• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Rock will love this one.

http://sportsmockery.com/2014/08/ohio-stat...best-fan-bases/

Fox Sports ranked the ten dumbest fan bases in the country. Alabama took the prize at number one, but it’s number three that every Illini fan will enjoy reading. The Ohio State Buckeyes have the third dumbest fans in the country. Let’s take a look at how they describe the typical Ohio State fan.

“The important thing to know about everyone who live in the state of Ohio is this — every single person who lives in the state of Ohio actually wishes they lived somewhere else.

Every. Single. One.

The other important thing to know about the state of Ohio is that every successful person who is from Ohio has either moved to Chicago or the South.

If you polled every Big Ten fan and asked, “Which fan base is the dumbest in your conference?” Ohio State would receive 100% of the vote.

What’s the dumbest stereotypical Ohio State fan like in his element?

He is 42 years old and his room’s only furniture is a weight bench from high school. Ask him why he spends so much time sitting at the Friday’s bar all alone and he will tell you that he has “mad b****es,” on his cellphone who are all “smoking hot,” but that tonight they are all busy.

If you ask to see the names of said women in his cell phone, he will laugh and say, “Sorry, bro, do your own work the b****es.”

He actually has four real women’s phone numbers in his phone, yo: His mom, his two sister, and the Walgreen’s pharmacist who prescribes his monthly genital wart creme.

For the six years Urban Meyer was at Florida he constantly derided him on the message board as a “CHEATING LIER.”

Now Meyer is a saint and the “MEDIA IS OUT TO GET HIM BECAUSE THEIR SCARED!”” – Clay Travis

Also the link to the full article

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/...buckeyes-100113

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
Another great thing about OSU fans is almost every one you meet didn't actually go to OSU.

Which shouldn't matter. If you are a fan, you are a fan. Is a fan of the Bears less of a fan because they aren't from Chicago? Same with the White Sox or anyone else?

Another great thing about OSU fans is almost every one you meet didn't actually go to OSU.

There are nearly 70 million people living in 'Big Ten' states, excluding Maryland and New Jersey. Now, there are some other schools in those states with sizable fan bases (Notre Dame, Pitt, Cincinnati, Marquette), but an overwhelming majority of those 70 million people are fans of a Big Ten team. There are less than 6 million living alumni from the 12 schools, so yeah, most of the fans of Big Ten teams did not actually go to those schools. There are a lot of MAC, FCS, DII, DIII and NAIA schools in Big Ten land, and most of the people who went to those schools are also fans of a Big Ten team.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
Exactly. They give two s***s about their "actual" school.

Again, it doesn't matter. You can be just as big of a fan of a team that you didn't go to their school then vice versa. Its a flat out stupid argument.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
Which shouldn't matter. If you are a fan, you are a fan. Is a fan of the Bears less of a fan because they aren't from Chicago? Same with the White Sox or anyone else?

The Chicago Bears are also a professional sports franchise, not a university. Their job is to play sports and entertain fans. When you were in high school, did you root for the sports teams from the high school across town because their school was bigger than yours?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
The Chicago Bears are also a professional sports franchise, not a university. Their job is to play sports and entertain fans. When you were in high school, did you root for the sports teams from the high school across town because their school was bigger than yours?

Little different. College football is a huge huge business. High school is not. You can watch a college football team from anywhere and while the athletes aren't professionals, they are extremely close and the product is a multi billion dollar business with games televised all over the place. I think that is a pretty poor comparison. If you had to go to a school to be a fan of the team, well then, I guess I'm not even allowed to watch college football. Pretty pathetic. I didn't pick my school because of their sports teams, I picked it for what I was going to get my degree, cost, etc. Has no impact on the allegiance of who I follow and cheer for and makes me no less of a fan then someone who graduated from that school.

I rooted for area high schools that were in a different class than my own to do well in state tournaments. Not that much different from a Miami student rooting for OSU or a NIU student rooting for UI.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
Again, it doesn't matter. You can be just as big of a fan of a team that you didn't go to their school then vice versa. Its a flat out stupid argument.

