2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)
Yea but now we'll be back at square one whether he likes it medium rare or well done..

Easy answer, medium rare. Unless the steak has sat a little longer in the fridge and is considered "sketchy"...in which case, well done, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
Easy answer, medium rare. Unless the steak has sat a little longer in the fridge and is considered "sketchy"...in which case, well done, haha.

But then you can consider it "aged" beef

I am very proud to call him my friend, he said in the book. 'As a person, there is such a genuine nature to Marc (Trestman). He is really an authentic human being. He is so unique in this industry, given his educational and legal background. He is very direct and sincere, and there is a real sensitivity to him that you just don’t find in our business.

As a coach, Marc is incredibly smart. I mean, he is an amazing intellect. He sees the game, from an offensive standpoint, unlike anybody I have ever known. He is so innovative.

Marc has a real passion for the game, too, and that passion carried him through some tough times and some bad breaks over the years. He is very resilient and determined. I really admire that about him. He is not a politician. He doesn’t try to manipulate people or maneuver for jobs, either. He is very humble and has a lot of humility, almost to a fault.

The one thing I learned about athletes a long time ago is that your control and influence over them is based on your ability to help them succeed. Period. That is what they care about. I mean, they can like you or dislike you, but at the end of the day they are there to succeed, both individually and for their team. They have to be convinced in their mind that their coach can help them get better and win.

Having said that, the quarterback is the most critical and important position in all of sports. As such, the quarterback coach is also one of the most important positions. That relationship is key to the success of the team. Players have to respect your knowledge of the game first and foremost. Beyond that, they have to trust you. Marc had both. Not only do his quarterbacks trust him, they know that he is a brilliant tactician and extremely knowledgable of the game.

Everywhere he goes, his offense succeeds. He has a proven track record. As such, I think Marc going to Montreal was a really good move for him. He has all the experience in the world, but now he will get to prove that he is a great leader.

Marc has finally gotten his opportunity to be a head coach in the CFL, and he has already impacted the Canadian game. Make no mistake, Marc is a great leader.

- Ernie Accorsi

http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-football...an-great-leader

With Jameiss going pro, I am in the camp that if he is there, you take him at 7. I hate saying it too, but I think he has all the tools to be a bonafide star. The key is that you are comfortable with him maturing, etc, and obviously you get comfort on his off-the-field matters. I believe him to be the best QB to come out since Luck and one of the best QB talents of the last 10 years.

PS: I don't expect him to be available at 7 and he's the only QB I would pick this early. I've also said if Hundley is their in the 2nd, I take him. As a whole, someone could say QB isn't our biggest need, and I'd agree, but I think his football skills grade him out as a worthy #1 overall pick at a huge impact position. I don't pass up on that. I want the Bears to look to the future vs. trying to half ass their way to a 9 win season and the playoffs. We need to focus on being great and if that takes a little longer, so be it. If he's not there, I look at LT & Dline. I think the talent typically at those spots can warrant impact production. I'm also okay with going with LB.

I know safety is a huge need, but if we are taking a safety, we need to move down in the draft. My personal belief is that a safety is not worthy of a top 10 pick.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
Jameis may be a decent QB, but his off the field antics are too much of a red flag for many teams.

What is going to help him this year is that its not a deep year for the QB position in the draft. I think its possible that in many other years he would be a guy that could have fallen to the 5 round and later because of all of his issues, This year teams that are thirsty for a QB are going to be desperate enough to take him high. I personally arent even sold on him with physical attributes not even taking into account his character flaws.

If he didn't have the off the field issues, he would hands down be the 1st player taken in the draft. His football talents are extremely strong and many experts rank those skills amongst the top to come out of the draft in the past 10 years (basically ranking him behind Luck). If I were going to bet on 1 QB in this draft being a star, it would be Winston. If I were going to bet on 1 being a bust, it would be Mariotta. If I were going to bet on one being Russel Wilson, it would be Hundley (UCLA). Hundley hasn't developed as you would expect but his makeup is fantastic and he has a ton of tools.

You'd have to adjust the offense accordingly and obviously run the read-option. If we hired the Seahawks OC, I would be exstatic with Hundley in the 2nd (although I doubt he falls that far). I think when teams interview with him, they'll realize he has the tools of Mariotta and an even better make-up (although Marcus clearly had better production...however I think a lot of that was the product of the system). I might be wrong though and Mariotta has really strong make-up as well.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
What is going to help him this year is that its not a deep year for the QB position in the draft. I think its possible that in many other years he would be a guy that could have fallen to the 5 round and later because of all of his issues, This year teams that are thirsty for a QB are going to be desperate enough to take him high. I personally arent even sold on him with physical attributes not even taking into account his character flaws.

