2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
Luck actually makes a lot of questionable throws. Luck is the best talent to come out of the draft since Peyton (and Luck having better physical tools and Peyton having better intelligence...albeit by a very narrow margin). I said Jameis is best since Luck. Doesn't mean I put him at the same level as Luck but if it weren't for his off the field issues, you would be talking about a guy everyone would be salivating over. He has made tons of big time throws and came up huge in big game after big game. Will he make the occasional turnover, certainly, but he's playing in a pro-style offense. You are going to turn the ball over running that style far more than you would in a spread offense. Mariotta really doesn't have the opportunity to throw a ton of picks given their style of offense.

Heck to be frank, Cutler should have never had the opportunity to throw as many as he did given the style we were trying to run in Chicago.

You're completely right about Luck. He's more gunslingery than he gets credit for.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 06:09 PM)
as well as an alarming number of interceptions.

This season yes. He also had no one to throw to. Rashad Greene is a 2nd-3rd round pick, Nick O'Leary was a top 5 college TE and then his #2-4 WR were freshmen and his RBs were a SR converted safety with bad hands and a true freshman RB. People don't realize that he had nothing to work with. I can remember at least 4 or 5 INTs that were a direct result of the WR dropping/deflecting the pass. That's not to totally excuse him, but he was forced to work with not much help.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
Jamarcus Russell and Ponder also had great numbers under Jimbos system.

Not really similar at all actually.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 07:27 AM)
This season yes. He also had no one to throw to. Rashad Greene is a 2nd-3rd round pick, Nick O'Leary was a top 5 college TE and then his #2-4 WR were freshmen and his RBs were a SR converted safety with bad hands and a true freshman RB. People don't realize that he had nothing to work with. I can remember at least 4 or 5 INTs that were a direct result of the WR dropping/deflecting the pass. That's not to totally excuse him, but he was forced to work with not much help.

Not really similar at all actually.

As far as their final college years they are, in fact they arguably had better numbers because they didnt have all the interceptions that he had.

To be clear though, as a whole he obviously put up better overall numbers than those two. Especially with his out of this world freshman year. I just cant ignore the fact that some of his success should be attributed to the system and then to add on all the negative outside stuff he is not a real great prospect IMO.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)
Good lord...

So as Geddy Lee has bellowed "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Very discouraging non football people will be making this decision. The McCaskeys need to sell the team, or maybe just look at their history and realize they don't know what they are doing when it comes to football, and make sure they hire someone who does. Why is something so simple, so difficult for them to understand?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
Good lord...

To be honest, I don't really care. I want that to be the GM's decision anyway. Yeah, we should get some feedback from Ernie but I want our GM in full control and I want our GM in place for any of the main moves.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
Why is that an issue? He clearly already gave them his name and his opinion on him, now its their turn for an independent evaluation.

an independent evaluation by two people that are not qualified to give an independent evaluation does not make for a positive result.

Also if the GM is going to hire the coach why are the ticket manager and accountant interviewing him?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
an independent evaluation by two people that are not qualified to give an independent evaluation does not make for a positive result.

Also if the GM is going to hire the coach why are the ticket manager and accountant interviewing him?

This has been stated a lot, but if the Bears didn't interview them and the teams advanced to the playoffs (e.g., Seattle and Denver, which are the only two teams whose head coaches we have interviewed), than we would not be able to interview them again until after the superbowl. However, if you at least have a preliminary interview with them, you can than meet with them again during the bye week leading up to the superbowl. That is why the Bears met with Gase and the Seahawks guys. It was a preliminary meeting for us to show interest, get initial info, and I'm sure told them, we are going to work on hiring our GM and will than have him vividly involved and in charge of the next conversation, etc.

Strategically it would have been stupid not to interview them. And in the case of Bowles, I think this is more of a matter of the Bears organization doing Atlanta a favor and moving our interview because of things more important than football. I'm going to guess we planned on Saturday because it worked for us and allowed us time to have our GM in place. Either way, you usually bring in guys twice prior to hiring them (unless you already had a lot of comfort with him).

