2014-2015 NFL Football thread

Below is a quick summary. Ryan was extremely calm during the entire interview. I walked away feeling pretty good.

Phillips: Phillips, Pace, Accoris, and George will all be involved in the coaching interview process.

Phillips: Pace lead the interview

Pace:

- 1st order of business is to hire the right head coach to bring multiple championships and that is the most critical decision to be made and he pointed out how Sean Payton hire was the spark that got Saints set in the right direction.

- Will be aggressive and will do anything possible to strengthen the roster

- Must build through the draft and need to string through

- Not just collecting athletes, they are acquiring football players who fit the Chicago Bears. Emphasis on character, instincts, toughness, and winning games

- Will not discuss any coaching candidates or individual players.

Than opens it up for questions (his actual lead was about 2 minutes).

Q&A:

- Highlights again about focus in the organization was about winning games, no ego's, etc.

- Looking for the best coach (doesn't matter if 4/3 or 3-4 or offensive / defensive). Confidence, Charisma, leadership, etc. Wants man for the job. Really keeps hitting on fact that the right head coach is what he needs and than evaluate the roster and develop off-season plan

- Points out that they can get back to playoffs quick, but the key is really to have a progressive plan and improve

- Re: Structural changes, says he needs to evaluate things first and than from their can make structural decisions. Said it would be unfair for him to judge people prior to getting to know them.

- He was not looking to just jump at first job; Views this as a historic franchise that desperately wants to win and is willing to do whatever it takes to get it and he wants to be a part of that

- He has set additional interviews vs. what had been originally scheduled regarding coaches

- He has a list of coaches and certain staff people who he values but indicates its "fair" and "right" to evaluate current staff here first

- He has full control of 53 man roster; However, the relationship of the HC & GM is critical along with HC and QB. In his 15 years in New Orleans, never saw Mickey & Sean have a major argument. So his point is, while he has full control, he needs to be working every day with the coaches and get the right guys for the coaches.

- He slipped...briefly, said he does want to make structure and scouting structure more like New Orleans but than went back to say structures are pretty similar

- Has final say on HC hire, but points out he will lean on George, Ernie, and Ted

- QB is critical position to achieve sustained success but not the only position. All 53 guys need to contribute and he understands why Brees was successful but that he wants to get to know Jay before coming to any conclusions

- Talked about adversity from bountygate, etc, and how it is how you handle adversity and persevere through it and he's learned from that and believes a lot has to do with your attitude when going through it

- In regards to age, talks about how despite age, he has seen a lot and views his experience in New Orleans and isn't worried about his age and feels he's fully experienced

- Feels really good about being here and that he is empowered (but doesn't directly indicate how long his contract is)

- Evaluating the QB is more than what you see on tape...he needs to get to know him as a person (refuses to go any more in depth)

- Pro / College department in New Orleans was merged so he was always involved with the draft (even though he had a pro title) and he envisions that it is critical to have that "merged" process. Seems that we will see that sort of change in Chicago. Thinks that the fact that being on the pro side, allows you to better see and understand what it takes to succeed at various positions, etc, which than better helps you when it comes to targeting the players in the draft that have those attributes. Also values the fact that on the pro side you see more about coach / GM involvement, etc, but continued to highlight his involvement in the draft

- Bottom line, key is to draft and you acquire players in FA to allow you to always draft best player available

- Thrives on the fact that he is evaluated on wins and losses and he is not concerned about the time-frame George / Ted will give him. Its a win/loss business.

- Raved about Drew Brees work ethic

- Talks about how division is strong and how Lions / Packers have done a great job building themselves through the draft (ignored Minny)

- Is not yet sure whether he will use the old Emery system of drafting or the new system of drafting. Ultimately his method will be implemented just isn't sure yet if it will be this year. Has to see it and get into it.

