2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
The OC throwing the WR under the bus multiple times was pretty awful. That and his nonsensical explanations about wanting to take time off the clock and play for 3rd/4th down, so he called a quick inside pass on the goal line.

Gotta wonder if Bevell is on top of the Head Coach Candidate list next season. Both the bad playcall and then blaming the WR immediately afterwards really does not paint him in a good light

I think if you make a pass call there, a fade to chris matthews makes more sense. There's a reason fades are popular goal line calls, they aren't crazy successful but very rarely do they get a turnover. But a slant over the middle when it's so crowded just is that dangerous.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
I think if you make a pass call there, a fade to chris matthews makes more sense. There's a reason fades are popular goal line calls, they aren't crazy successful but very rarely do they get a turnover. But a slant over the middle when it's so crowded just is that dangerous.

a fade, a play action roll out, anything but a slant over the middle from the 1 to a WR who isn't exactly that good.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
The OC throwing the WR under the bus multiple times was pretty awful. That and his nonsensical explanations about wanting to take time off the clock and play for 3rd/4th down, so he called a quick inside pass on the goal line.

How he can do that when the entire world thinks he screwed up is beyond me.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)

That is just it. A slant doesn't work when the line is jammed with defenders. It works when the defenders are off of the line in coverage.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
That is just it. A slant doesn't work when the line is jammed with defenders. It works when the defenders are off of the line in coverage.

Exactly.

I play a lot of Madden and if there's one thing I know, it's not to call a damn slant play on the one yard line.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
Seriously, this was a miserable commercial year.

The nationwide one with the babies dying of a tragic accident (such as a big screen falling on top of a baby or the baby drowning) was horrendous. I had to explain that to my 12 year old while looking at my 1 year old and feeling awful. Really killed the mood of the room.

The nationwide commercial provided so many funny memes that I'm not even mad.

And the stuff about "all publicity is good publicity", no, having worked at a company that had backlash to their superbowl ads, it puts a lot of pressure on leadership to answer questions and justify why they spent so much on an ad that created negative publicity.

Hell, that ad wasn't even selling a product, it was "creating awareness about child safety". It amazes me this stuff gets out without red flags.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
The nationwide one with the babies dying of a tragic accident (such as a big screen falling on top of a baby or the baby drowning) was horrendous. I had to explain that to my 12 year old while looking at my 1 year old and feeling awful. Really killed the mood of the room.

There were a lot of commercials this year that made you feel bad and that's not what the SuperBowl should be about. I know they want to get their word out about things like domestic violence...but stuff like that really kills the mood at a party.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
I think it's kinda weird that the first person they hand the trophy to isn't the coach or the MVP QB but the team's owner. Compare that to the Stanley Cup, where Toews is the first person from the Blackhawks organization to hoist the cup.

MLB and the NBA hands it to the owner so maybe hockey that's weird.

Wasn't the Stanley Cup just handed over after the series ended back in the day? Didn't seem like much rhyme or reason with their celebration back in the black and white film footage era.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
I think it's kinda weird that the first person they hand the trophy to isn't the coach or the MVP QB but the team's owner. Compare that to the Stanley Cup, where Toews is the first person from the Blackhawks organization to hoist the cup.

In hockey, the winning captain is always the first to get it. Who he hands it off to is always the interesting part.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
3.) The NBC show "The Slap" - Our room erupted with laughter as we had no idea why NBC though this was a good idea for a show. What a terrible, terrible idea. Then we questioned what had happened to Uma Thurman's career where she becomes the 6th listed actor/actress on such a horrible pilot.

Bad name, but I'm definitely checking it out.

The Budweiser dog one was good, but their commercial making fun of beer "snobs" (people tasting and smelling beer) and basically declaring that "We only want people who like to drink beer to drink our beer!" (or something) was a total turn off. It's OK if people like drinking craft style beers because that is good. People don't need to force piss-swill down their throat to be a TRUE BEER DRINKER.