2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
You are correct. They had 9 defensive TD's that year. So that definitely had an impact. So did the upgraded special teams, etc.

Assuming you credit the entire 7 points for those to the defensive scores (6 points for the TD and the 1 XP), that's almost 4 points a game the defense added. You also have to consider that the Bears have the ball fewer times now than they did then because their current defense is so much worse than the previous defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Just a combination of offensive firepower/production and speed. They always go after speed IMO, don't they?

Not since Reggie McKenzie has taken over.

Al Davis was the one who liked size/speed.

QUOTE (TRU @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
If they didn't have Derek Carr, yes.

This is more of a general statement, but I feel like teams passing on QBs because they already have a young starter is a huge mistake teams make. If you think Mariota is the real deal, Derek Carr or Blake Bortles shouldn't stop you from drafting them. (I have no idea how good Mariota will be, it's more of a hypothetical)

QB is such an important position nowadays, you don't pass up a star because you might have an OK one developing right now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
This is more of a general statement, but I feel like teams passing on QBs because they already have a young starter is a huge mistake teams make. If you think Mariota is the real deal, Derek Carr or Blake Bortles shouldn't stop you from drafting them. (I have no idea how good Mariota will be, it's more of a hypothetical)

QB is such an important position nowadays, you don't pass up a star because you might have an OK one developing right now.

I feel the same way. Carr wasn't even a first round pick.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Assuming you credit the entire 7 points for those to the defensive scores (6 points for the TD and the 1 XP), that's almost 4 points a game the defense added. You also have to consider that the Bears have the ball fewer times now than they did then because their current defense is so much worse than the previous defense.

Some of that is off-set by how quickly our defense can give up touchdowns. Also, Re: Defensive scores, those would have resulted in fewer positions for the Bears offense in those years as well.

As much as I hate to say it, If I were the Bears, I'd think long and hard about Winston. Runs a pro-style offense and can really fling it. Plus supposedly very intelligent from a football perspective. Under normal circumstances, this guy would never make it past the 1st pick. The fact that he is a dufus has allowed for that potential.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
I guarantee they win 2, if not 3, of their last 4 games. That's the Bears for you, not good enough for a playoff berth, not bad enough for a top draft pick.

They aren't though. Usually I'd be with you but not this year. Romo, Stafford, and Brees will torch this D. Bears finish 6-10.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
As much as I hate to say it, If I were the Bears, I'd think long and hard about Winston. Runs a pro-style offense and can really fling it. Plus supposedly very intelligent from a football perspective. Under normal circumstances, this guy would never make it past the 1st pick. The fact that he is a dufus has allowed for that potential.

He's not just a doofus. His warts are a little worse than that. He has incredible QB skills but I'd never give him the keys to my franchise.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
QB who throws a lot of interceptions in first half and makes up for it with second half comebacks...no thanks.

I realize he had that 4 TO game but as a whole, outside of Luck, he runs one of the most pro-oriented offenses. I think Dilfer is the best QB analyst in the game and if you hear him talk about the time he's spent with Jameis and the film he's watched, he gushes over him. High football IQ, understands the game, played through big time pressure / other matters, big arm, etc. This is a guy with mega upside, imo. Regarding his off-field issues, you clearly would have to put in some serious time investigating his background / talking with him prior to investing a top pick.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
So Trestman had his morning radio call in, and said "You wouldnt be able to tell if we won or lost based on how these guys are acting, this is a good group of guys" as if that was a really good thing.

Cutler. Trestman, and Kromer were all disappointed with how little they ran the ball on Thursday. Well who the f*** calls the plays, Rueben Garza? Fire them all.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 05:31 AM)
Cutler. Trestman, and Kromer were all disappointed with how little they ran the ball on Thursday. Well who the f*** calls the plays, Rueben Garza? Fire them all.

Forte had some pointed criticism about it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 06:51 AM)
Forte had some pointed criticism about it

I saw that too, I just didn't include his name because he has little input into the playcalling. The other three are the main culprits, yet they just kind of play the "I don't know what happened" game.

Someone mentioned that the score got away from them, but to start the 2nd half only down 10, they called 12 straight passes. Next drive down 7, 4 passes and 1 run.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)
I saw that too, I just didn't include his name because he has little input into the playcalling. The other three are the main culprits, yet they just kind of play the "I don't know what happened" game.

Someone mentioned that the score got away from them, but to start the 2nd half only down 10, they called 12 straight passes. Next drive down 7, 4 passes and 1 run.

Cutler had no opportunity to play action, which is actually when he performs better. Forte actually called that out too, he said the D line was pinning their ears back and coming full tilt because they knew that no run was coming.

8 runs. 7 called. All game.

Seriously, that should get Trestman fired right there. Not only is that stupid from a score standpoint, but that is also how you get your QB killed.