2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)
Rodgers wasnt top 10, he was 24. If the Bears were picking 24 and Winston was there id say you have to take him.

Completely different scenarios.

(edit)

Also if the Bears could trade down to 24, get a 1st round next year in the process, Id say take Winston at 24. But the thing is, Rodgers fell and so the Packers were getting extreme value at the pick. Winston at 7 isnt an extreme value.

It is a different scenario, Favre was actually GOOD for the Packers. If a possible franchise QB is available, you take him. And Winston at 7 is a crazy good value, he should be a top 1-2 pick.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
It is a different scenario, Favre was actually GOOD for the Packers. If a possible franchise QB is available, you take him. And Winston at 7 is a crazy good value, he should be a top 1-2 pick.

I think he could be a top 10 NFL QB, I doubt he will ever be a top 5 and most likely will be a mid range QB. Is that worth a top 10 pick? In my opinion not really, given how often QBs get injured etc, I would always rather trade down and get more talent when rebuilding.

But that is just my personal preference.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
Jameis may be a decent QB, but his off the field antics are too much of a red flag for many teams.

His make-up and decision making are major concerns, but purely from the standpoint of NFL QB ability, a lot of talent evaluators believe he is the strongest pro-style QB to come out since Luck.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
His make-up and decision making are major concerns, but purely from the standpoint of NFL QB ability, a lot of talent evaluators believe he is the strongest pro-style QB to come out since Luck.

Ryan Leaf was highly thought of as well. Winston needs to grow up. I wouldn't take him with the Bears pick, maybe later in the first. Character issues with QBs do come back to haunt IMO more than a LB or DE. So far, the guy doesn't think rules apply to him. How is that going to change when his bank account is bloated? Maybe he grows up, maybe he gets worse. If it were Emery still in charge trying to save his job, maybe he takes a shot. A new guy making the call, he better be really sure or that could be a train wreck that can't be overcome.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
I think he could be a top 10 NFL QB, I doubt he will ever be a top 5 and most likely will be a mid range QB. Is that worth a top 10 pick? In my opinion not really, given how often QBs get injured etc, I would always rather trade down and get more talent when rebuilding.

But that is just my personal preference.

I think Winston is a pipe dream anyway. No way he is there @ 7 and I can't justify moving up to get him. I think the best scenario is a team has a guy they want at 7 and we can move down and take Hundley and accumulate another high pick. Ideally we could also move Jay for a draft pick as well (I still think there will be more market for him than has been talked about). I think my dream scenario would be moving down, acquiring a 2nd for Cutler, and getting a 3rd - 4th for Marshall. I than have zero problem going with Hundley (or another QB) and bringing in a veteran QB who can help groom Nick.

That said, I'm probably higher on Nick than most. It does mean that you need to have extremely bright offensive coaches to go with Nick though.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
Tim Jennings arrested in Georgia for speeding, DUI, and reckless driving.

so there is that

His play stunk on the field and now this off the field issue. I personally would have no problem getting rid of him, however, I don't know how much dead money that turns into. Emery really made a mess of things last off-season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
His play stunk on the field and now this off the field issue. I personally would have no problem getting rid of him, however, I don't know how much dead money that turns into. Emery really made a mess of things last off-season.

Jennings on the field got old real fast this year he can go.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
Jennings on the field got old real fast this year he can go.

I think a lot was his attitude and the fact that he didn't want to be there. Safeties took a lot of hit for his continous screw-ups. If you noticed, by and large all of those wide open big plays, which were driven by miscommunications came on Jennings side of the field. He really blew and that type of attitude is what the Bears need to get rid of. Like I said, I thank him for his run, but unless the cap hit was significant, I'd let him go somewhere else (that said, I do understand the fact that we are extremely thin at CB; although I did like the play of Al Louis or whatever the undrafted CB's name was).

Ryan Leaf was highly thought of as well. Winston needs to grow up. I wouldn't take him with the Bears pick, maybe later in the first. Character issues with QBs do come back to haunt IMO more than a LB or DE. So far, the guy doesn't think rules apply to him. How is that going to change when his bank account is bloated? Maybe he grows up, maybe he gets worse. If it were Emery still in charge trying to save his job, maybe he takes a shot. A new guy making the call, he better be really sure or that could be a train wreck that can't be overcome.

This. You don't take a QB with serious character issues in the first round. I will have a hard time being a Bears fan with him on the team.

Winston seems like the type of player whose on field performance will mirror that of Jay Cutler's.

I am not talking personality or what not just how the numbers and results will look annually. Ithink he will be good but not great and I think he will make continual mistakes.

Off the field I guess he can clean that up.

I too find him hard to be a fan of.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)

How many of the great NFL QB's would we have said this about coming out of college? Particularly with it being a major concern.

Because he is going to go so high in the draft and there are so many unlikely things that will have to happen across the course of his career in order for him to be that good that I am positive he is going to be a HUGE bust IMHO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
Many of the things he is getting criticized about arent even a concern in the NFL, we only care now because he is in college.

They would be concerned with rape allegations.

Peyton Manning threw 22 TD's & 10 picks in his first two seasons in college. Winston threw 65 and 28 picks. Peyton actually threw more picks his 3rd and 4th season (23) than during his 1st two seasons. Peyton's numbers were over the course of 22 games while Winston's were over course of 27 games.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
Peyton Manning threw 22 TD's & 10 picks in his first two seasons in college. Winston threw 65 and 28 picks. Peyton actually threw more picks his 3rd and 4th season (23) than during his 1st two seasons. Peyton's numbers were over the course of 22 games while Winston's were over course of 27 games.

Jamarcus Russell and Ponder also had great numbers under Jimbos system.