2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
Shanahan will be another move just to enable Cutler. Hmmmmmmmmmmm great.

But he's also a good football coach.

One who will have the offense run the ball more, which is what everyone wants right?

The fact that Jay had some good year under him is just an added bonus to me, and one that I really see no problem with.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)

One who will have the offense run the ball more, which is what everyone wants right?

The fact that Jay had some good year under him is just an added bonus to me, and one that I really see no problem with.

He was a good coach. That was a long time ago.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
‏@JasonLaCanfora

Look for Jack Del Rio to emerge in OAK, ATL to contact Rex, SF to approach Jim Mora several teams request Adam Gase. M. Shanahan wants Chi

in nfl.com they talked about the coaches now and potential as

well as QB.

with the coaches, they stated, that SFO was to approach Mora,

but he has a great contract in college, and as you mention,

Shanahan wants chi and it has been mention that he has a

great relationship with Culter.

i would rather the bears go for a promising young coach who has

nfl experience.

Shanahan's record in Washington isn't particularly impressive but he was hurt by management and cap issues (sounds vaguely familiar?)

One positive though, he's the only coach in recent memory that I've seen actually try to single handedly destroy his starting quarterback, so in that sense he could fit one of the Bears' needs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 2m2 minutes ago

#Bears exiting GM Phil Emery to speak to media at 11:30. Chairman George McCaskey and president Ted Phillips to speak at 4 pm.

Interesting. With Angelo they just threw him out the building.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)

you should have a problem with it. They need to stop trying to make patches to force Cutler to become something that he is not.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
WTF is Cutler at this point?

I have no clue where this guy will excel.

Jay is 31 years old. His shelf life in the NFL is what, 4-6 more years at best? I seriously doubt he is about to flip a switch and become a game manager/reduce his turnovers.

What George McCaskey does with the franchise from this point forward should have nothing taken in account for Cutler.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
you should have a problem with it. They need to stop trying to make patches to force Cutler to become something that he is not.

They also need to bring in a guy who will run the ball a lot if Jay is our QB. The fact that he's had success with Jay is merely a plus.

But for the record I want Rex Ryan.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
To be fair, I don't think the appeal of Shanahan to McCaskey is the Cutler connection.

You may not think that, but its in the water. And all Shanahan talked about last week was how he thought Cutler was a good quarterback

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
Good or bad cutler is here and the new coach needs to figure it out.

Getting rid of jay unless you get at least one 1st round pick does nothing for the betterment of this franchise. Washington is a disaster that had nothing to do with Shanahan I think he would be worth a shot.

If you can get another team to assume his contract, you free up cap space by moving Cutler with the idea being that you can get similar production from a guy for much cheaper. I think Cutler's value is a negative right now, but there will likely be a GM out there willing to give up a late round pick which frees up cap space.

But if they don't feel there's anyone better, or Shanahan can maybe breathe some life into him, then they can keep him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
If you can get another team to assume his contract, you free up cap space by moving Cutler with the idea being that you can get similar production from a guy for much cheaper. I think Cutler's value is a negative right now, but there will likely be a GM out there willing to give up a late round pick which frees up cap space.

But if they don't feel there's anyone better, or Shanahan can maybe breathe some life into him, then they can keep him.

I'm not sure who the Bears can play at QB that would help the Bears for the remaining two years in Cutler's contract more than Cutler. Having a guy with a cannon arm, but who is turnover prone throw the ball 40+ times per game was just asking for problems.

Trading him now basically forfeits any shot you have over the next few seasons. We've seen the Bears go through different guys as backups (Jason Campbell, Caleb Hanie, Todd Collins, and Josh McCown) and it would be hard to pinpoint Jay as the problem after seeing those guys perform. McCown was good statistically, but he wasn't really winning games for the Bears. He also hasn't been good anywhere other than in the small sample size under Trestman.