2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
good breakdown but I meant to ask how do the prospects for the 2015 draft look because the Bears should have a pretty decent pick.

They'll probably screw it up by going 4-3 to end the season and ending up in the middle of the round.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a sidenote, I think new leadership will be very beneficial starting next year for Bears. We'll have mainstays from Lovie era out (unfortunate for Tillman but Briggs is clearly not interested in changing) and focus / push will be on young players and with a clean house there should be new opportunities for people to step forward and hopefully clean the bad bad taste of this defense out of everyone's mouths.

I really hope we could get Bowles or Harbaugh. Those are my wish list. I want to build this defense back and focus on an offense that can score but more importantly can play physical football in the elements. I want them to be able to run the football, help in the time of possession, and in this new era of big offenses, help our defense by preventing other offenses from gaining rhythm. We have all the weapons to do it, just need to change the focal point (and need our oline healthier along with an upgrade at the tackle position). I want a nasty d and good special teams and an efficient offense. I don't need the Bears to average 35 per game.

I think Bowles / Harbaugh bring that type of mindset and will help bring that type of team to Chicago.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
good breakdown but I meant to ask how do the prospects for the 2015 draft look because the Bears should have a pretty decent pick.

God, it sucks to be thinking about this in mid-November, but I guess its better than watching games. I don't know how these CBS lists are put together or by whom, but FWIW:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OLB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/ILB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/SS

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/FS

They had some Bears insiders on CSN yesterday. Supposedly, Briggs has had a big attitude problem this year. I guess he was out at the bars until 4 AM last Friday night, mentioned zoning out in meetings etc. He is supposedly a "Lovie guy" and has never connected with this staff, and also is supposedly a little out of shape. They were mentioning one thing that may happen if this continues is Lance getting released.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
They had some Bears insiders on CSN yesterday. Supposedly, Briggs has had a big attitude problem this year. I guess he was out at the bars until 4 AM last Friday night, mentioned zoning out in meetings etc. He is supposedly a "Lovie guy" and has never connected with this staff, and also is supposedly a little out of shape. They were mentioning one thing that may happen if this continues is Lance getting released.

I don't doubt a single word of this post. Briggs has always kind of been a diva. He doesn't seem like the type to help the young guys, so there really is no reason to have him around anymore.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
I don't doubt a single word of this post. Briggs has always kind of been a diva. He doesn't seem like the type to help the young guys, so there really is no reason to have him around anymore.

Watch him get released by the Bears, get picked up by Green Bay and become productive again.

Was watching those two ESPN blowhards, SAS and Bayless and man were they ripping into Jay. Some of it is deserved I guess but they tore him a new one, almost felt bad for him...almost. I never watch them, do they always come down this hard on Cutler?

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)

I'm not sure a little is the right way to put it. I noticed that Briggs looked fatter the first game of the season.

See, the thing is, Briggs has still played well. That's why there hasn't been much huffing and puffing at this point. The problem is that he is clearly sabotaging the unity and leadership of the defense. Releasing him would be a bold move that I could get behind, though - especially since we are all but eliminated from playoff contention.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
Is that the phrase? I always that it was "I'll be damned"

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
Gage has his own language.

LOOOOOOOOL

He writes like a CPA

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
You're being really selective with statistics to make him look bad.

Why didn't you include some of these statistics?

-- 6th cheapest defense in the league saves the Bears money so it can afford some weapons for Cutler, who has none

-- #1 ranked practice defense in NFL for two years in a row

-- Defense broke Aaron Rodgers' clavicle more times than any other defense in NFL history

Keep pushing your agenda

FWIW, that season where JAX had the 4th-ranked defense was the first season in which Mel Tucker was calling plays. Before that, Del Rio was doing the play calling.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)

It should have happened a while ago. If you are the coaches, then coach. If that means you need to send a message, send the message. It also has been very clear that Briggs thinks very poorly of the current staff. He's pretty much said so and his actions further indicate such. How our front office and coaching staff has handled it has been poor and it should have been something pretty easy to do. Either you bench Briggs or cut him but you have to set an example. Right now I feel as if the entire coaching staff (or at least primary coaches) are not respected enough by the players and people don't listen. I also think we have major schematic issues to go beyond this as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
And now Brandon Marshall is offering a guy on Twitter $25k to box him. This year keeps getting better.