I still wonder if the Bears have made up their mind or if some more candidates will be brought in for the GM spot. If not, I would think they would have an announcement come out today (or you'd at least start hearing some leaks as the Bears started talking terms with their chosen candidates).

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)

That literally makes zero sense. They met him, they are forming an opinion of him, in addition to the GM, the consultant and whoever else was introduced to him. It doesnt mean their opinions weigh the most or are the end all be all, just that they will have them. When you interview at a company you meet all sorts of people up and down the chain, even if only one person's opinion REALLY counts as the final say it is good for everyone to have a feel for the candidate.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
I didnt think Accorsi was supposed to be the interviewer, he was supposed to provide Philips and McCaskey candidates and info on them.

I do think he spends time prepping them on questions but he is directly involved with the GM interviews (to what extent who knows) but to me that is the key hire that he is influencing and involved with. Accorsi shouldn't be the one making the head coaching decision. He can provide lists and feedback but that is the GM's job. I'd be irritated if I found out that Accorsi wasn't taking part in Pace or Ballard's interviews but by all accounts he has been at all of the GM interviews.

Saw this on another board. This is from someone who "supposedly" has a close connection to someone within the Bears organization. Take it for what you will, but the individual indicates the Bears will announce they have hired Pace prior to interviewing Bowles. Evidently he blew the Bears away.

I am still hoping it is Ballard.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
Saw this on another board. This is from someone who "supposedly" has a close connection to someone within the Bears organization. Take it for what you will, but the individual indicates the Bears will announce they have hired Pace prior to interviewing Bowles. Evidently he blew the Bears away.

If that is the case, i wonder if Ballard has any regrets about telling everyone he is not interested

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
If that is the case, i wonder if Ballard has any regrets about telling everyone he is not interested

I don't think so. It is clear he is confident that he will get a job and will only take a job that is on his terms where he is confident that he'll have the opportunity to succeed. I personally am skeptical on this but I also long thought all those reports on Ballard being pre-chosen as the guy and it already was a done deal, a bunch of BS too. I just hope the Bears are picking who they think is the best candidate. I don't want them listen to all these people who poo-poo Ballard just cause he spent time in our organization and the McCaskey's hearing that and letting it influence their decision. And to be frank, as stupid as that sounds, I wouldn't put it past them. At least Pace comes from a winning organization.

I want the report to be false though...I think Ballard is a tremendous fit but I'm just an armchair owner.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
That literally makes zero sense. They met him, they are forming an opinion of him, in addition to the GM, the consultant and whoever else was introduced to him. It doesnt mean their opinions weigh the most or are the end all be all, just that they will have them. When you interview at a company you meet all sorts of people up and down the chain, even if only one person's opinion REALLY counts as the final say it is good for everyone to have a feel for the candidate.

Yes you interview with all sorts of people and the opinions are weighed and eventually the buck stops with the person in need of the person to be hired, who has the most knowledge of the role the person will fill. If when the GM is hired all of these interviews take place again you are correct and the process is as you are pointing out.

What would think if you went into a company and they interviewed you and at the end they said. Thank you for your time but this process meant nothing as the hiring manager is not yet employed.

Ted and George are interviewing a person for a job that they are not qualified to hire them for. Recruiters can send people to you to hire all of the time and the person that hires them should have knowledge of the position they will file.

I guess I am just jaded in thinking that Ted and George should not be the sole interviewing parties.

This whole process seems like they went into it blindly and had no ideas of what the process would be.

Same as the last GM and coaching hire. All of this work to find the right candidate because they had no clue who they wanted and then had no ability to find the right candidates anyway.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
Yes you interview with all sorts of people and the opinions are weighed and eventually the buck stops with the person in need of the person to be hired, who has the most knowledge of the role the person will fill. If when the GM is hired all of these interviews take place again you are correct and the process is as you are pointing out.

