2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 06:27 AM)
That's the definition of a mediocre quarterback.

I don't hate the guy, but I've accepted the fact the Bears will never win a SB with Cutler at QB.

If they had any type of defense last year, they very well could have.

It's ludicrous that some fans are blaming him for yesterday. Yes, that one INT was awful, but he threw for 300 yards and 2 TDs. The defense still coughed up a lead, Gould missed a chip shot, and Forte fumbled. Team loss.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 06:31 AM)

It's ludicrous that some fans are blaming him for yesterday. Yes, that one INT was awful, but he threw for 300 yards and 2 TDs. The defense still coughed up a lead, Gould missed a chip shot, and Forte fumbled. Team loss.

Well it's an improved defense this year, that's a fact since it couldn't get any worse and Cutler has been the same QB we've seen the past 6 years with bigger,meaner weapons.

I'm not an apologist, that missed field goal really gave Carolina momentum, but Cutler's 2nd pick was a dealbreaker. You're winning by 3, time to seal the game and you make a bonehead pass over an open receiver and leave Carolina at the Bears 32.

The Forte fumble was the cherry on top, but by then the team looked deflated.

I'm not blaming only Cutler, but It starts with him and Trestman.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)

Even if Gould hadn't missed that FG, the Bears still put up only 27 points. This team isn't built to win that kind of game against a decent team.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
Because they're the Cardinals

Ha, good point. I feel like they have had some great rosters the last few seasons, except for the QB position. Plus, it doesn't help to be in the same division as Seattle and San Francisco.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 07:56 AM)
Even if Gould hadn't missed that FG, the Bears still put up only 27 points. This team isn't built to win that kind of game against a decent team.

The thing is, that chip shot miss led directly to a touchdown for Carolina. Who knows what happens if Gould makes it, regardless Carolina doesnt start off with guaranteed good field position.

Not calling out anyone in this thread but I've seen too much defense blaming. The Bears have spent $200 million on offense. The defense forced three turnovers. The offense turned the ball over 4 times and the Bears gave up a TD on Special Teams. In no way was the loss on the defense.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
The thing is, that chip shot miss led directly to a touchdown for Carolina. Who knows what happens if Gould makes it, regardless Carolina doesnt start off with guaranteed good field position.

I agree it contributed to the Bears losing, but I can't get past this point. That highly paid Bears offense is 17th in the league in both yards/game and points/game on the season. With where they've spent their cap dollars the last several seasons, that is a recipe for a losing record.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)

You could also look at it if the Bears score a TD on that drive the game is probably over.

I really thought the franchise was on the right track. They seemed to have a philosophy that was being implemented top down. Now, I'm at like 85% this is a failed experiment. We have the talent to be a playoff team (not even talking about championship at all), but we just have way too undisciplined a team. Good teams may have a really bad QB game and still win. But you don't see good teams consistently make the very very stupid plays the Bears make and win. It has caused us to lose games to lesser opponents consistently.

Jake said it perfectly with the comment about how we have all the negatives of a conservative offense except with the high-turnovers of a high-risk offense.

In most years, 10-6 will get you to the playoffs. Does anyone see the bears going off on a 8-3 finish? What a waste of years from Marshall and Forte.

I don't think anyone can blame Jay alone for the loss yesterday, our defense is still banged up and Carolina woke up in the second half. The bigger issue and it's also something that will never change about Jay is he constantly making dumb mistakes, and he is just bad at running a 2 minute offense, it offsets the value he provides to the offense, and it doesn't put us in good position to win games. Mind you this is one of the highest paying QB's in the league. (Part of it in the FO's fault for trust in him)

Yes, Gould missed a field goal yesterday and Forte had a fumble. But Gould is the 3rd most accurate kicker in NFL history, and Forte is one of the in the league at protecting the ball. Those guys RARELY make mistakes.