I don't get all this talk about how angry Bears fans are right now. It sucks, but this team is well into comically dysfunctional fun-bad territory now, just enjoy the ride.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
I don't get all this talk about how angry Bears fans are right now. It sucks, but this team is well into comically dysfunctional fun-bad territory now, just enjoy the ride.

It really would be funny if they gave up 50 to Minnesota.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
It should have happened a while ago. If you are the coaches, then coach. If that means you need to send a message, send the message. It also has been very clear that Briggs thinks very poorly of the current staff. He's pretty much said so and his actions further indicate such. How our front office and coaching staff has handled it has been poor and it should have been something pretty easy to do. Either you bench Briggs or cut him but you have to set an example. Right now I feel as if the entire coaching staff (or at least primary coaches) are not respected enough by the players and people don't listen. I also think we have major schematic issues to go beyond this as well.

The whole situation is beyond repair. No matter what happens for the rest of this season how do any of these guys survive. I am sure Emery probably will but really he is just as much part of the problem. It is pretty diifficult to make that many damning decisions as he has clumped into a couple of years like this. The Bears are going to be bad for at least the next couple of years after this.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)

Maybe the diehard meatheads, me, IDGAF...I used to get angry after a Bears defeat, especially if it was against a division rival. I've come to accept the fact that Cutler can't beat Rodgers/GB so It's not like I was expecting Chicago to be competitive.

I've tuned the Bears out and it's all about the Bulls right now.

I hear a lot of people say we fixed the OL, and I just wanted to point this stat out....

Jay has been sacked 6.5 sack% of the time this year (including the SF game where he was sacked just once)....An OL that featured J'Marcus Webb/Chris Spencer/Roberto Garza/Chris Williams/Lance Louis with starts also coming from Gabe Carimi, Frank Omiyale, and Edwin Williams, gave up sacks to Jay 6.8%. (Just 5.1% last year)

This has magnified Jays biggest issue, and that's fumbling the football. His INT% is actually better this year but in 9 games this year vs 11 last year he's fumbled the ball 10 times vs just 5 last year.

Jay has statistically been better this year than last and I struggled to find out why this team has sucked so hard and I think I just found it.

*Waits for excuses comments*

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
I hear a lot of people say we fixed the OL, and I just wanted to point this stat out....

Jay has been sacked 6.5 sack% of the time this year (including the SF game where he was sacked just once)....An OL that featured J'Marcus Webb/Chris Spencer/Roberto Garza/Chris Williams/Lance Louis with starts also coming from Gabe Carimi, Frank Omiyale, and Edwin Williams, gave up sacks to Jay 6.8%. (Just 5.1% last year)

This has magnified Jays biggest issue, and that's fumbling the football. His INT% is actually better this year but in 9 games this year vs 11 last year he's fumbled the ball 10 times vs just 5 last year.

Jay has statistically been better this year than last and I struggled to find out why this team has sucked so hard and I think I just found it.

*Waits for excuses comments*

We have had a lot of injuries at the oline but more importantly, I think the tackle position has became a major area of need. There was an article out there that if we can trade Jay and his contract, we would save 12.5M next year (not sure if that was out of his cap hit of $15M) and we end up with just 2.5M or what. I wonder if Titans would be interested? I am 100% on board with moving Jay and if we could clear the bulk of his cap hit, all the better.

I think he's the best QB we have had in a long time, but I don't think he's good enough and I think right now, we need a new leader from the top down in our organization and I think it starts by dumping GM, QB, HC and moving along from there. I think we can find a vet QB who can come in while we draft another QB (I'm ok with Sanchez for a year or two…not sure if he'd be interested or someone else while we groom a QB). Focus on building up that defense, etc and figure our offense can still be quality because of Forte, etc.

I really like Harbaugh and if it isn't him, Bowles from Arizona.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
We have had a lot of injuries at the oline but more importantly, I think the tackle position has became a major area of need.

Sure looks like it. Bushrod and Mills gave up 8 sacks all of last year, neither were hurt last year so a combined 32 starts between the 2. In 15 starts between the 2 this year they have given up 7.5. Can't differentiate Ola's time at guard and tackle (I'm using Stats.com) but he has given up 3. Chances are at least 1 of those was at tackle so through 9 games tackles have given up more sacks than all of last year.