2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
If Emery just franchises Cutler for this year instead of the big contract, does he keep his job?

If the year played out the exact same, i would lean towards no. But, he would have a small case where he could say "Getting rid of QB and coach, and starting from scratch".

If Emery just franchises Cutler for this year instead of the big contract, does he keep his job?

I think so. But really Trestman was his undoing. Also, it's clear we learned that while Free Agency is fun, it means nothing. This team needed to draft like crazy and he instead tried to go big fast.

Rotted inside out.

I have to say, the moon mullin article today where he states that Marinelli left after we hired his third choice, while Emery felt Marinelli was sure thing to stay, was another huge black eye. Guy just was a decent talent evaluator but bad judge of character and people manager.

No, not with the way everything fell apart, the locker room squabbles, the team giving up, I think the Trestman hire hurt him more than the Cutler contract.

I bet he and Trestman both do. Cutler was one of the biggest problems this year from a performance perspective. The defense was the other problem, obviously, but that's a lack of talent more than anything and we all knew that. I bet they could have talked themselves into at least one more season to turn it around.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Much easier to save your job when you have a clear scapegoat. I bet Trestman would have also benched Cutler much earlier in the season. That was so obviously a GM "you have to play that guy" decision.

I know you're blinded by your Cutler hatred, but this team was god awful top-to-bottom and Trestman didn't have any sort of control over the locker room or his staff.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
I know you're blinded by your Cutler hatred, but this team was god awful top-to-bottom and Trestman didn't have any sort of control over the locker room or his staff.

The only way that franchising cutler would have made that team better is if it somehow massively turned Cutler into an incredible leader and great performer, which I can't believe anyone accepts as true. As you suggest, that collapse was total.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)

I don't disagree, but I think you'd have a situation where Trestman gets rid of Cutler much earlier than he did and they start to distance themselves from him. You don't get the Kromer embarrassment. They point to last year where the same team was putting up franchise record offensive numbers when Cutler was out for 6-7 games. They'd point out that the defense was expected to be bad to average and it was the offense that was going to carry the day. And the worst player on offense was Cutler usually.

The typical PR job of future hope that the Bears have sold fans for the last 50 years becomes much more believable. I think the whole storyline changes. They'd be a bad team looking to rebuild its defense and searching for a QB. Basically the position of like half the teams in the league.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
49ers aggressively pursuing coaches. I worry with so many new positions to hire, Bears will shuffle their feet and have a weak crop to go off of (in a pretty weak crop already).

Oh absolutely. If I were a top flight coach i'd rather go to San Fran and Atlanta before the Bears.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
So how does no word of Mel Tucker getting canned come down today? Or did I miss it?

Also, I'd love to wind up with Jack Del Rio. I've always loved that guy. More candidates here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...otogallery.html

I thought I saw several places saying hew as gone.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
So how does no word of Mel Tucker getting canned come down today? Or did I miss it?

Also, I'd love to wind up with Jack Del Rio. I've always loved that guy. More candidates here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...otogallery.html

he's gone.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
49ers aggressively pursuing coaches. I worry with so many new positions to hire, Bears will shuffle their feet and have a weak crop to go off of (in a pretty weak crop already).

As they have done before.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)

That's my concern too. With having to hire a GM first, other teams are already requesting interviews for their HC positions while we have to wait.

That said, good ownership would already have a short-list of GM candidates. And a good GM candidate would already have a short-list of HC candidates. So if we have good people in charge (I don't know if we do; the jury is still out on George McCaskey), then the process could happen quickly. But with the last GM search, I feel like it took weeks to hire Emery. They better not do that this time.

Guys, chill out on worrying about the coaches not being fired yet. We won't do it officially until a new HC is hired. If the new HC wants to keep a current coach, there is no need to fire that coach. I'm sure they will all be gone. But you don't fire everyone until you have a new plan in place with a new coach. For instance, maybe the new guy wants to keep Mike Groh. Well, you don't fire him and then re-hire him a week or two later.