2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
I know he failed with the Browns but he was successful in Seattle and obviously in Green Bay. I guess the question with Holmgren is, does that mean we go cheaper on a coach, cause my #1 priority is Jim Harbaugh. I presume they could work together as long as their egos could fit into a room and Holmgren would probably hire a young personnel guy who could be groomed and do a lot of the heavy lifting and probably would be groomed into the role of GM. That would obviously be extremely expensive for the Bears though.

Hard to pin that on him with the ownership situation that came in and destroyed it all

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Let's bring this back to the NFL thread:

This is sort of my issue - nearly every move was met with "yeah, I like it!" Some people criticized his out of the box hire with Trestman, but none of the REAL criticism showed up until about week 5 of this year. Last year he was a genius. No one criticized the move to get rid of Peppers and sign Allen. We all knew Allen wasn't going to lead the league in sacks, but his no-show is an abnormality. His pick of a CB over a safety is just preference, it's not some terrible decision.

Emery deserves to be fired because he's ultimately responsible for this team, a team that under performed, a team led by a guy that shouldn't be a coach in this league. I think the majority of his decisions were sound and made sense, they just didn't work out as planned.

I think I was one of the few people who took a more detailed prove it stance on Emery, largely because I wasn't sold on his draft picks along with how bad we have screwed up the LB position. I have probably been the most anti Bostic / Greene guys out there, than you add Shea to the mix (and really that whole first draft under his watch) and really you have quite a few places where he has some egg on his face. I will say this past draft was his best draft and looks like it can be an impactful one for seasons to come. I really love the young DT's we drafted and Carey looks like a solid pick as well. Punter is growing and Fuller has struggled through the rookie wall but upside is still there.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
I think I was one of the few people who took a more detailed prove it stance on Emery, largely because I wasn't sold on his draft picks along with how bad we have screwed up the LB position. I have probably been the most anti Bostic / Greene guys out there, than you add Shea to the mix (and really that whole first draft under his watch) and really you have quite a few places where he has some egg on his face. I will say this past draft was his best draft and looks like it can be an impactful one for seasons to come. I really love the young DT's we drafted and Carey looks like a solid pick as well. Punter is growing and Fuller has struggled through the rookie wall but upside is still there.

Shea has been a disaster. I think Bostic less so. He isn't going to work, but he did show a lot of potential early. Chalk that up to "just didn't develop as we thought." I'd have to look and see what other LB's were picked around him and how they're doing. At least he was drafting the right need.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
Let's bring this back to the NFL thread:

This is sort of my issue - nearly every move was met with "yeah, I like it!" Some people criticized his out of the box hire with Trestman, but none of the REAL criticism showed up until about week 5 of this year. Last year he was a genius. No one criticized the move to get rid of Peppers and sign Allen. We all knew Allen wasn't going to lead the league in sacks, but his no-show is an abnormality. His pick of a CB over a safety is just preference, it's not some terrible decision.

Emery deserves to be fired because he's ultimately responsible for this team, a team that under performed, a team led by a guy that shouldn't be a coach in this league. I think the majority of his decisions were sound and made sense, they just didn't work out as planned.

edit: he should also be fired for not stepping in to control the situation as it spiraled out of control too. That's a huge failing on his part.

I think while he did attempt to address significant issues on the DL and OL, the complete lack of addressing the linebackers and safeties has really come back to haunt this team.

hand picking Tucker and Decamillis really has been a nightmare as well.

I mean, really you can look at any failed GM and say "I can see his intentions, they just didnt work out". But the NFL is a bottom line business, and this season has turned into an embarrassing s*** show that manages to get worse every time someone comes to the podium.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
Shea has been a disaster. I think Bostic less so. He isn't going to work, but he did show a lot of potential early. Chalk that up to "just didn't develop as we thought." I'd have to look and see what other LB's were picked around him and how they're doing. At least he was drafting the right need.

2 picks later Jamie Collins (Patriots), 6 picks later Arthur Brown (Ravens), 16 picks later Sio Moore(Oakland)

And lets not ever forget who the Patriots drafted after the Bears took Shae, Chandler Jones

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
Yes, but the holes are enormous.

Meh, with a solid draft and 29 mill in cap room it's not impossible to fill those holes.

In my ideal fantasy world K.J. Wright and Louis Delmas hit the fa market and sign with the Bears. That fills the 2 biggest needs quite nicely.

Then in the draft they hit on another corner, an offensive tackle, and a center early.

Most importantly a whole new coaching staff

(And yes I'm saying all this with Jay as our starting qb)

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
Hard to pin that on him with the ownership situation that came in and destroyed it all

I completely agree with you on that. Meant to put that point in the post but kind of just assumed everyone go, well its the Browns, haha.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)

I don't think Bostic ever looked good. He has awful football instincts and really doesn't make plays. Our only young LB that I would bet on is Jones.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
Meh, with a solid draft and 29 mill in cap room it's not impossible to fill those holes.

