2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
Hub Arkush not wanting John Fox is one of the reasons I really want them to hire him. Hub is a dope.

I thought Hub was too negative then he basically called the last two years being a failure, with a lack of talent that required a rebuild, and trestman would fail.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
Hub Arkush has some weird negativity toward Fox. I don't want to discredit 2 superbowls, but NFL is also a what have you done for me lately league and his Washington days were very dysfunctional, so were latter Denver years.

His argument seems to be that Fox is being forced on Pace. I'd want to know if that's the truth, or if it's just a convenient media narrative to latch on to "Bears want to pair experienced coach with youthful GM".

When was John Fox in Washington?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
I want zero part of Schwartz. Undisciplined.

The Bills defense is far more talented than the Bears, but it was far from undisciplined. In fact, with the conservative nature of Schwartz's play calling, I'd say his defense is incredibly disciplined.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
The Bills defense is far more talented than the Bears, but it was far from undisciplined. In fact, with the conservative nature of Schwartz's play calling, I'd say his defense is incredibly disciplined.

I think he's just one of those guys who isn't fit to be a head coach. Those Lions teams were incredibly undisciplined.

I would say the dysfunction that Shanahan oversaw was tremendously worse than anything that Fox presided over. And even in the midst of infighting with Elway(which was really kept under wraps until about 4 days ago), he managed to go 12-4 and get a first round bye.

I would be tremendously disappointed if they went after leatherface.

And to be clear, I like listening to Hub, but he is right as much as he is wrong. And even he will admit to that for the most part, a few of his most recent predictions were that Seattle was just another team (this was in November of 2013) and they wont make it out of the first round.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
I would say the dysfunction that Shanahan oversaw was tremendously worse than anything that Fox presided over. And even in the midst of infighting with Elway(which was really kept under wraps until about 4 days ago), he managed to go 12-4 and get a first round bye.

I would be tremendously disappointed if they went after leatherface.

And to be clear, I like listening to Hub, but he is right as much as he is wrong. And even he will admit to that for the most part, a few of his most recent predictions were that Seattle was just another team (this was in November of 2013) and they wont make it out of the first round.

I would really like to know though, when we read "Bears want to pair inexperienced GM with experienced Coach", if that is just lazy sports narrative who assume that is a pair that makes sense, or if they are hearing this from Accorsi/George/Ted.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)
I thought Hub was too negative then he basically called the last two years being a failure, with a lack of talent that required a rebuild, and trestman would fail.

He also said last year, anyone thinking Seattle is a good football team needs to study them a little more.

Hub has some insight, but there is no question he is still bitter he isn't in the Bears booth. I doubt he will ever let that go. There really is a negative on just about every player, coach or executive they bring in. Hub was kind to Pace, but I really think he would have a problem with just about anyone the Bears bring in to coach. He is the one saying it is one of the worst jobs available. Then he expects them to bring in the best candidate of them all.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
I do think it's one of the worst jobs available. I'd rate it

Broncos

49ers

Falcons

Buffalo

Bears

Jets

Raiders

Then you would have to expect the Bears to get at best, the 5th best coach in the pool. The problem I have with Hub is he will emphasize how unattractive the job is, but then moan when this unattractive job doesn't produce the hiring of the best coach in his mind.

I am not so gung ho about Fox, but I think he could be a good "bridge" coach. From what I heard yesterday the Broncos don't think Gase is ready. Fox could bring him with, and maybe he is the ultimate replacement.

Edited by Dick Allen

Broncos

49ers

Falcons

Buffalo

Bears

Jets

Raiders

I think I would rather the Raiders job than the Jets job, all things considered, but both have been resolved at this juncture so it's a moot point.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
The combination of him and John Fox on defense would be fantastic.

Absolutely.

I really hated Schwartz when he was in Detroit, but I could look the other way if he was our DC.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
Absolutely.

I really hated Schwartz when he was in Detroit, but I could look the other way if he was our DC.

