2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
My girlfriend is a Pittsburgh sports fan. I'd like to see the Pirates and Steelers win if the Bears and Sox don't but I'm never affected by losses.

As I grow older, and the Sox winning it all helped a lot, I like to see new blood win. I've been around for all our major Championships (while I was around for the Bears SB I didn't pay that much attention to sports as a whole, I was eight). I'd love for either KC/ or Baltimore win the WS. To me it would be boring for either National team to win this year. Same with Seattle last year in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, I want my teams to win (Sox,Bears, Bulls, Hawks), but if they don't seeing a new team win is pretty cool.

I'd love for the Pirates to win, them and the Bills would make me happy just because of the history with both teams, them four SB losses, they need a win sometime.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me wants MLB teams that haven't won in 30+ years to get success because they've had such a drought.

I even followed the Cubs a little in the '80s and 2003 when they were in the playoffs.

I don't really like their fans, but the franchise deserves to rebound.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Part of me wants MLB teams that haven't won in 30+ years to get success because they've had such a drought.

I even followed the Cubs a little in the '80s and 2003 when they were in the playoffs.

This is the one streak I do not want to see end just because it would ruin the jokes.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo

What we have seen over the past year and a half under Joey D is down right embarrassing. I am not one to throw out a lot of extremes or at least I don't believe I am, however, and to be fair I've been saying this since about week 5 of last year, but I have never seen a stupider worse ran special teams unit in my life and for a full season that was while having Devin Hester and Robbie Gould, who should make almost any special teams coach look decent. It is inexcusable how bad we are from our 3rd phase of the game and how much it kills us. We get destroyed in the field position battle week in and week out and it not only hurts our defense but it hurts our offense as well and I think it plays a large part into why we have had so many yards offensively but not as many points (as we have consistently had to work with long fields).

I need both hands and probably feet to count how many times this season (through 6 weeks) that we have backed ourselves between the 0-19 yard line, often times due to us making a penalty and further negating our field position. We honestly would be a better unit if we just stood there and let the other team punt and just had one guy fair catch every time with no one trying to block. I would presume, when you add in penalty yards, we would have a net negative return yards which is just absurdly pathetic.

Note: According to footballoutsiders, we are ranked 30th in average starting field position per drive (through Week 5). It will likely be worse through week 6 as our average starting field position was very poor against the Falcons. This is largely driven by our poor special teams and is kind of interesting given the fact that in the Panther game we had a couple turnovers that gave us very short fields yet we still rank this poorly. Also, from the defensive perspective, we rank 31st in average starting field position per drive. Again, much to do with our special teams unit, especially since, contrary to popular belief, we rank right around the league average in turnovers / game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
I can't shake the feeling that Jason is not pleased with the Bears' special teams play, just waiting for him to come out and say it instead of hiding behind his veil of ambiguity.

I think secretly he feels that special teams is the Bears strength

I still remember when our STs was among the best, seems like a long time ago...

About having two favorite teams in the same sport, I will never understand that. I was born and raised in Chicago but I haven't been back since 89, still I would never root for another team besides the White Sox, Bulls, Bears and Blackhawks. I was even a Sting fan as a kid, though I never got into the Fire. And no, I don't want to see the Cubs ever win a WS, their fans are unbearable now, just imagine if they ever won it all.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
I still remember when our STs was among the best, seems like a long time ago...

About having two favorite teams in the same sport, I will never understand that. I was born and raised in Chicago but I haven't been back since 89, still I would never root for another team besides the White Sox, Bulls, Bears and Blackhawks. I was even a Sting fan as a kid, though I never got into the Fire. And no, I don't want to see the Cubs ever win a WS, their fans are unbearable now, just imagine if they ever won it all.

Not living in Chicago anymore would make dealing with a Cubs World Series win way more bearable. Being there for all the "fans" coming out of the woodwork for the capstone to their miracle season would be awful.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)
That Thursday Night game was close and had drama, but was still ugly. They really need to give teams byes before Thursday games, even the NCAA does that.

They need to get rid of Thursday games outside of Thanksgiving. It's nice to have something to watch but it's dumb after Goodell and NFL starting saying they care about safety and what not.

That Thursday Night game was close and had drama, but was still ugly. They really need to give teams byes before Thursday games, even the NCAA does that.

NCAA teams/conferences schedule their own games so the byes aren't really given by the NCAA.

But I agree, either give the Thursday night teams byes the week before or do away with the Thursday games.