This has certainly hit a sore spot with you.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)

There you go.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
This has certainly hit a sore spot with you.

There you go.

No I think it is piss poor. you think you are better then someone else that is an Illinois fan because you went there and they went elsewhere. A fan is a fan? If they follow their team and aren't bandwagon hopping, they are no different then you. Not at all. But go ahead and pretend you are some elitist.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
Little different. College football is a huge huge business. High school is not. You can watch a college football team from anywhere and while the athletes aren't professionals, they are extremely close and the product is a multi billion dollar business with games televised all over the place. I think that is a pretty poor comparison. If you had to go to a school to be a fan of the team, well then, I guess I'm not even allowed to watch college football. Pretty pathetic. I didn't pick my school because of their sports teams, I picked it for what I was going to get my degree, cost, etc. Has no impact on the allegiance of who I follow and cheer for and makes me no less of a fan then someone who graduated from that school.

Yeah right.

Look, root for whoever the hell you want, doesn't mean I have to respect someone for it as a fan.

Like the guy with the new FSU gear walking around Chicago. Did he go there? No? What's the tie there exactly, besides winning and jumping on a big team? Zero tie. Oh look at me, I'm the world's biggest FSU fan and I'm now I'm going to talk s*** and wear this gear to make me feel good about myself. Whatever gets you out of bed in the morning.

I respect people who root for their teams win or lose, big or small. Does being an alum of a school do nothing for you?

The point is, if you went to Dayton, they have sports programs you can root for. You probably paid money to go there. You probably rooted for them in some fashion for 4 years.

Now you're out, time to jump on the OSU bandwagon because they are bigger, better. Whatever works.

I'm a Michigan fan. Wanted to go, was accepted, but didn't feel like paying my whole life.

Since I didn't go there, I've never felt comfortable trash talking other fans. Just follow and pull for them.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
I'm a Michigan fan. Wanted to go, was accepted, but didn't feel like paying my whole life.

Since I didn't go there, I've never felt comfortable trash talking other fans. Just follow and pull for them.

You better not be cheering for Michigan when that SIU-UM National Championship happens in basketball. :unsure:

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
I think it's perfectly fine to be a big time fan of a school you didn't go to but I do think it's pretty bizarre when you root for that school over the one you actually went to if they were to play in something.

That's where I'm at. Maybe they are your 2nd school.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
No I think it is piss poor. you think you are better then someone else that is an Illinois fan because you went there and they went elsewhere. A fan is a fan? If they follow their team and aren't bandwagon hopping, they are no different then you. Not at all. But go ahead and pretend you are some elitist.

Going and graduating from a school has to count for something, but whatever.

Now you're just throwing s*** all over the place, not really making any sense.

Someone who roots for their team, their school, is a better fan to me. You just said it yourself, bandwagon hopping.

If you don't root for your school, IMO that makes you a bad alum and fan. How could you ever root for OSU over Dayton, if you went to Dayton?

I wouldn't really respect an SIU grad who rooted for their school for 4 years the suddenly ditches them to hop on an Illinois bandwagon, if they were bigger or better. If that's elitist, so be it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Yeah right.

Look, root for whoever the hell you want, doesn't mean I have to respect someone for it as a fan.

Like the guy with the new FSU gear walking around Chicago. Did he go there? No? What's the tie there exactly, besides winning and jumping on a big team? Zero tie. Oh look at me, I'm the world's biggest FSU fan and I'm now I'm going to talk s*** and wear this gear to make me feel good about myself. Whatever gets you out of bed in the morning.

I respect people who root for their teams win or lose, big or small. Does being an alum of a school do nothing for you?

The point is, if you went to Dayton, they have sports programs you can root for. You probably paid money to go there. You probably rooted for them in some fashion for 4 years.

Now you're out, time to jump on the OSU bandwagon because they are bigger, better. Whatever works.

