2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
How do you know he hasnt interviewed this candidates already? You are making alot of assumptions.

If the GM is hiring the coach and Accorsi has interviewed the candidate, what is the purpose of said candidate going to Halas Hall to anwers questions from Geoge and Ted? What questions are they asking? If it is ANYTHING football related, NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT HALAS HALL.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
If the GM is hiring the coach and Accorsi has interviewed the candidate, what is the purpose of said candidate going to Halas Hall to anwers questions from Geoge and Ted? What questions are they asking? If it is ANYTHING football related, NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT HALAS HALL.

If you saw my other post, by interviewing candidates of playoff teams who had bye weeks, if said teams stay in the playoffs, you are actually able to re-interview them during the bye week between the conference championships and the superbowl. If you didn't interview them during the initial bye week, you have to wait until after the superbowl to interview them again. By meeting with candidates with the Seahawks / Broncos, we basically gave ourselves a shot at having our GM meet with them during the bye week. Otherwise, first shot we'd have at those candidates (if we were interested), would be after the superbowl (which I certainly wouldn't want us making our first impressions that late).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
If you saw my other post, by interviewing candidates of playoff teams who had bye weeks, if said teams stay in the playoffs, you are actually able to re-interview them during the bye week between the conference championships and the superbowl. If you didn't interview them during the initial bye week, you have to wait until after the superbowl to interview them again. By meeting with candidates with the Seahawks / Broncos, we basically gave ourselves a shot at having our GM meet with them during the bye week. Otherwise, first shot we'd have at those candidates (if we were interested), would be after the superbowl (which I certainly wouldn't want us making our first impressions that late).

But if Accorsi is a paid consultant, and interviewed them, wouldn't that count? I don't think he did interview the coaches, and I think he should have. IMO, unless you are talking contract, George and Ted talking to a potential coach is worthless. Regardless, Accorsi should have done the interviewing and Ted and George could have sat in and listened.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
But if Accorsi is a paid consultant, and interviewed them, wouldn't that count? I don't think he did interview the coaches, and I think he should have. IMO, unless you are talking contract, George and Ted talking to a potential coach is worthless.

George & Ted should still be in the room. Ultimately they sign the checks. I think they should go off of the consultants recommendation but they also have to be comfortable with the process. I don't think they should just wait outside while Ernie does all the work. If I were a candidate and I couldn't meet with the owner and president and talk to them and understand their visions of your role, etc, I'd look very poorly on the Bears organization and would not be interested in working with them.

I have no idea whether Ernie was in the interviews with the coaches or not but that decision shouldn't be made by Ernie so I am less concerned (as long as Ted / George let the GM make whatever decision on HC and i have no reason to believe the GM won't be allowed to do that). Would you prefer the Bears tell their next GM candidate that our adviser really liked so and so and we are going to hire him? That wouldn't make sense either. I want our GM to completely dictate who he wants. The coach still needs to meet and ownership still needs to sign off on it but I wouldn't expect a veto unless their was some insane red flag on the candidate (like, no, that candidate said all of these derogatory things about my mom Virginia).

As long as Ernie is involved with the GM stuff, that is all that matters in my book. Also, I should point out, If I were the owners, I'd have let Ernie coach me so I could ultimately lead the meeting and ask the key questions, etc. I want as much of this stuff coming out of my mouth vs. having a 3rd party doing everything. That could look very poorly, imo. Than, Ernie can jump in with occasional questions and commentary as well. I presume it should be a pretty fluid discussion and would presume a lot of the talking is being done by the GM and not the other way around.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
George & Ted should still be in the room. Ultimately they sign the checks. I think they should go off of the consultants recommendation but they also have to be comfortable with the process. I don't think they should just wait outside while Ernie does all the work. If I were a candidate and I couldn't meet with the owner and president and talk to them and understand their visions of your role, etc, I'd look very poorly on the Bears organization and would not be interested in working with them.

That's an important point. Acorsi isn't running the Bears. He'll be done with them shortly. The new GM owes it to himself to get a complete and accurate understanding of his role, responsibilities and power within the organization. Ultimately, that's still George & Ted's call, and it's the working relationship they all have to live with for years to come. I wouldn't want a GM who didn't interview with George and Ted or at least Ted.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
That's an important point. Acorsi isn't running the Bears. He'll be done with them shortly. The new GM owes it to himself to get a complete and accurate understanding of his role, responsibilities and power within the organization. Ultimately, that's still George & Ted's call, and it's the working relationship they all have to live with for years to come. I wouldn't want a GM who didn't interview with George and Ted or at least Ted.

George, Ted and Ernie should interview and hire the GM

Ernie and the new GM should hire the coach while George is in the room, Ted has no business being part of the coaching search

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)

Why wouldn't they meet him?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
Why wouldn't they meet him?

Meet them fine. But this was supposedly an interview. As I have stated, IMO ideally, Ted and George come in when it is decided who Accorsi wants to hire as the GM, and when it is decided who the new GM wants to be his coach. Then they can ask the questions about living arrrangements, contract details, etc. They don't need to be asking about offensive philosophies. It has been tried, and proven to be a failure. Let them handle the business end.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Meet them fine. But this was supposedly an interview. As I have stated, IMO Ted and George come in when it is decided who Accorsi wants to hire as the GM, and when it is decided who the new GM wants to be his coach. Then they can ask the questions about living arrrangements, contract details, etc. They don't need to be asking about offensive philosophies. It has been tried, and proven to be a failure. Let them handle the business end.

You are making a lot of assumptions about what happened at the meeting and what they talked about. A high level employee like a head coach should be familiar with all levels of management and him meeting them when he was available makes a lot of sense.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
You are making a lot of assumptions about what happened at the meeting and what they talked about. A high level employee like a head coach should be familiar with all levels of management and him meeting them when he was available makes a lot of sense.

You are also making a lot of assumptions. The method has been unsuccessful in the past. How do you know Accorsi interviewed the coaches? The only report was he was not part of the interview for at least one. So unless Pace had been hired and was in the room, George and Ted were conducting an interview for a HC. That is just silly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
You are also making a lot of assumptions. The method has been unsuccessful in the past. How do you know Accorsi interviewed the coaches? The only report was he was not part of the interview for at least one. So unless Pace had been hired and was in the room, George and Ted were conducting an interview for a HC. That is just silly.

Because his job is to vet the candidates which includes having an actual conversation.

The rest of your post is something you would never be convinced didnt happen so thats your prerogative.

Told you guys they'd find a way to have Bowles in...now to see if Bowles knocks the Bears socks off. I like the fact that supposedly Pace's approach at a multi-year rebuilding plan knocked all of their socks off and his proposed approach I guess was better than Ballard's. That said, its all freaking hypothetical so hard to really say. At least its a guy from a winning organization but I really admire what the Chiefs have accomplished the past two years without an elite QB. I also think the Chiefs are a team that has a lot more overall talent than say the Saints.

I've never viewed the Saints as loaded with talent and always felt that they were a flawed team that thankfully had masterful offensive personnel, specifically Brees, who could never seem to get the defense right (not sure how much that falls on Pace per say).

Hopefully he's one of these young wiz kids that one day can move to the president role after winning a few superbowls as we promote from within some bright people who develop under him :)

Geeze...37. Would that make him the youngest GM in the league?