2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:56 AM)
Bah, not after this debacle season.

I just remember last year after one of his press conferences, and having read an article in regards to how much he embraced analytics and data, thinking, wow, we've got a few very smart GMs in charge of my favorite teams finally.

Boy did things go to s*** for him quickly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
I just remember last year after one of his press conferences, and having read an article in regards to how much he embraced analytics and data, thinking, wow, we've got a few very smart GMs in charge of my favorite teams finally.

Boy did things go to s*** for him quickly.

I liked his procedures in general, questioned some of them (the overdrafts of SMC and Kyle Long, for example), but as someone else said, whatever metric drove him to give Cutler that much money on a multi year deal sealed his fate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
I liked his procedures in general, questioned some of them (the overdrafts of SMC and Kyle Long, for example), but as someone else said, whatever metric drove him to give Cutler that much money on a multi year deal sealed his fate.

Hard to question Kyle Long being an overdraft though in hindsight. He had some hits with him, Jeffrey and probably Fuller to name a couple but when he missed on some guys or decisions, he really missed.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
He had a lot to prove after making Shea McClellin his first pick.

Shea, Trestman, and Cutler's contract are hard to overcome. Other than those 3 moves, he did some good things. I think the defense being as bad as it was, wasn't exactly a feather in his cap, although it would have been interesting if the offense had lived up to expectations. I heard one of the postgame shows yesterday, and the analyst was talking about how the defense rarely played with a lead, and what a difference that made.

Emery being out after the circus this became isn't a raw deal for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)

Kyle Long is an overdraft?

I think Emery got that one right.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Hard to question Kyle Long being an overdraft though in hindsight. He had some hits with him, Jeffrey and probably Fuller to name a couple but when he missed on some guys or decisions, he really missed.

IMO, hitting on a solid first round pick doesn't mean a guy still isn't an overdraft. If he was the only one and was still a hit we wouldn't have a problem, but particularly with first rounders, drafting guys he likes that he could potentially have moved down and gotten is definitely a pattern with Emery.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
@RapSheet

#Bills QB Kyle Orton tells the team he will retire. It appears, this time he means it.

Think he just wanted to give it one more go around to see if he did have it. He wasn't bad, but he obviously wasn't the answer. Maybe they can bring him back as a coach, because there were a lot of guys who were really impressed with his ability to prepare for games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
IMO, hitting on a solid first round pick doesn't mean a guy still isn't an overdraft. If he was the only one and was still a hit we wouldn't have a problem, but particularly with first rounders, drafting guys he likes that he could potentially have moved down and gotten is definitely a pattern with Emery.

Where should he have drafted him instead since you know how far he would have dropped? Using the 20th overall pick on an O-lineman who is 2-for-2 on Pro Bowl appearances sounds like a good pick to me.

Long is already a two time pro bowler. It was thought as an overdraft when it happened, most analysts have backtracked on that and admitted that it was a very good pick

He is a two time pro bowler now in the two years he's been in the league and has graded out to be outstanding as a guard in metrics. I agree with you on Emery and that philosophy in a way, but you are really reaching here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
Did you guys see the picture that Rich Campbell tweeted yesterday of Emery sitting next to George in the press box? That had to be a very uncomfortable time for Emery

Imread where Emery's wife was sitting in between them for a while, and Morrissey wrote George was celebrating like they won the Suoer Bowl after each Feely FG.

1 of 3 first round picks Emery made is a pattern?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
I still wonder who made the move to resign Garza then.

I bet it was Emery with McCaskey's approval. It's a veteran center re-signing for one year, $1.5 million. Hardly cap-breaking, keeps a cornerstone in the middle of the line around for another year. No potential GM hire is gonna scoff at Garza's presence on the roster.