2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)

Citing Clay Travis immediately makes it not click worthy. Guy is a certified troll, worse than Marriotti and Cowley combined.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's perfectly fine to be a big time fan of a school you didn't go to but I do think it's pretty bizarre when you root for that school over the one you actually went to if they were to play in something.

I know a family who is from East Lansing, MI. The parents are both MSU grads. Two of the four children went to MSU. The youngest went to that other big school in the state, but he remained an MSU fan his entire 4 years of school and beyond. His sports fandom was entirely separate from his academic pursuits.

Yeah right.

Look, root for whoever the hell you want, doesn't mean I have to respect someone for it as a fan.

Like the guy with the new FSU gear walking around Chicago. Did he go there? No? What's the tie there exactly, besides winning and jumping on a big team? Zero tie. Oh look at me, I'm the world's biggest FSU fan and I'm now I'm going to talk s*** and wear this gear to make me feel good about myself. Whatever gets you out of bed in the morning.

I respect people who root for their teams win or lose, big or small. Does being an alum of a school do nothing for you?

The point is, if you went to Dayton, they have sports programs you can root for. You probably paid money to go there. You probably rooted for them in some fashion for 4 years.

Now you're out, time to jump on the OSU bandwagon because they are bigger, better. Whatever works.

Well, there are two very different kinds of non-alumni fans. There are people who, even though they didn't go to the school, grew up rooting for the team because of geography and/or family connections. I'm cool with people like that. Then there are people who had absolutely no connection to a school like FSU but suddenly in 1993 they are given a national championship and people are buying their stuff. I have no use for those people.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
You better not be cheering for Michigan when that SIU-UM National Championship happens in basketball. :unsure:

I would honestly be 100% for the Salukis.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Ohio State is THE most popular sports team in Ohio. Being that you are all from Illinois you have no idea what its like. Its as if the Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks combined to form one team. Thats what it's like. You dont get a browns or bengals onesie when you are a baby, you get a Buckeye outfit. College teams in Illinois arent even in the same stratosphere in popularity. I was given my first OSU jersey at age 2. People dont need to go there to be fans, we all grew up watching them on saturdays rooting for them, because its literally life in Ohio. When I was at Miami I watched every OSU game on saturday with literally no consideration for the Redhawks.

I have a buddy who grew up in Georgia and played football at Ohio. He said he hated how all the OU students only cared about Ohio St football. He wasn't ready for that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Citing Clay Travis immediately makes it not click worthy. Guy is a certified troll, worse than Marriotti and Cowley combined.

He's definitely a troll, but he has his moments. I thought his OSU fanbase article was pretty weak, but some of those Top 10 worst fanbase articles were hilariously spot-on.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 07:00 PM)
I have a buddy who grew up in Georgia and played football at Ohio. He said he hated how all the OU students only cared about Ohio St football. He wasn't ready for that.

Probably 2 thousand fans in our stands and 15k at the bars watching the Buckeyes.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
So, I went to Illinois Wesleyan, a DIII school, but grew up outside of Champaign and went to basically every Illinois football and basketball home game from the ages of 7ish-18 (and then from 18-32 when I could). Is it not ok for me to be a fan of Illinois over IWU? Am I a "worse" fan than you?

I get what you're saying when people choose to like a school because that school is successful but there's zero connection there. But if you grew up a fan because of geographic proximity, and then went to a different school, it makes sense to me that you can maintain your allegiance if you want to. That doesn't make you more or less of a fan.

If Wesleyan ever faces Illinois in a basketball game for some reason, as long as you are rocking some Titan gear, then you are OK in my book.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
I know a family who is from East Lansing, MI. The parents are both MSU grads. Two of the four children went to MSU. The youngest went to that other big school in the state, but he remained an MSU fan his entire 4 years of school and beyond. His sports fandom was entirely separate from his academic pursuits.

Don't say that in public, he might get his diploma revoked!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
So Dorial Green-Beckham might be eligible at OU this year. That is f***ing disgusting. I hope he blows out both knees.

Had Missouri kept him on the team the media would have destroyed them, but since OU is giving him a "second chance" it's OK. (And this coming from an Illinois fan)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
Had Missouri kept him on the team the media would have destroyed them, but since OU is giving him a "second chance" it's OK. (And this coming from an Illinois fan)

Yep. I can't see any reason the NCAA should let him play this year. But then again, it's the NCAA and you never know what they're going to do. So frustratingly inconsistent.

In other news, Venric Mark will transfer to play "closer to home" after being suspended, and NW's #1 receiver Christian Jones is out for the year with a knee injury. NW could still probably put up 40 on Illinois's defense, but the battle to be Chicago's B1G team just got tighter.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
So Dorial Green-Beckham might be eligible at OU this year. That is f***ing disgusting. I hope he blows out both knees.

DGB will also be a 1st round pick next year. Jeremy Hill was a 2nd round pick this past year. Nobody should be surprised. Prince Shembo was a 4th rounder and featured prominently on last night's Hard Knocks. The Bears drafted Ka"Deem Carey. The NFL doesn't care about domestic violence.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
In other news, Venric Mark will transfer to play "closer to home" after being suspended, and NW's #1 receiver Christian Jones is out for the year with a knee injury. NW could still probably put up 40 on Illinois's defense, but the battle to be Chicago's B1G team just got tighter.

Both of those really suck. They have enough depth at those positions to get by, but it's already starting to look like last year with the injuries/bad luck.

All said, very glad DGB is not on this team, especially after the swimmer case. I hope we hear charges filed soon on that front as well.

SEC network launches tonight, wooo.

Mizzou offense this year I don't know what will happen, but I think there may be some fun D players to watch: Josh Augusta, Charles Harris, Shane Ray/Golden (duh), and Kentrell Brothers. Most all of them Dlineman.

Harris was a 0 star recruit they signed because they liked how he looked in basketball. Only played football for 2 years and is now our 2 deep DE as a RS Frosh. Some might be scared by that, but after following mizzou dline over last 10 years, I'm excited.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
SEC network launches tonight, wooo.

Enjoy that, it's only costing you a quarter a month on your cable bill. Inside SEC territory, it's going to run each cable subscriber $1.40 a month.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
Enjoy that, it's only costing you a quarter a month on your cable bill. Inside SEC territory, it's going to run each cable subscriber $1.40 a month.

Eh, comcast it's in the plus package. feels like I'm paying a lot more than that, but my wife gets DIY network soooo

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Eh, comcast it's in the plus package. feels like I'm paying a lot more than that, but my wife gets DIY network soooo

It's part of the CHOICE package from DirecTV. But, it's smart of SEC Network to charge more for it in the south because people here WILL pay it. I'm just not thrilled that my bill will be going up $1.40 just for one channel, but hey, at least they're going to show a lot of games.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
It's part of the CHOICE package from DirecTV. But, it's smart of SEC Network to charge more for it in the south because people here WILL pay it. I'm just not thrilled that my bill will be going up $1.40 just for one channel, but hey, at least they're going to show a lot of games.

I am in favor of more football regardless, so its pretty cool.

Our local NBC station used to pre-empt network programming for SEC football and basketball games, with football games often running beyond ND kickoff time and basketball games often bumping L&O: SVU, so the wife and I are both very happy for the SEC to have their own network so we can have our NBC programming back.