2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
I remember when the Redskins traded their 1st RD picks in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2nd RD pick in 2012 to my Rams to move up a couple spots to take RG3.

The Rams then used some of Washinton's picks to pick up some more draft picks.

In total, the trade looks like this.....

Rams trades: QB Robert Griffin III

Washinton trades: DT Michael Brockers, CB Janoris Jenkins, RB Isaiah Pead, G Rokevious Watkins, LB Alec Ogletree, WR Stedman Bailey, RB Zac Stacy, and OT Greg Robinson.

Could this be the most lobsided trade in recent NFL history?

The Rams still have to convert all those picks into wins. No one will care about a lopsided trade if they remain a 6-7 win team for the next 3 years.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
I remember when the Redskins traded their 1st RD picks in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2nd RD pick in 2012 to my Rams to move up a couple spots to take RG3.

The Rams then used some of Washinton's picks to pick up some more draft picks.

In total, the trade looks like this.....

Rams trades: QB Robert Griffin III

Washinton trades: DT Michael Brockers, CB Janoris Jenkins, RB Isaiah Pead, G Rokevious Watkins, LB Alec Ogletree, WR Stedman Bailey, RB Zac Stacy, and OT Greg Robinson.

Could this be the most lobsided trade in recent NFL history?

I think it is a contender, but you have to put that up against Ricky Williams. The Colts got a haul for Marshall Faulk too, although both teams were happy with their return.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
I just assumed the word recent was included in such a way to remove that one because it's the obvious super bowl era champ for lopsided trades.

I guess the phrase "recent NFL history" is a bit ambiguous.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
The Rams still have to convert all those picks into wins. No one will care about a lopsided trade if they remain a 6-7 win team for the next 3 years.

Agreed. 3 years after the trade, Washington will have one division title from it and the Rams will have zero playoff berths.

That's why the Herschel Walker trade was so significant, it helped create a Super Bowl dynasty.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)
Agreed. 3 years after the trade, Washington will have one division title from it and the Rams will have zero playoff berths.

That's why the Herschel Walker trade was so significant, it helped create a Super Bowl dynasty.

And during those 3 years, Washington also had one year where they took a major cap hit penalty that really hammered their team's depth. That can't be forgotten either.

The NFL is all but impossible to bet except for the handful of powerhouse teams with elite qb's.

I've done ok in my office pool where we pick every game against the spread (55% or so), but my wagering has been brutal this year. It's a total crapshoot week in and week out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
Those two teams are so much better than the Bears :(

The talent gap is obvious but a lot of the play-calling just made me cry too, after the crap we have seen from Trestman this year. Loved the way Green Bay used Cobb out of the backfield.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
The talent gap is obvious but a lot of the play-calling just made me cry too, after the crap we have seen from Trestman this year. Loved the way Green Bay used Cobb out of the backfield.

I was waiting for them to do that with Nelson, too, since he was being blanketed all game. I thought that might have given him some room to move and do some different things. I was glad they held on (that second half felt like a loss waiting to happen) and I LOVED watching the endless stream of F-bombs coming out of Brady.

Bears will likely finish season at 6-10 and pick in the top 10 (Projection based on us losing to Lions / Saints / Cowboys and beating Vikings). We started last year 3-0 and finished at 5-8. If we do end up finishing at 6-10, that means in the last 29 games, we would be 11-18, which would be good for a .379 winning percentage. If you look at his overall projected record (14-18) with a .437 winning percentage and a negative trend.

I have a hard time thinking, given how things went, that there will be a significant argument to keeping Trestman around. This is a unit that ranks as follows:

Offensive:

Points = 22nd

Yards = 20th

Defensive:

Points = 30th

Yards = 26th

Special Teams Ranking (Per ProFootball Outsiders):

31st (w/Detroit ranking 32nd and Detroit's negative ranking is due to their field goal kicking, which was historically bad for much of the season)

Our offensive trends are negative, defense is still bad (but is a unit showing improvement), special teams is horrendous but again, the big thing is our offense is bad and this is with our so-called Guru. You could point to injuries on the line and I would argue those are legitimate excuses, but to rank where we rank and to have not scored 30 at least once with this unit, unacceptable. To continue to be fooled by zone coverage and unable to adjust to it, to not take advantage of Cutler on the move (even though they talked about doing it more after the Vikings game, we still haven't seen it), it is just very perplexing. I really don't know an argument that could be made about keeping Trestman, except for the standard, you give coaches 3 years.

One other interesting stat:

This years Bears team is scoring less per game (21.4) then the Bears did with Mike Tice as the OC (23.4 PPG). That was with Alshon having not emerged / being hurt most of his rookie season. We also had no one who could play TE that year (remember Kellen Davis, LOL).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)

This years Bears team is scoring less per game (21.4) then the Bears did with Mike Tice as the OC (23.4 PPG). That was with Alshon having not emerged / being hurt most of his rookie season. We also had no one who could play TE that year (remember Kellen Davis, LOL).

The difference in the defensive statistics has to be massive though/

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)

I feel like that may be due to the amount of defensive touchdowns that unit scored. It was like 11 right?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
I feel like that may be due to the amount of defensive touchdowns that unit scored. It was like 11 right?

You are correct. They had 9 defensive TD's that year. So that definitely had an impact. So did the upgraded special teams, etc.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
I actually think the Bears can win all three home games. Road game vs Vikings is probably the toughest.

I guarantee they win 2, if not 3, of their last 4 games. That's the Bears for you, not good enough for a playoff berth, not bad enough for a top draft pick.