2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
Ok well that settles it then. I hope Winston fails so you guys can be wrong in your strong convictions and I can be right.

:lolhitting

And when we are right, it won't matter to you cause Bears will be winning. Sounds like a win win. I should point out that I am notoriously wrong on Bears QB's so my thoughts are pretty worthless. I tend to be pretty accurate on other teams but I must be overly biased when it comes to Bears QB's.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
Wow this would shock me if it happened. After all the talk and rumblings it seemed for sure Ballard was the guy.

No offense to Gage, but that doesn't sound like a rock solid source.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
Ya, he's much worse.

They are entirely different. One is out partying all the time (nothing illegal) where as the other has had 1 illegal moment and one much more serious, but he was never convicted moment. None of us know what happened there. Had he been innocent though, than really he has had 1 theft incident (which was stupid but in the grand scheme of things minor) and an incident at school that probably never gets blown out of proportion (had it not been for the 1st incident; however, you can't ignore his stupidity for doing said incident given he has had to live in the shadows of that 1st incident).

It really comes out to what is out their in the inside circles regarding his main incident. If everyone really doesn't think there was much smoke their (and I have no earthly idea), than I really wouldn't be worried about his off the field issues. However, if 1 is more of a "coverup" than well, I don't take him.

You would think with the Bears done interviewing 4 candidates, that some of the candidates would at least start getting informed that the Bears are going to head in a different direction (and at least than, those groups would start leaking info). I guess the question is, do the Bears think they need 2nd round interviews with certain candidates or did they get to spend enough time with them in 1 interview.

How come the Chicago media can't figure out when Bowles is interviewing? I figure something gets leaked prior to his interview but would be nice to know when that is scheduled for.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
But if you are being interviewed by the President and CEO, it really doesnt matter.

You are jaded, but i dont fault you for it because the Bears have made a lot of mistakes. Hopefully they get things right this time.

In a functioning company whether successful or not the CEO and President should have earned the title because they know the business.

George and Ted do not know the business they have proven that.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
Brad Biggs @BradBiggs · 3h

#Bears interviewing #Cardinals DC Todd Bowles for head coaching position today after schedule change. A look at him http://trib.in/13RIbZu

I meant like what time. Morning, Afternoon, etc. I say that because when it came to Melo, literally the media was following his limo. Shouldn't they be doing something similar. This is the Bears we are talking about. The Bears trump every other sports franchise in Chicago (like it or not). Scooping this type of news is huge for any Bear reporter and for whichever media outlet employees said reporter.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
In a functioning company whether successful or not the CEO and President should have earned the title because they know the business.

George and Ted do not know the business they have proven that.

And if Accorsi isn't asking these candidates questions, exactly what is his purpose? Just to get names? These names were all pretty well known since Emery and Trestman were still Bears employees. George and Ted interviewing someone for football position is like Derrick Rose interviewing potential rocket scientists. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Have Accorsi interview these guys, give his recommondation, and then bring Ted and George in to see if they are comfortable with the dollars and personality. They shouldn't be asking football questions. They have proven they aren't qualified to do that.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
Sonix...your insights are super valuable and very consistent with what I saw and my thoughts. I really think if it weren't for those off the field issues, Winston would be getting talked about as being a once in a generation type QB prospect. That is how good I think his football skills are. And I agree with you that FSU didn't have a lot of talent around him and the dude still carried his team to a playoff game (and led his team back in the National Championship game last year). He has done it all. It would be absurd to not pick him at 7 if he were available (unless he totally bombs interviews, etc). I don't think he is even very much like Manziel, from the off the field perspective, either.

Manziel and Winston can not be compared on or off the field.

Manziel is a clown looking for attention and he does not have much football talent.

Winston is a football talent that needs some professional guidance. The biggest mistake of Winston's life was choosing FSU which seems to have not helped him to mature and placed him in an environment that does not prepare players for life outside of the FSU football womb.

I just can not seem to like Winston so I want to think he will be bad.

Pretty certain he will not get past the Bucs and then Trestman can grow the man.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
And if Accorsi isn't asking these candidates questions, exactly what is his purpose? Just to get names? These names were all pretty well known since Emery and Trestman were still Bears employees. George and Ted interviewing someone for football position is like Derrick Rose interviewing potential rocket scientists. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Have Accorsi interview these guys, give his recommondation, and then bring Ted and George in to see if they are comfortable with the dollars and personality. They shouldn't be asking football questions. They have proven they aren't qualified to do that.

Accorsi has been interviewing the GM's, which is the important hire that Ernie is involved with. I am going to presume that something came up with Adam Gase that Ernie didn't attend, but either way, that is less of a focal point since the Bears aren't going to hire a coach without bringing in a GM and the GM will be the one asking the HC the questions that matter and making the final decision. If the Bears were to hire Gase today, without having a GM in place and without Ernie being involved, at that point, we can all get upset cause that would be awful.

However, I don't think that is the case and with all of the misinformation out there and the fact that one person reported that Ernie wasn't in that interview, how do we even know that is the case. I know I read multiple tweets that pointed to Ernie taking part in all of the GM interviews (at a minimum).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)

The George and Ted hiring process seems to be similar to a GM drafting players based on a consensus best available player on the board via draft experts.

Alright...I'm going to do some Steve like reporting and decide that we will hear that our new GM, Chris Ballard, was part of the Bowles interview. By the end of today we will know who are GM is (I think the Bears brass already knows) and if the Bears like what they hear from Bowles, they will make an aggressive push to stop him from visiting the Niners / Falcons later on.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
Alright...I'm going to do some Steve like reporting and decide that we will hear that our new GM, Chris Ballard, was part of the Bowles interview. By the end of today we will know who are GM is (I think the Bears brass already knows) and if the Bears like what they hear from Bowles, they will make an aggressive push to stop him from visiting the Niners / Falcons later on.

This would be nice.

I am really afraid the Bears are going to come out of left field with some crazy hire of every one we would least expect for both GM and coach. LOL

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)

It would be awesome if their new GM is now part of the process, but a pipedream IMO Bowles would take the job if offered.. Why would Bowles blow off the 49ers and Falcons for the Bears, which is considered the worst job of the 3?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
This would be nice.

I am really afraid the Bears are going to come out of left field with some crazy hire of every one we would least expect for both GM and coach. LOL

They did that two years ago and look where we are now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)

How do you know he hasnt interviewed this candidates already? You are making alot of assumptions.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
It would be awesome if their new GM is now part of the process, but a pipedream IMO Bowles would take the job if offered.. Why would Bowles blow off the 49ers and Falcons for the Bears, which is considered the worst job of the 3?

I don't think Bowles would necessarily take the job before meeting with the other teams but part of that comes down to how confident is he in terms of his rank with those other teams and if he were to meet with our GM, how good of a sales pitch can our GM make (Supposedly that is a major strength of Ballard's).