Its been said his knowledge of the playbook was pro-like but it could also be Jimbo's bulls*** like everything else we hear about Winston.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
Its been said his knowledge of the playbook was pro-like but it could also be Jimbo's bulls*** like everything else we hear about Winston.

Yeah, I'm largely basing my view on the fact that not only does he have the tools, but he's supposed to have a very high football IQ. He's also done things on the biggest stage, dealt with adversity (albeit self inflicted in many instances), handled a pro offense (which makes it a lot easier to project him, imo) etc, and overcame it. Tools are obviously fantastic.

Dilfer apparently spent a day with him last year and ever since than has talked about how smart his football IQ is.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
If he didn't have the off the field issues, he would hands down be the 1st player taken in the draft. His football talents are extremely strong and many experts rank those skills amongst the top to come out of the draft in the past 10 years (basically ranking him behind Luck).

Not with decision making. And nowadays I think we can all agree that may be the most important trait to have. Jameis made a ton of questionable throws. Albeit many college QB's do make a lot of mistakes but to compare him to Luck is nuts. He isnt even in the parking lot of Lucks ballpark.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
As long as Cutler is on the team you cant spend a top 10 pick on Winston.

Might as well take a flier in the later rounds on a guy like Jacoby Brissett.

Sure you can. The goal is to build a long-term winner. If you have a shot at a guy you think is the franchise QB, you take him, no questions asked. We know we don't have a franchise QB on the roster currently.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Sure you can. The goal is to build a long-term winner. If you have a shot at a guy you think is the franchise QB, you take him, no questions asked. We know we don't have a franchise QB on the roster currently.

Absolutely. No other position can change so much of your team so fast than a good QB.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
Not with decision making. And nowadays I think we can all agree that may be the most important trait to have. Jameis made a ton of questionable throws. Albeit many college QB's do make a lot of mistakes but to compare him to Luck is nuts. He isnt even in the parking lot of Lucks ballpark.

Luck actually makes a lot of questionable throws. Luck is the best talent to come out of the draft since Peyton (and Luck having better physical tools and Peyton having better intelligence...albeit by a very narrow margin). I said Jameis is best since Luck. Doesn't mean I put him at the same level as Luck but if it weren't for his off the field issues, you would be talking about a guy everyone would be salivating over. He has made tons of big time throws and came up huge in big game after big game. Will he make the occasional turnover, certainly, but he's playing in a pro-style offense. You are going to turn the ball over running that style far more than you would in a spread offense. Mariotta really doesn't have the opportunity to throw a ton of picks given their style of offense.

Heck to be frank, Cutler should have never had the opportunity to throw as many as he did given the style we were trying to run in Chicago.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
Absolutely. No other position can change so much of your team so fast than a good QB.

Put Cutler on the Packers and to be frank, I don't even think they are a playoff team. I think they are about 1-2 games better than this years Bears, if that. All that said, their are very few elite QB's.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
As long as Cutler is on the team you cant spend a top 10 pick on Winston.

Might as well take a flier in the later rounds on a guy like Jacoby Brissett.

Sounds like a reason why the Packers shouldnt have drafted Rodgers. If a possible franchise QB is available while you pick you take him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)

I dont see how you are building a long term winner by investing a top 10 pick in a QB when you just signed your "franchise" Qb last year. Its basically a rebuild at that point, so you might as well just get rid of Cutler for anything at that point to save money and start rebuilding.

I never wanted Cutler, I was maybe the most vocal about the Bears not re-signing him last year. But that ship sailed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
Sounds like a reason why the Packers shouldnt have drafted Rodgers. If a possible franchise QB is available while you pick you take him.

Rodgers wasnt top 10, he was 24. If the Bears were picking 24 and Winston was there id say you have to take him.

Completely different scenarios.

(edit)

Also if the Bears could trade down to 24, get a 1st round next year in the process, Id say take Winston at 24. But the thing is, Rodgers fell and so the Packers were getting extreme value at the pick. Winston at 7 isnt an extreme value.

Edited by Soxbadger