2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:18 AM)
So I'm sure people will get tired of hearing about this all year long but the guys Sherman was guarding didn't have a single target tonight. He's good.

I didn't see every snap closely, but I feel like a lot of the time he wasn't on Nelson, or was I just imagining that? I feel like you'd lock him on him the entire game, no?

That has to be an odd feeling. You know you are good and affected the outcome, but you didn't really do that much, so to speak.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:24 AM)
I didn't see every snap closely, but I feel like a lot of the time he wasn't on Nelson, or was I just imagining that? I feel like you'd lock him on him the entire game, no?

That has to be an odd feeling. You know you are good and affected the outcome, but you didn't really do that much, so to speak.

He seemed to be covering Boykin most of the game.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:44 AM)
See that's what I thought, to which my next question is "um, why?"

I believe Seattle's scheme has him in the same spot no matter what WR is over there, which does seem a bit odd but it seems to work for them. If anything it makes me wonder if GB switched around their game plan to keep Jordy and Cobb away from Sherman as much as possible.

Like you said earlier, has to be an odd feeling.

Seahawks are an absolute nightmare at home. If they stay healthy, no team will go into Seattle and win.

Sherman and other guys get all the talk, but Bobby Wagner is a beast. I think he should get talked about as one of the best ILB in the NFL.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
Did the NFL move their 8 road games to Seattle?

their road games:

Easy Wins: @Was, @StL, @KC,

Should Win: @Car

Will Be Favored: @Phi, @Ari, @SD

Toss Up: @SF

Their more difficult road games feature multiple teams who are primed to/look as if they will take a step back this year (Ari, SF, Car, arguably SD and Phi too).

I dont mean to say that I think they will go undefeated, or even that they have over a 50% chance of doing so. I do however, think theres ~10-20% chance of them going undefeated, which thus makes it a real possibility

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
their road games:

Their more difficult road games feature multiple teams who are primed to/look as if they will take a step back this year (Ari, SF, Car, arguably SD and Phi too).

I dont mean to say that I think they will go undefeated, or even that they have over a 50% chance of doing so. I do however, think theres ~10-20% chance of them going undefeated, which thus makes it a real possibility

So you'd put money on Seattle going undefeated if the odds were 10-1?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
their road games:

@STL and @KC are easy wins? In that world?

I think you are really underestimating how hard it is to win every game in the NFL. Last year they lost 3 games (1 at home), needed OT to win 2 more, and were a few yards away from losing to Kellen Clemens & the Rams. They are the best team and good teams make plays, but the line is so then between win and loss every week, they aren't gonna run the table.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
their road games:

Not one of those road games are easy wins. Maybe the Redskins, but St Louis is a pretty good team with a tough defense and KC is a good team with one of the best home field advantages in the league. Carolina hinges on Newton's health, the Eagles and Chargers are decent and Arizona is like St Louis but with a better offense. And SF will without a doubt be a favorite in their game in SF, barring injuries.

Taken individually, there is an easy case to be made for Seattle winning any of those 8 games. Taken as a group, that is a pretty difficult road schedule. All of those teams could finish with a .500+ record and have a shot at the playoffs. We're not talking about the Jaguars, Bills, Raiders or Jets here.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 11:12 PM)
Loved my boy Linsley though. 4 of the 6 OSU draft picks are starting in the NFL. Pretty damn good hit rate.

Linsley looked great yesterday. I think he will start for them for a long time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:12 AM)
Loved my boy Linsley though. 4 of the 6 OSU draft picks are starting in the NFL. Pretty damn good hit rate.

PFF had had Linsley as one of just two GB offensive players to be in the "strong positive contribution" category

Peppers had a very bad game as well per PFF, but that was par for the course for the GB defense

Edited by Jake

Britt looked good too. Missouri has a 100% hit rate, everyone is awesome. Nobody sucks, certainly nobody threatens to have a bomb in an airport.

