2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 05:38 AM)
Cutler had no opportunity to play action, which is actually when he performs better. Forte actually called that out too, he said the D line was pinning their ears back and coming full tilt because they knew that no run was coming.

8 runs. 7 called. All game.

Seriously, that should get Trestman fired right there. Not only is that stupid from a score standpoint, but that is also how you get your QB killed.

I don't even get that upset about the lack of runs so much as the lack of creating plays which are designed to beat the pass rush. Roll Jay out, work quick slants and outs, etc. I watch all these other teams play and see a variety of schemes employed to beat a good run defense that also rushes the passer well. But we just seem to run the same old s***, game after game after game.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 07:51 AM)
Forte had some pointed criticism about it

Forte pretty much called out Cutler, talking about repeated audibles. A lineman, can't recall who, gave the impression that we ultimately only ran a very small portion of the times we called for run plays.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 07:50 AM)
I don't even get that upset about the lack of runs so much as the lack of creating plays which are designed to beat the pass rush. Roll Jay out, work quick slants and outs, etc. I watch all these other teams play and see a variety of schemes employed to beat a good run defense that also rushes the passer well. But we just seem to run the same old s***, game after game after game.

Im not a "run to pass should be 50/50" type guy, and of course i want to see more creativity with Cutler, but that was just stupid on thursday.

I just think Trestman got to a point when things got bad that he is afraid to move, and now the playbook is as simple as simple could be. If i never see another bubble screen in my life i will die a happy man. Rip that page out of the book and draw up something else, you cant march up and down the field all game on that one play

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Especially when you have one of the top 5 or 6 RBs in the league as well

Speaking of, there has been a guy who has called every 670 The Score daytime show this week claiming that Forte isnt good and that the Bears need to get rid of him because all of his production is garbage time production. it has been absolutely hilarious hearing every show shut him down. He starts every call the same and then starts on Forte, and you can practically hear the record scratch sound when they realize what he is saying

I actually don't think that Forte is that great. He is an above average runner and a top tier pass catcher as a RB. He's an awful pass blocker, from what appears to be laziness. He's really good, I want him on the team, we should be running more, but I don't think it's any kind of travesty that he doesn't get 30 rushes per game.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
I actually don't think that Forte is that great. He is an above average runner and a top tier pass catcher as a RB. He's an awful pass blocker, from what appears to be laziness. He's really good, I want him on the team, we should be running more, but I don't think it's any kind of travesty that he doesn't get 30 rushes per game.

This is fine, but it isnt "I want him off the team he is garbage and a stat padder".

I would like to see him get at least 20 carries, get some heat off of Cutler.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 05:12 AM)
I saw that too, I just didn't include his name because he has little input into the playcalling. The other three are the main culprits, yet they just kind of play the "I don't know what happened" game.

Someone mentioned that the score got away from them, but to start the 2nd half only down 10, they called 12 straight passes. Next drive down 7, 4 passes and 1 run.

Yeah, I saw the score got away from them. We had the freaking lead early on and it wasn't like it was a route when the 2nd half started either. They are a bunch of idiots. It is pathetic how bad our head coach and offensive play calling are.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 05:38 AM)
Cutler had no opportunity to play action, which is actually when he performs better. Forte actually called that out too, he said the D line was pinning their ears back and coming full tilt because they knew that no run was coming.

8 runs. 7 called. All game.

Seriously, that should get Trestman fired right there. Not only is that stupid from a score standpoint, but that is also how you get your QB killed.

It is just pathetic. It amazes me how stupid our staff is. Think about it another way...we have a turnover prone QB (historically speaking and currently speaking) and we continuously do nothing but throw. You throw more and you are going to have higher turnovers but the turnover % is also going to typically go up when you are throwing that much. Defenses know what is coming, play action doesn't work, you don't have a good mix, can be more likely you are in 2nd / 3rd and long situations, etc. It is brutal how bad this team is ran. I hope there is a lot of truth to the rumors some of the national radio guys keep talking about Harbaugh / Chicago and returning to his roots.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 06:03 AM)
Im not a "run to pass should be 50/50" type guy, and of course i want to see more creativity with Cutler, but that was just stupid on thursday.

I just think Trestman got to a point when things got bad that he is afraid to move, and now the playbook is as simple as simple could be. If i never see another bubble screen in my life i will die a happy man. Rip that page out of the book and draw up something else, you cant march up and down the field all game on that one play

Cutler has said it time and time again as well, you can't consistently score nickle and diming it down the field, you need bigger plays. The linemen who said something was Bushrod but he kind of credited why we audibled in certain situations. The problem is, every time that excuse comes up (we' audibled), the reality is it was 2 or 3 runs. 2 or 3 runs doesn't make the situation any better. It is a joke. And if that is the case, someone needs to tell Jay, I don't care, we are running right now and if you audible, you are out of the game. This offense and this organization are an utter joke.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
How likely is it that we could replace Mel Tucker with Rex Ryan, and would it make a damn bit of difference?

