paying off. Of course you need to have lights to get it done.

The stadiums that don't have permanent lights have been using the temporaries for 30 years. They are fine. After all, late in the season, the 2:30 games need lights in the second half.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)

I'm still confused by that one, no one will be watching the second half.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Your primary TV rights holder, which in the BT's case is ESPN/ABC, is going to dictate start times. They want their #1 BT game on at 3:30 ET, so in order to get a game in before that it has to start at Noon ET.

Anything can be changed. I get why it's like that right now, but the point is to change it moving forward.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
I'm still confused by that one, no one will be watching the second half.

The rest of the BT slate that night isn't any better. They didn't bypass an amazing matchup.

It'll still be a "game" in the second half, more than likely.

Anything can be changed. I get why it's like that right now, but the point is to change it moving forward.

I don't see that getting changed. 3:30 ET is the ideal time to be the second game in the Eastern Time Zone and the first game in the Pacific Time Zone. Also, local ABC stations own the 7-8pm time slot, so anytime games run later than 7:00, the network starts losing money.

The best solution is to implement rule changes that get games down to a 3:15 average length. Then you can have the games at 12:30 and 3:45 instead of 12:00 and 3:30.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
I don't see that getting changed. 3:30 ET is the ideal time to be the second game in the Eastern Time Zone and the first game in the Pacific Time Zone. Also, local ABC stations own the 7-8pm time slot, so anytime games run later than 7:00, the network starts losing money.

The best solution is to implement rule changes that get games down to a 3:15 average length. Then you can have the games at 12:30 and 3:45 instead of 12:00 and 3:30.

Agreed on moving games faster.

I don't really think when starting a game on the pacific time zone has much of an impact on time. I feel like a 12/3:30/7 CT would/could work perfectly. I think even that extra hour would make a big difference.

For shortening game length, just take out the dumb rule that stops the clock on first downs and you're there. I'd be fine if you wanted to keep that rule as the halves end, but having it for the entire game can really make the games drag.

Agreed on moving games faster.

I don't really think when starting a game on the pacific time zone has much of an impact on time. I feel like a 12/3:30/7 CT would/could work perfectly. I think even that extra hour would make a big difference.

Network/affiliate agreements give the affiliates local programming for an hour on Saturday, so you can't do 12/3:30/7 CT. It would eliminate that hour which would cost the networks a lot of money, and while the 11am CT starts may have an impact on attendance and atmosphere at the games, it doesn't negatively impact ratings nearly enough to the point of making the networks consider taking that hour from affiliates.

The second game has to end by 7 ET/6 CT. There's no getting around that as long as a broadcast network is involved in the TV deal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
Just booked a flight to Seattle for the weekend of the Illinois/Washington game. I expect it to be a beat down but Seattle is an awesome town so should be a good time.

That will be a fun trip. And as long as you go in knowing Illinois will lose (like you said), then you won't be disappointed by the game's outcome and you'll enjoy your experience even more.

It's like my buddies who went to Oregon last year. We knew we'd get stomped, and we did. But they had a blast.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
Just booked a flight to Seattle for the weekend of the Illinois/Washington game. I expect it to be a beat down but Seattle is an awesome town so should be a good time.

Hey, you never know. It appears they have some QB issues, and maybe Lunt throws for 400 and surprises us all :)

I've been tempted to go to that game, been to Seattle once a couple years ago...just don't know if it's worth it to go all the way out and back for that. My dream world scenario has me going to a bowl game this year if we can sneak to 6-6, so maybe saving for that instead.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
Hey, you never know. It appears they have some QB issues, and maybe Lunt throws for 400 and surprises us all :)

I've been tempted to go to that game, been to Seattle once a couple years ago...just don't know if it's worth it to go all the way out and back for that. My dream world scenario has me going to a bowl game this year if we can sneak to 6-6, so maybe saving for that instead.

Or maybe Bailey runs for 400 yards? I do think UW had some suspensions, so yeah, you never know?

My wife & I both have friends living out there, so there's more going on than just the game. We went out there for a Bears/Seahawks game several years ago and had a blast too. Great town when its not raining.

Lunt >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bailey although I hope Bailey gets involved as well.

You know what's funny, we were in Seattle 2 years ago for about 4 days, never rained once. Seemed pretty bizarre. I expected it to be like The Killing.

I had some Illini gear on, a local (and U of I grad) was like "hey, you know you're about 2 years early for the game, right?"

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
Lunt >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bailey although I hope Bailey gets involved as well.

You know what's funny, we were in Seattle 2 years ago for about 4 days, never rained once. Seemed pretty bizarre. I expected it to be like The Killing.

I had some Illini gear on, a local (and U of I grad) was like "hey, you know you're about 2 years early for the game, right?"

Bailey should move to WR to get some play. If he wanted to play QB, he should have transferred as soon as they signed Lunt. I used to coach against Bailey when he was in HS at Brook. Kid is a beast but he's never playing QB in the NFL anyway. No better time than now to switch positions.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
Bailey should move to WR to get some play. If he wanted to play QB, he should have transferred as soon as they signed Lunt. I used to coach against Bailey when he was in HS at Brook. Kid is a beast but he's never playing QB in the NFL anyway. No better time than now to switch positions.

Or move him to the defensive side of the ball - safety. Problem is, Illinois may have promised him that he'd be a QB and not pull a position change on him, so it'd really have to be Bailey asking for it.

I'm also surprised/aggravated they didn't red shirt him last year, as his 2 carries per game was a complete waste of a year, and now he's the same year as Lunt. Although that may have been an unofficial promise as well.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
Or move him to the defensive side of the ball - safety. Problem is, Illinois may have promised him that he'd be a QB and not pull a position change on him, so it'd really have to be Bailey asking for it.

I'm also surprised/aggravated they didn't red shirt him last year, as his 2 carries per game was a complete waste of a year, and now he's the same year as Lunt. Although that may have been an unofficial promise as well.

From what I've heard from my Bolingbrook contacts, they did promise him that he could play QB. That was one of the reasons why he chose Illinois. Now, he will not be playing QB over Lunt though. He should take it upon himself to play defense or another position on offense. He may actually be able to play LB with that size too. The first time I ever scouted him in HS, he looked like he could be the starting MLB instead of the QB.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
You don't know what you're talking about, he just doesn't seem like the type of person that would do such a thing.

In all of his interviews he came off very respectfully to shop store owners.