+++

Gosox, I agree. Their organization, top to bottom, seems to be 100% on the same page. Reminds me of the spurs how everyone when interviewed hits the same points, talks about how much they love it and how they believe.

Certainly doesn't hurt that they also feed them PEDs in their water.

Lastly - that TD play to Lockette was totally taken from Auburn's playbook. It's scary how well that worked at the NFL level.

My takeaway from last night is that Seattle is very good, but Green Bay's defense continues to be pretty awful. And their offensive line has some issues. I don't think North has to go through Green Bay this year. I think the division is up for grabs with a few teams good enough to possibly win it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
My takeaway from last night is that Seattle is very good, but Green Bay's defense continues to be pretty awful. And their offensive line has some issues. I don't think North has to go through Green Bay this year. I think the division is up for grabs with a few teams good enough to possibly win it.

As long as Aaron Rodgers is playing, they are still the team to beat.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
I believe Seattle's scheme has him in the same spot no matter what WR is over there, which does seem a bit odd but it seems to work for them. If anything it makes me wonder if GB switched around their game plan to keep Jordy and Cobb away from Sherman as much as possible.

Like you said earlier, has to be an odd feeling.

Yeah, this was pointed out several times last night. They don't move their db's around. So Green Bay certainly wasn't going to line up Jordy against him very often.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 07:51 AM)
Yeah, but I'm starting to think he won't give it up for a while.

Well you would know better than me, but from what I read, they are pretty enamored with Tretter, which is why they let Dietrich-Smith walk and were forced to start Linsley in the first place last night.

I thought he handled the pressure/noise pretty well, although there was one play where the whole line was pretty pissed at him...I think he snapped the ball at the incorrect time and there was a fumble or almost a fumble, but a penalty bailed him out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
Well you would know better than me, but from what I read, they are pretty enamored with Tretter, which is why they let Dietrich-Smith walk and were forced to start Linsley in the first place last night.

I thought he handled the pressure/noise pretty well, although there was one play where the whole line was pretty pissed at him...I think he snapped the ball at the incorrect time and there was a fumble or almost a fumble, but a penalty bailed him out.

Tretter has also looked good, but he can't stay on the field. Tretter has also played every position on the oline between college and the NFL. So he could be used as a super sub. Which they really need right now.

yeah, ok 10% is probably generous, as a 10-1 bet is dumb. I get the compounding probabilities of any team winning 16 games is incredbily low, so for me to have said 10-20% is stupid. I just think this seattle team is just really, really, really good.

I stand by my conviction that the chiefs, rams, cardinals and panthers are all in line for a regression though. Chiefs were a 2-14 team 2 years ago that had a cupcake schedule last year and beat 10 non-playoff teams. I do think a road game at StL is an easy win for this seattle team.

in regards to SF being easy favorites at home - an early spread that i saw is SF -0.5, so essentially a pick em game

I'd also like to remind everyone that last year the darlings the 49ers opened up against the packers and Kaep threw for like 500 yards and 4 tds and everyone thought the 9ers offense had risen! Then it sputtered for the rest of the season.

Point is, this is a long season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
I'd also like to remind everyone that last year the darlings the 49ers opened up against the packers and Kaep threw for like 500 yards and 4 tds and everyone thought the 9ers offense had risen! Then it sputtered for the rest of the season.

Point is, this is a long season.

They still made it to the NFC championship game. I get your point but it's not like the Niners nose dived or something.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
Britt looked good too. Missouri has a 100% hit rate, everyone is awesome. Nobody sucks, certainly nobody threatens to have a bomb in an airport.

+++

Gosox, I agree. Their organization, top to bottom, seems to be 100% on the same page. Reminds me of the spurs how everyone when interviewed hits the same points, talks about how much they love it and how they believe.

Certainly doesn't hurt that they also feed them PEDs in their water.

Lastly - that TD play to Lockette was totally taken from Auburn's playbook. It's scary how well that worked at the NFL level.

That play also shouldn't have been a TD because they had an illegal man downfield.