My school pride is tied to the education I got, the friends I made, and the fact that it put me in an excellent position to take the next steps in my professional career. Cheering for their sports teams is great and all but it doesn't mean I can't cheer for teams I've been cheering since I was a kid. Whether my school is great at football or sucks at football, sure it would be nice if they had a great program, but it is a school first and foremost. Picking a school (unless you are playing for that sports team and a recruit) based upon their sports team, while I'm sure some people do it, is pretty foolish. I guess no kid can ever cheer for a college sports team, only college grads can and you can only cheer your school.

And said FSU fan you are describing is a bandwagoner, no different then any other sport in this planet where said fan switches from team to team and cheering for the frontrunners.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
That's where I'm at. Maybe they are your 2nd school.

Going and graduating from a school has to count for something, but whatever.

Now you're just throwing s*** all over the place, not really making any sense.

Someone who roots for their team, their school, is a better fan to me. You just said it yourself, bandwagon hopping.

If you don't root for your school, IMO that makes you a bad alum and fan. How could you ever root for OSU over Dayton, if you went to Dayton?

I wouldn't really respect an SIU grad who rooted for their school for 4 years the suddenly ditches them to hop on an Illinois bandwagon, if they were bigger or better. If that's elitist, so be it.

So, I went to Illinois Wesleyan, a DIII school, but grew up outside of Champaign and went to basically every Illinois football and basketball home game from the ages of 7ish-18 (and then from 18-32 when I could). Is it not ok for me to be a fan of Illinois over IWU? Am I a "worse" fan than you?

I get what you're saying when people choose to like a school because that school is successful but there's zero connection there. But if you grew up a fan because of geographic proximity, and then went to a different school, it makes sense to me that you can maintain your allegiance if you want to. That doesn't make you more or less of a fan.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
So, I went to Illinois Wesleyan, a DIII school, but grew up outside of Champaign and went to basically every Illinois football and basketball home game from the ages of 7ish-18 (and then from 18-32 when I could). Is it not ok for me to be a fan of Illinois over IWU? Am I a "worse" fan than you?

I get what you're saying when people choose to like a school because that school is successful but there's zero connection there. But if you grew up a fan because of geographic proximity, and then went to a different school, it makes sense to me that you can maintain your allegiance if you want to. That doesn't make you more or less of a fan.

No I agree that you can keep that team, at least you have a reason for rooting for it. I guess we have to draw that line between random as s*** teams people like, and growing up liking them for proximity, your Dad went there, or whatever. That's my bigger thing, I guess, have a tie to it. That's where I shake my head at people. But again, some people will say "you can root for whoever you want" and you can, doesn't mean I don't think you're an idiot front-runner for it.

And good example, they did play in 05, I'm guessing you rooted ILL, but I don't know, I would find it hard to attend said school (and possibly even know the players on that team personally, I know some of my friends did at that same time frame) and still root for ILL in that given situation. Or, completely forget about Wesleyan. My guess is you still pay a little bit of attention to them when they are in their tournament etc.

No, it doesn't make you a worse or better fan. I know you have the history and for good reason.

I was just using OSU as an example, as that seems to hold true. You run into an OSU fan, none of them went to OSU. Generally if I run into another alum in Chicago, they usually say yeah I graduated in whatever year from Purdue or Iowa or whatever. Just found it odd. Some maybe rooted for OSU their whole life, some probably didn't pay much attention and then hopped the bandwagon post-college because let's face it, football and bball have both been consistently good.

Can't we just rip OSU a bit before Rock gets on here and call it a day? :lol:

Edited by IlliniKrush

Ohio State is THE most popular sports team in Ohio. Being that you are all from Illinois you have no idea what its like. Its as if the Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks combined to form one team. Thats what it's like. You dont get a browns or bengals onesie when you are a baby, you get a Buckeye outfit. College teams in Illinois arent even in the same stratosphere in popularity. I was given my first OSU jersey at age 2. People dont need to go there to be fans, we all grew up watching them on saturdays rooting for them, because its literally life in Ohio. When I was at Miami I watched every OSU game on saturday with literally no consideration for the Redhawks.

Edited by RockRaines