2014-2015 NFL Football thread

i just dont think you can play the "well he could have moved down and gotten him later" game like that. A few teams came out and said they really liked Long and considered him late in the first round.

Regardless of hindsight. Long was a really good pick.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to George. These were absolutely the right moves. Years ago, I would have been celebrating. Today, as an old man with a family and mortgage, I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, even ones with a bit of contractual security to cushion the blow.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Long is already a two time pro bowler. It was thought as an overdraft when it happened, most analysts have backtracked on that and admitted that it was a very good pick

He's been a good player. I like that pick, but him making the pro bowl twice has been a joke.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
1 of 3 first round picks Emery made is a pattern?

I'd say that I've heard all 3 of Emery's 1st round picks described as overdrafts. In the following days with each of them there were suddenly reports of "secret teams" also after the same guys, which may very well have been accurate but which was still very reminiscent of a Scott Boras technique as well.

And anyway...those "successful" first round picks haven't translated to very many wins on the field, so that's hardly a defense for him anyway. Maybe you have a pro-bowl left guard, but you still haven't got a very good offense.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
i just dont think you can play the "well he could have moved down and gotten him later" game like that. A few teams came out and said they really liked Long and considered him late in the first round.

Regardless of hindsight. Long was a really good pick.

It was a great pick. It was also a reach. Those don't have to be mutually exclusive.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Kudos to George. These were absolutely the right moves. Years ago, I would have been celebrating. Today, as an old man with a family and mortgage, I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, even ones with a bit of contractual security to cushion the blow.

I feel the same way, but these guys will still get paid millions to watch their grass grow the next couple of years, and I think should not have much problem finding other jobs, obviously a rung or 2 below where they were at here.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
It was a great pick. It was also a reach. Those don't have to be mutually exclusive.

It was a reached based in where Mel Kiper and Todd McShay had him ranked. There was talk the Bears should have moved down 4 or 5 spots. Howie said another team had called and Kyle would have been off the board. That might be BS, but teams don't rank players the exact same as the ESPN guys.

This Emery/Trestman era is going to be a punch line to jokes 10-20 years from now. This day couldnt have come soon enough.

I think George finally gets it after this embarrassment. I think he is going to get a football guy in here that is proven and keep Ted Phillips out of football decisions. That is the most important aspect of this and should trickle down to the field in due time.

The key here is it wasn't just a football failure. The locker room and players interactions with the media were out of control. Fans not showing up in droves. I think it scared the mccaskeys, in order for them to remain perpetually rich hey need to at least appear to have all in order.

I can't believe demitrioff survived. Smith was bad at clock management, but they had a baaddd offensive and defensive line, and injuries all through linebackers and dbs.

But if you hire mike tide you deserve to be fired.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
The key here is it wasn't just a football failure. The locker room and players interactions with the media were out of control. Fans not showing up in droves. I think it scared the mccaskeys, in order for them to remain perpetually rich hey need to at least appear to have all in order.

The Bears are a top to bottom disaster. They have basically become the Raiders.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
That also opens up a potential Cutler landing spot.

on NFL.com there was a short list of potential starting QB's. the 2

that i am entice about are the 2 that will cost at least a mid-round

pick.

the QB from Houston and San Fran QB.

the bears should start there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm home today and a bit bored, and am watching Kap and Haugh. Desperate times. I'll say Haugh ain't bad.

I'd go after Chase Daniel. Mainly because Mizzou. What could go wrong? Oh, Gabbert.

I want Shane Ray in the draft and to sign Sam.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
This Emery/Trestman era is going to be a punch line to jokes 10-20 years from now. This day couldnt have come soon enough.

I think George finally gets it after this embarrassment. I think he is going to get a football guy in here that is proven and keep Ted Phillips out of football decisions. That is the most important aspect of this and should trickle down to the field in due time.

No it won't. This is just another failure of this organization. Another terrible hire, another terrible signing. Add them to the list. At some point they're all forgotten.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
Chiefs are first team since 1964 to not have a WR catch a TD pass.

Seems unreal in this modern football league.

Bowe had a TD pass caught on Sunday, but he fumbled at the goal line and Kelce recovered in the end zone. I believe they actually called it a TD catch for Bowe on the field, but replay reversed it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
No it won't. This is just another failure of this organization. Another terrible hire, another terrible signing. Add them to the list. At some point they're all forgotten.

Eh, every head coach in my lifetime at least made it to the playoffs in their tenure. This was a huge failure.