I don't want him being the leader but as long as you have a HC who controls overall discipline like Fox, than I think the combo is great. I wonder if Maronne ends up being our OC (if Fox gets hired). Otherwise he'll just be on the sidelines. Looks very unlikely that he is going to get a job (unless he ends up in Atlanta). Raiders haven't been on his radar and now with the Niners hiring Gase, Jets hiring Bowles, and the Bronco's focused on Kubiak, there really are zero places for Maronne to go. I think Fox as the HC with Maronne as the OC and someone like Schwartz as the DC would be amazing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)
Then you would have to expect the Bears to get at best, the 5th best coach in the pool. The problem I have with Hub is he will emphasize how unattractive the job is, but then moan when this unattractive job doesn't produce the hiring of the best coach in his mind.

I am not so gung ho about Fox, but I think he could be a good "bridge" coach. From what I heard yesterday the Broncos don't think Gase is ready. Fox could bring him with, and maybe he is the ultimate replacement.

He is going to San Fran according to "sources"

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
I don't want him being the leader but as long as you have a HC who controls overall discipline like Fox, than I think the combo is great. I wonder if Maronne ends up being our OC (if Fox gets hired). Otherwise he'll just be on the sidelines. Looks very unlikely that he is going to get a job (unless he ends up in Atlanta). Raiders haven't been on his radar and now with the Niners hiring Gase, Jets hiring Bowles, and the Bronco's focused on Kubiak, there really are zero places for Maronne to go. I think Fox as the HC with Maronne as the OC and someone like Schwartz as the DC would be amazing.

I agree with everything you said. Though I think there is a decent chance Marrone sits out next year. He's making $4M next year no matter what he does. That could be a good reason to take a year off, re-evaluate how he runs a team, learn from other coaches, etc., and then try to a HC job again in 2016. But yeah, a Fox-Marrone-Schwartz coaching trio would be really good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)
I think I would rather the Raiders job than the Jets job, all things considered, but both have been resolved at this juncture so it's a moot point.

Raiders just have zero patience with coaches. They fire them every 2 years. They have a better roster than probably ever, at this point, but even still I'd just feel like you are a replaceable cog that they don't have much buy-in on since they roll through so many.

While Jim Schwartz was in Detroit his highest ranked defense in points allowed was 15th. Bottom half of the league every other year.

Not sure he is all that great. Maybe I'm just biased cause he is a big idiot, who let his players go on the field and try to hurt other players. Not to mention the time he tried to attack another coach.

Broncos

49ers

Falcons

Buffalo

Bears

Jets

Raiders

If Manning doesn't come back, the Broncos job isn't as appealing as some of the others (in my opinion).

Brock Osweiler doesn't scream immediate contender and the defense is full of high priced veterans. If Manning comes back, they are contenders again next year. If he doesn't, their offense regresses by a lot.

But that's one of the compelling arguments for Kubiak out there. If they think CJ Anderson is a top flight back, Kubiak's schemes could let the Broncos transition seamlessly into a running team if they get competent QB play from somewhere.

Like Fox for the Bears. He's a flawed coach, but he has a strong track record on the defensive side of the ball. Barnwell had a good column on Fox yesterday that touches on a lot of his strengths and weaknesses as a coach.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/john-fox-denver-broncos/

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)

I agree with this, but what good is a "bridge" coach? Fox is the safe, easy choice, no doubt, but I would rather the Bears dare greatly, or, in other words, go big or go home. Taking a risk doesn't mean you have to be reckless, like hiring a CFL noob, so I hope

Emery's failure doesn't push them in too conservative a direction.

Would Marrone take an OC job? Right now his stock may be down, but he's getting $4 mill and has a cozy consultant job in Houston if he wants to just sit on his $4 million with no stressful responsibilities or projects and that allows him another season to try and find a better opportunity for him personally. Right now the Bears offense seems like a shipwreck and he is in charge of trying to turn it around. Not that it's impossible, but it's not the easiest thing to do.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
Would Marrone take an OC job? Right now his stock may be down, but he's getting $4 mill and has a cozy consultant job in Houston if he wants to just sit on his $4 million with no stressful responsibilities or projects and that allows him another season to try and find a better opportunity for him personally. Right now the Bears offense seems like a shipwreck and he is in charge of trying to turn it around. Not that it's impossible, but it's not the easiest thing to do.

Fox would supposedly bring Kyle Shanahan as OC. Which would be awesome.