2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
That's my concern too. With having to hire a GM first, other teams are already requesting interviews for their HC positions while we have to wait.

That said, good ownership would already have a short-list of GM candidates. And a good GM candidate would already have a short-list of HC candidates. So if we have good people in charge (I don't know if we do; the jury is still out on George McCaskey), then the process could happen quickly. But with the last GM search, I feel like it took weeks to hire Emery. They better not do that this time.

It's a good position to be in if they plan on giving the next coach more power than usual or if there is a package deal out there. Honestly, I don't think the Bears are getting Harbaugh, so I wouldn't bother.

I'd be throwing everything at Gruden or Rex Ryan. Ryan was a casualty of a bad GM.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
It's a good position to be in if they plan on giving the next coach more power than usual or if there is a package deal out there. Honestly, I don't think the Bears are getting Harbaugh, so I wouldn't bother.

I'd be throwing everything at Gruden or Rex Ryan. Ryan was a casualty of a bad GM.

I actually think Idzik was doing things the right way for longterm success, but, that team wasn't ready to rebuild.

@AdamSchefter

Ndamukong Suh is being suspended for Sunday's game against Dallas, per @mortreport. When he appeals, hearing officer will be Ted Cottrell.

Hope Suh enjoyed that stomp. Probably ended his team in the playoffs. Might of played his last game with the Lions as well.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
I don't disagree, but I think you'd have a situation where Trestman gets rid of Cutler much earlier than he did and they start to distance themselves from him. You don't get the Kromer embarrassment. They point to last year where the same team was putting up franchise record offensive numbers when Cutler was out for 6-7 games. They'd point out that the defense was expected to be bad to average and it was the offense that was going to carry the day. And the worst player on offense was Cutler usually.

The typical PR job of future hope that the Bears have sold fans for the last 50 years becomes much more believable. I think the whole storyline changes. They'd be a bad team looking to rebuild its defense and searching for a QB. Basically the position of like half the teams in the league.

Who would have played QB? Because despite his "poise" or whatever he showed in his one start, Claussen sucks and isn't an NFL quarterback, it would have been as bad or worse with him playing a significant stretch.

Unless when he benched a franchised Cutler he would have bought another year by selling "let me bring a QB in" scenario?

Under Cutler this season, the Bears have a total of 2, (that's right, TWO!), touchdowns insides the 2 minute warning - 1 came against in week 2 against SF, the other was a garbage time TD pass to Jeffery against the Saints. Put that in perspective, the both Tampa and Tennessee finished 2-14, but has 4 and 6 TD's, respectively, inside the 2 minute warning.

Just goes to show you how bad the offense was under pressure and how inconsistent it was to develop any sort of rhythm.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
Under Cutler this season, the Bears have a total of 2, (that's right, TWO!), touchdowns insides the 2 minute warning - 1 came against in week 2 against SF, the other was a garbage time TD pass to Jeffery against the Saints. Put that in perspective, the both Tampa and Tennessee finished 2-14, but has 4 and 6 TD's, respectively, inside the 2 minute warning.

Just goes to show you how bad the offense was under pressure and how inconsistent it was to develop any sort of rhythm.

It seemed like every week the announcers were commenting on their lack of urgency in getting up to the line.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)

Pretty sure Gruden is locked down until 2021 with ESPN. When he announced it during the Bears MNF game a few weeks ago, Tirico made it a point to say he will not be coaching until the contract is up

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
Pretty sure Gruden is locked down until 2021 with ESPN. When he announced it during the Bears MNF game a few weeks ago, Tirico made it a point to say he will not be coaching until the contract is up

I don't get all the hype with Gruden either. He wanted to pick Johnny Football #1 overall last year lol.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
It seemed like every week the announcers were commenting on their lack of urgency in getting up to the line.

Part of the reason was Trestman tried to be conservative, especially if they didn't have a good chance of scoring, to protect Cutler from committing any unnecessary turnovers and hurt his confidence (especially early on in the season). Guess what, Cutler still end up leading the league in turnovers..