In my ideal fantasy world K.J. Wright and Louis Delmas hit the fa market and sign with the Bears. That fills the 2 biggest needs quite nicely.

Then in the draft they hit on another corner, an offensive tackle, and a center early.

Most importantly a whole new coaching staff

(And yes I'm saying all this with Jay as our starting qb)

I think as an organization, we need to stop looking at FA as this magical elixir and really win this back in the scouting and draft. The best teams draft well and do it well. That also means you can make timely personell moves via FA, etc, but we can't look at spending significant cap room each year via free agency, imo.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
I'm saying he has negotiated well and used his assets wisely (e.g., getting Marshall for a 3rd round pick, waiting on the Forte deal and getting a very reasonable deal for the best all around back in football, etc.). He plays the mechanics of the GM game well, which is why giving up so much negotiation leverage just to prove a point to a QB suggests a deal has already been made. It's possible he's making a stupid move, but I don't see the track record for that.

Did you not hear his defense of Jay being an elite QB being his record being over .500. That was baffling. He also ignored LB last year after the footage on Greene / Bostic was brutal his rookie year (forced Shea on us another year as well to try and justify his move). Largely ignored safety, which had been a huge fundemental problem. He hired our three worst coaches (Trestman / Decamillis / Tucker). The list goes on and on. He's just as much in this thing as Trestman, imo.

What is maddening about Emery is that he is sooooo obsessed with finding the diamond in the rough that he doesn't have any interest in making the logical and obvious moves...ever. He did it with the coach and most of his draft picks. I think you have to be able to make the predictable move at times because its the most beneficial for the team. I am pretty sure you still get credit for those moves that pan out to.

I love Mike Holmgren as a coach. I wish he was still coaching in the NFL.

He really has done nothing as a upper management guy. I think it's been his downfall always trying to be the guy in charge instead of just being the coach.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
What is maddening about Emery is that he is sooooo obsessed with finding the diamond in the rough that he doesn't have any interest in making the logical and obvious moves...ever. He did it with the coach and most of his draft picks. I think you have to be able to make the predictable move at times because its the most beneficial for the team. I am pretty sure you still get credit for those moves that pan out to.

I agree with this. Sometimes guys try to think too far out of the box when the answers are in the box. I don't know if he wants to look smarter or what, but at this point, he's made enough bad decisions to where most teams wouldn't want him making decisions anymore.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
I think as an organization, we need to stop looking at FA as this magical elixir and really win this back in the scouting and draft. The best teams draft well and do it well. That also means you can make timely personell moves via FA, etc, but we can't look at spending significant cap room each year via free agency, imo.

Certainly would be nice but were talking about a 2-3 year minimum (depending on how well we start drafting) rebuild.

I see no problem adding talent via Fa if you have no in house talent to begin with.

Start drafting well then in 2-3 years they can starting resigning their own vs going outside the org.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
Barnwell made a good point about this benching - doesn't it sort of suggest a deal is already in place to move him? Otherwise why give up your negotiating position so soon? If no deal is in place, the Bears have let it be known that they now HAVE to get rid of him. They've lost a lot of bargaining power.

That's not what happened though. Trestman benched him to show that the system still works and Cutler is the problem. If Emery wanted to sit Cutler for 2 weeks, they would have made up an injury. It was a Trestman decision.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
That's not what happened though. Trestman benched him to show that the system still works and Cutler is the problem. If Emery wanted to sit Cutler for 2 weeks, they would have made up an injury. It was a Trestman decision.

Benching the highest paid player in the league is going to need the OK from the GM and someone in ownership. No chance Trestman went rogue on that decision.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
I agree with this. Sometimes guys try to think too far out of the box when the answers are in the box. I don't know if he wants to look smarter or what, but at this point, he's made enough bad decisions to where most teams wouldn't want him making decisions anymore.

I agree, too. Some people have a need to prove that they're smarter than the average Bear.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Benching the highest paid player in the league is going to need the OK from the GM and someone in ownership. No chance Trestman went rogue on that decision.

Go do some reading. That is what happened. Many have said it. Trestman has control of the game day 53. He wants to make Jay Cutler the scapegoat and show that his offense works so that he can land another OC job somewhere. Jay Cutler is the #2 for Sunday. If they were preserving him, he'd be inactive. This is a Trestman decision.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Unless he really is trying to get fired.

He already knows that he's fired. In 10 days he will be gone. He is deciding to go out his own way. Cutler stopped running Trestman's offense so Trestman is having Clausen run it. Trestman is trying to place all of the blame on Jay Cutler to salvage an OC job for next year.