By the way, the fact that McCown went from looking like a Pro Bowler in 6 games last year to looking like a scrub again in TB this year says something about the talents we have surrounded Cutler with on offense.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

If our defense is banged up, then Carolina's is decimated. Carolina is a bad bad team with their injuries and we allowed them to drop 31 on us. That "we" isn't referring to the defense, because frankly the offense and special teams have been just as responsible.

I've never seen such a full team effort for bad defense until the Trestman Bears. The offense contrubutes to our bad defense, special teams contributes to our bad defense, and the defense defense does.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
The problem with the Bears is it seems that cutler is not cut out for Trestman's offense. They are stuck together for the next two years then something has got to give.

If Cutler can't succeed in Trestman's system, then I doubt he can succeed in ANY system.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
If Cutler can't succeed in Trestman's system, then I doubt he can succeed in ANY system.

Jay Cutler can't succeed because he is mistake prone and always will be. It has little to do with the system.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)

Agreed. He is a special guy. He seems to lock down on 2 routes and hang on until their open, but also is not great at stepping into pocket so he needs to get rid of the ball faster than he should. So that results in a) throwing into coverage or b) getting sacked/fumbled.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
I don't think anyone can blame Jay alone for the loss yesterday, our defense is still banged up and Carolina woke up in the second half. The bigger issue and it's also something that will never change about Jay is he constantly making dumb mistakes, and he is just bad at running a 2 minute offense, it offsets the value he provides to the offense, and it doesn't put us in good position to win games. Mind you this is one of the highest paying QB's in the league. (Part of it in the FO's fault for trust in him)

Yes, Gould missed a field goal yesterday and Forte had a fumble. But Gould is the 3rd most accurate kicker in NFL history, and Forte is one of the in the league at protecting the ball. Those guys RARELY make mistakes.

By the way, the fact that McCown went from looking like a Pro Bowler in 6 games last year to looking like a scrub again in TB this year says something about the talents we have surrounded Cutler with on offense.

If you want to say that the game yesterday is the fluke that teams commonly lose during the season, fine, I'm ok with that. That definitely happens. But that game just continued a trend of being a middle-of-the-road team on offense, scoring in the low/mid 20's, that has continued all season.

The Bears offense has fallen from #2 in the league to #17 as of now. They're at the top of the NFC North easily if their offense was #5 in the league right now.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 07:13 AM)
You could also look at it if the Bears score a TD on that drive the game is probably over.

Yeah, that is probably true. The Panthers didn't exactly get great field position either, considering it was a chip shot. What, did they get the ball at the 25-30?

I agree with Brian, this is a team loss, and that includes the coaching staff.

I'm not going to give up on this team yet, because I think we can play with anyone, and if we can get some momentum going, this team can certainly roll off 5-6 wins straight. But they've got to tighten it up in a lot of areas in order to do that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
I really thought the franchise was on the right track. They seemed to have a philosophy that was being implemented top down. Now, I'm at like 85% this is a failed experiment. We have the talent to be a playoff team (not even talking about championship at all), but we just have way too undisciplined a team. Good teams may have a really bad QB game and still win. But you don't see good teams consistently make the very very stupid plays the Bears make and win. It has caused us to lose games to lesser opponents consistently.

Jake said it perfectly with the comment about how we have all the negatives of a conservative offense except with the high-turnovers of a high-risk offense.

In most years, 10-6 will get you to the playoffs. Does anyone see the bears going off on a 8-3 finish? What a waste of years from Marshall and Forte.

The schedule does lighten up a lot in the second half, but they've got to tighten their britches again and win some games that they won't be favored to win.

My concern is that this philosophical change of ours (actually building an offense) will be deemed a failure by a successor regime and we go back to the John Shoop/That's my Dick Jauron days.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)

I don't think Jay is dumb or does dumb things. I think Jay is incredibly confident, to the point of arrogance, and perhaps selfishness, in his abilities. The bad interception that was intended for Holmes was not a "dumb" throw, btw. It was an errant throw, yes, but he was open. Up until that point Jay had been extremely accurate (granted, the emphasis was on short passes yesterday), and that one just got away.