I think it makes a significant impact. Rex Ryan has his unit ranked 7th in yards. That said, it is 25th in PPG, a stat that does matter. Over the past three years, it has never ranked below 11th in yards per game and this year he is doing it with a bunch of nobodies in the secondary. Rex Ryan has forgotten more things about football then Tucker and knows how to make adjustments. All that said, the only way Ryan comes here is with another coach. Why in any sake would any reputable coach who has major upside take our defensive position if Trestman sticks around? The only chance is someone who is out of the league and has an itch (maybe a Wade Phillips...and that would be a major coup) or you are going to hire some defensive backs coach or dline coach to take the job. Maybe you get lucky and they have a bright future but any real top DC candidate isn't going to come here over numerous other available jobs, imo.

And yes, our roster has issues, but our dline is not bad and our corners are not bad. Our safety's are below average and our LB's are awful but we should not rank as poorly as we do and in the NFL, coaching matters so so so much. And the Jets have an even worse offense then the Bears so to have given up so few yardage despite Geno's giveaways is impressive. I would presume a lot of those giveaways are one of the reasons they rank pretty poorly in PPG. That said, losing can also minimize your YPG stat as a team that is up big probably isn't going down field, etc, and is more focused on running out the clock.

If the Bears could hire Harbaugh and bring in a D coord like Ryan that would be a major coup. I don't think any young whippersnapper coach is going to hire Ryan as a DC. It will only be a team with a HC who has a lot of comfort / job security and Harbaugh would be that type of guy, imo. I'd also be okay if you brought in a sexy college hire and paired him with Rex Ryan (say a Kevin Sumlin).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
i honestly dont think Rex Ryan goes back to DC. His name and history is probably going to get him another HC job(a la Lovie)

I'm not convinced of that. He's coached good defenses, but pretty crappy teams. Granted, the NYJ are a clusterf*** management-wise, but I don' think he's done much to distinguish himself as a head coach.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
I'm not convinced of that. He's coached good defenses, but pretty crappy teams. Granted, the NYJ are a clusterf*** management-wise, but I don' think he's done much to distinguish himself as a head coach.

He did get to a conference title game multiple times.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
It is just pathetic. It amazes me how stupid our staff is. Think about it another way...we have a turnover prone QB (historically speaking and currently speaking) and we continuously do nothing but throw. You throw more and you are going to have higher turnovers but the turnover % is also going to typically go up when you are throwing that much. Defenses know what is coming, play action doesn't work, you don't have a good mix, can be more likely you are in 2nd / 3rd and long situations, etc. It is brutal how bad this team is ran. I hope there is a lot of truth to the rumors some of the national radio guys keep talking about Harbaugh / Chicago and returning to his roots.

Just curious, it's been mentioned that Cutler audibled out of runs some times, do we know how often that happened?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
Just curious, it's been mentioned that Cutler audibled out of runs some times, do we know how often that happened?

In other weeks, coaches got specific and said 2 or 3. No idea how many this week but that number isn't the type that is truly impactful in our run / pass ratio. I also believe he has audibled into running plays as well (so not sure what the net number lost is due to audibles). It is just an excuse and a pathetic one coming from three different people directly involved in our playcalling (Trestman / Kromer / Cutler). It is embarrassing how dysfunctional this unit is. The only saving grace is with every week, I get the feel that we have high school coaches coaching us vs. real top quality NFL coaches, the better I get about this rebuild being a little easier if we can get the right guy in here. Of course, some of that has to do with whatever the next regime thinks of Cutler.

My big thing is that we shouldn't cater to Jay but if people want to keep him around the next 2 years, I can live with it, but we can't just put all of our resources into the offense anymore and can't design a team that is going to win by being an offensive juggernaut. We are going to have to have a very sound team all around with a strong defense and a smart offense / special teams unit.

For pete sake, Kromer was talking about how the reason we didn't run was because we wanted to start the game off passing and then go into the rushing attack, but then by that point we were down. The media then talked about how they were winning early and even to start the 2nd half it was only a 10 point game, so it wasn't soon enough to stop and Kromer responded with "good point". I'm sorry but these guys are just laughably bad.

I don't know if Kromer is just stuck in a bad spot or what but we run the most vanilla and boring offense in the league and it is easily the most predictable. We clearly can't adjust and every other unit has adjusted to us with relative ease. It is pathetic and bush league.