What would think if you went into a company and they interviewed you and at the end they said. Thank you for your time but this process meant nothing as the hiring manager is not yet employed.

Ted and George are interviewing a person for a job that they are not qualified to hire them for. Recruiters can send people to you to hire all of the time and the person that hires them should have knowledge of the position they will file.

I guess I am just jaded in thinking that Ted and George should not be the sole interviewing parties.

This whole process seems like they went into it blindly and had no ideas of what the process would be.

Same as the last GM and coaching hire. All of this work to find the right candidate because they had no clue who they wanted and then had no ability to find the right candidates anyway.

But if you are being interviewed by the President and CEO, it really doesnt matter.

You are jaded, but i dont fault you for it because the Bears have made a lot of mistakes. Hopefully they get things right this time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
Let's compare EJ Manuel and Jameis Winston then. I think Winston looks like a much, much better prospect than Manuel, but Manuel had a really good numbers in that system, better than you may remember. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ej-manuel-1.html

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
As far as their final college years they are, in fact they arguably had better numbers because they didnt have all the interceptions that he had.

To be clear though, as a whole he obviously put up better overall numbers than those two. Especially with his out of this world freshman year. I just cant ignore the fact that some of his success should be attributed to the system and then to add on all the negative outside stuff he is not a real great prospect IMO.

If you actually watched the majority of their games you would see why they aren't really comparable. As a FSU fan, I was shocked and laughed when I saw Ponder and Manuel get drafted in the first round. Manuel in particular I can't tell you how many times would just chuck the ball downfield and have one of his big WRs just go up and grab it. Winston is totally different. He puts balls in windows that are barely there, he throws to spots that get his receivers open instead of waiting for an open man, and he uses his mobility only when necessary. Look, I personally agree with those saying they would not want their team to draft him, because I'm done rooting for him too and wouldn't want him on my NFL team, but for anyone to deny his ability and potential and to use weak comparisons is just being ignorant and willfully blind because of the stuff in his personal life. He's an exceptional talent who was spotted in high school and has actually lived up to the hype. From a pure ability on the field, he is more than worthy of being the #1 pick. Obviously, his off the field baggage changes things, but I just do not understand those who try to deny the talent, other than doing so out of some grudge against him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
If you actually watched the majority of their games you would see why they aren't really comparable. As a FSU fan, I was shocked and laughed when I saw Ponder and Manuel get drafted in the first round. Manuel in particular I can't tell you how many times would just chuck the ball downfield and have one of his big WRs just go up and grab it. Winston is totally different. He puts balls in windows that are barely there, he throws to spots that get his receivers open instead of waiting for an open man, and he uses his mobility only when necessary. Look, I personally agree with those saying they would not want their team to draft him, because I'm done rooting for him too and wouldn't want him on my NFL team, but for anyone to deny his ability and potential and to use weak comparisons is just being ignorant and willfully blind because of the stuff in his personal life. He's an exceptional talent who was spotted in high school and has actually lived up to the hype. From a pure ability on the field, he is more than worthy of being the #1 pick. Obviously, his off the field baggage changes things, but I just do not understand those who try to deny the talent, other than doing so out of some grudge against him.

Sonix...your insights are super valuable and very consistent with what I saw and my thoughts. I really think if it weren't for those off the field issues, Winston would be getting talked about as being a once in a generation type QB prospect. That is how good I think his football skills are. And I agree with you that FSU didn't have a lot of talent around him and the dude still carried his team to a playoff game (and led his team back in the National Championship game last year). He has done it all. It would be absurd to not pick him at 7 if he were available (unless he totally bombs interviews, etc). I don't think he is even very much like Manziel, from the off the field perspective, either.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)

Wow this would shock me if it happened. After all the talk and rumblings it seemed for sure Ballard was the guy.