2014-2015 NFL Football thread

Could we see 42 yard extra points?

That's the exact opposite of what I think needs to happen. Instead of making the PAT harder, make it free. You score a touchdown, you just tell the referee that you are going to take the one-point PAT and it's yours. Or you can forfeit the free point and go for two.

Also, since kickoffs are almost always touchbacks anyway, let's eliminate first half kickoffs and just put the ball on the 20. Keep the kickoffs in the 2nd half to allow for the possibility of onside kicks.

As an added bonus, you would probably shorten games by 10 minutes or so.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
That's the exact opposite of what I think needs to happen. Instead of making the PAT harder, make it free. You score a touchdown, you just tell the referee that you are going to take the one-point PAT and it's yours. Or you can forfeit the free point and go for two.

Also, since kickoffs are almost always touchbacks anyway, let's eliminate first half kickoffs and just put the ball on the 20. Keep the kickoffs in the 2nd half to allow for the possibility of onside kicks.

Those are awful ideas.

Kickoffs are great and extra points need to be more difficult.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
USA TODAY Sports ‏@USATODAYsports 4h

Colin Kaepernick reportedly wants Jay Cutler money. Is he worth that to the 49ers? (@Qsports): http://usat.ly/OWpttq

The great NFL QB dilemma. Your QB is probably not worth a top contract, but it's not that easy to let him walk away and find another. So many teams are in that situation, including the Bears.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
The great NFL QB dilemma. Your QB is probably not worth a top contract, but it's not that easy to let him walk away and find another. So many teams are in that situation, including the Bears.

As long as there are 5-10 less good QBs than NFL teams, QBs will always be "overpaid"

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
Those are awful ideas.

Kickoffs are great and extra points need to be more difficult.

I think they are great ideas, at least the extra points. Making extra points 42 yards just makes a kicker's role bigger, which is exactly the opposite of what I think everyone would want. It also would mean a lot of cheap shots into kickers because if your kicker got hurt during the game, you would be screwed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
I think they are great ideas, at least the extra points. Making extra points 42 yards just makes a kicker's role bigger, which is exactly the opposite of what I think everyone would want. It also would mean a lot of cheap shots into kickers because if your kicker got hurt during the game, you would be screwed.

I don't know how that possibly correlates.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
I don't know how that possibly correlates.

I don't think it would happen, but in theory it makes sense. If you manage to injure the kicker after the first touchdown, every subsequent touchdown and field goal chance has a significantly reduced chance at being converted into additional points.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
USA TODAY Sports ‏@USATODAYsports 4h

Colin Kaepernick reportedly wants Jay Cutler money. Is he worth that to the 49ers? (@Qsports): http://usat.ly/OWpttq

What other choice do the 49ers have. If they let him go, there is no way to know if they can replace him.

I don't know if he is worth that much money, but I think he is at least close to being worth that. He's better than Cutler, so I don't blame him for wanting that kind of money.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
I don't think it would happen, but in theory it makes sense. If you manage to injure the kicker after the first touchdown, every subsequent touchdown and field goal chance has a significantly reduced chance at being converted into additional points.

In this NFL where you get ejected for a playful pat on the ass, it is too big of risk.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)

If teams haven't targeted kickers already, 42 yard extra points wouldn't suddenly put kickers at risk. If your kicker is hurt, then you go for two from the 2-yard line, big deal. In fact, I think if this rule were enacted, some coaches might forgoe PATs and go for two most of the time.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
If teams haven't targeted kickers already, 42 yard extra points wouldn't suddenly put kickers at risk. If your kicker is hurt, then you go for two from the 2-yard line, big deal. In fact, I think if this rule were enacted, some coaches might forgoe PATs and go for two most of the time.

Maybe, but the thing is, teams have very few goal line or 2 yard line plays. Going for 2 becomes advantage defense pretty quickly.

I am not in favor of any rule making kickers more significant. Just make it automatic unless you want to go for 2.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
If you have to make a 42 yard FG as an extra point, kickers are going to be targets.

No they're not

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
Kickoffs used to be great. Now, they almost all end in touchbacks.

I know, and that sucks. They never should have moved the kickoffs up. It was just a reactive move under the pretense of "safety" that they hoped people would actually buy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Maybe, but the thing is, teams have very few goal line or 2 yard line plays. Going for 2 becomes advantage defense pretty quickly.

I am not in favor of any rule making kickers more significant. Just make it automatic unless you want to go for 2.

That's not true.

And the 2-point conversion rate is around 50% so both sides are about equal here.

Would we be weird to have to declare whether you will try for 2 or not

How about you get 1 point from the 2, 2 points if you kick the 42 yarder?

2 point conversion from the 2 is still 2 points. Conversion from the 42 yard FG distance is 6 points.

Would we be weird to have to declare whether you will try for 2 or not

How about you get 1 point from the 2, 2 points if you kick the 42 yarder?

2 point conversion from the 2 is still 2 points. Conversion from the 42 yard FG distance is 6 points.

I can't recall a team ever going for two via a fake from a kicking formation, so in essence you are already declaring whether or not you are going for two via your formation.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
I know, and that sucks. They never should have moved the kickoffs up. It was just a reactive move under the pretense of "safety" that they hoped people would actually buy.

If safety was a pretense, what do you think the real motivation for that change was?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)

Shorter games means less commercials which means less money, so they may not see that as a bonus.