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
I actually think Idzik was doing things the right way for longterm success, but, that team wasn't ready to rebuild.

I don't. Geno was a downgrade from Sanchez and that's saying alot. All of the offensive skilled positions were downgraded. Didn't really care for his drafts either. That team played hard for Rex though and it was crazy how he managed a decent season last year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
I don't get all the hype with Gruden either. He wanted to pick Johnny Football #1 overall last year lol.

Gruden has led a team to the Super Bowl while another team should've been in it if it wasn't for the tuck. He's proven he's a head coach (not just a coordinator in over his head) and players like playing for him except Keyshawn who really didn't like anyone but Bill Parcells.

If Gruden wasn't on ESPN, he wouldn't get half the love he gets.

I also wouldn't mind Shanahan if we couldn't get rid of Cutler. For better or for worse, this team is going to go as Cutler goes until he's gone. Might as well throw some s*** at the wall and see what happens.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
Who would have played QB? Because despite his "poise" or whatever he showed in his one start, Claussen sucks and isn't an NFL quarterback, it would have been as bad or worse with him playing a significant stretch.

Unless when he benched a franchised Cutler he would have bought another year by selling "let me bring a QB in" scenario?

Even if they lost with Clausen, so long as Clausen was putting up points and being competitive and not throwing the ball away - pretty much what he was doing in his lone start - then Trestman and Emery could say, he look, the system works, we just need a quality QB behind it.

I'm arguing that's the Bears out if it had happened that way. Not saying that would have been a good move. Just that they wouldn't have been pressured to clean house like they were in the last few weeks.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
Gruden has led a team to the Super Bowl while another team should've been in it if it wasn't for the tuck. He's proven he's a head coach (not just a coordinator in over his head) and players like playing for him except Keyshawn who really didn't like anyone but Bill Parcells.

Gruden won a superbowl because he basically knew the entire playbook of the Raiders and was handed a ferocious Tony Dungy defense.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
Gruden won a superbowl because he basically knew the entire playbook of the Raiders and was handed a ferocious Tony Dungy defense.

Disagree. They did have a great defense, but Dungy couldn't get it done. Gruden could. As far as the playbook, you could argue the Raiders had Gruden's playbook and couldn't get it done. It's a two way street.

Either which way, he ain't coming. Best hope is for Polian and Holmgren package deal.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Disagree. They did have a great defense, but Dungy couldn't get it done. Gruden could. As far as the playbook, you could argue the Raiders had Gruden's playbook and couldn't get it done. It's a two way street.

Either which way, he ain't coming. Best hope is for Polian and Holmgren package deal.

LOL no. You cant argue that a guy using another guys script is just as smart as the guy that wrote the script.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
Even if they lost with Clausen, so long as Clausen was putting up points and being competitive and not throwing the ball away - pretty much what he was doing in his lone start - then Trestman and Emery could say, he look, the system works, we just need a quality QB behind it.

Except for you know, actually scoring points are moving the ball because the Bears did neither with Clausen under center (to be fair to Clausen he actually played ok in that game though).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Winning a super bowl is hard, nobody is gifted it.

Gruden was as close to gifted a superbowl as anyone has ever been. Callahan didnt change anything in the offense, both sides of that game admitted as such after the game was over. The Tampa defense said Gruden played the part of Gannon in the scout team and told them all EXACTLY how his line calls worked and what he was going to do, to a T

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Gruden was as close to gifted a superbowl as anyone has ever been. Callahan didnt change anything in the offense, both sides of that game admitted as such after the game was over. The Tampa defense said Gruden played the part of Gannon in the scout team and told them all EXACTLY how his line calls worked and what he was going to do, to a T

Okay, and...they just walked into the superbowl?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Okay, and...they just walked into the superbowl?

Both teams were superbowl ready due to their then-present construction. I would have liked to see Gruden in that Superbowl against a team that he didnt know the playbook.

His team won a superbowl. I still wouldnt back up the money truck for him