- Points out that he has never hired a head coach / been involved in that. Indicates he will leverage and take advantage of the other guys in the organization who have and lean heavy on Ernie

- Only get one first shot and he talked about how from the moment he walked in the building, he could just "feel" it here and it will be set-up to win with sustained success and he is excited about it. Historic experience, coming back to Illinois, everything just felt right. His wife's family is all Bears fans.

- Talked about weather and how to win in the environment in Chicago, you have to be able to run the ball and play tough, physical defense and that they are going to get back to that

- He is influenced by Payton and the qualities he brought (from Parcells) and how he was focused on discipline. Also highlighted the energy, charisma, and confidence and how the HC is selling his plan from the players and he will be looking for that type of coach.

- Believes in taking BPA, period. Talked about a learning lesson early in his career, where he pushed a DT in 2003 early, who didn't end up being a good player, because it was a need (vs. BPA).

- Urgency to get coach in place in time of the senior bowl but pointed out that he doesn't want that timetable to rush the Bears in the decision of the head coach as it is crucial he gets it right

- Favors no specific philosophy but a coach that can adjust his defense to the players vs. pigeon hole his players into the scheme. (I lean this to meaning a guy like Bowles who has made it all work, injuries, 3-4 / 4-3, etc).

- He does report into Ted; Said Ted reminds him a lot of Mickey Loomis and he has an automatic connection and points out that his relationship with Ted is going to be important and that he is comfortable with the hierarchy. He is going to continue to lean on various peoples experience since he is a young GM (again pointed to Ted and Ernie).

- Isn't going to immediately talk to Jay but he'll have time to. First priority is HC

- Intangibles for QB position are critical (again, Drew has left an impression on him regarding that)

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
Damn jason, what are you a court reporter? that was fast!

You all can make fun of my spelling all you want, but you will never find a faster typer (it's true). I don't have time to go back and re-read all this stuff that I post on a forum (normally while I'm multitasking on something else like a conference call, etc).

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Ryan will oversee all football operations and will report to Ted Phillips

Jerry Angelo had all of the power and built a roster that went to the super bowl then somehow Lovie Smith was allowed to have a say in personnel decisions and there went the slow train to non-super bowl team. I am thinking this was not Jerry Angelo's idea.

If the GM is reporting to Ted, Ted has a role. He is not scouting and hands on but he has a role. If not, the GM would not report to him.

There is something there and I do not like it. A direct line between George and the GM is what needs to happen.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Reading between the lines, I do not think Jay Cutler will be back.

I agree, as well as Brandon Marshall. Pace put a strong emphasis on character. Marshall very well could of ran his mouth out of town.

Very cool Gage, thanks.

Hate to beat a dead horse but I still just hate the fact that Phillips has to be involved in choosing the HC. Good lord why does he have to be there? I dont care if he has even the slightest effect on what decision is made its too much.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
Very cool Gage, thanks.

Hate to beat a dead horse but I still just hate the fact that Phillips has to be involved in choosing the HC. Good lord why does he have to be there? I dont care if he has even the slightest effect on what decision is made its too much.

Agreed, he has no business being involved after the GM is here.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
I agree, as well as Brandon Marshall. Pace put a strong emphasis on character. Marshall very well could of ran his mouth out of town.

Yeah; I liked the fact that one of the first things he talked about was character.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
Jerry Angelo had all of the power and built a roster that went to the super bowl then somehow Lovie Smith was allowed to have a say in personnel decisions and there went the slow train to non-super bowl team. I am thinking this was not Jerry Angelo's idea.

If the GM is reporting to Ted, Ted has a role. He is not scouting and hands on but he has a role. If not, the GM would not report to him.

There is something there and I do not like it. A direct line between George and the GM is what needs to happen.

This is always a problem when a team has success in any sport. Everyone wants more control because they feel they are right. It just depends on who the owner/president thinks is better.

This happened with the Bulls. After winning the championships. Phil Jackson wanted more GM power which would have pushed Krause out. JR wouldn't give it to him so Jackson left. He went to LA did the same thing and divorced his wife to marry the owners daughter and got more power. He his now the power in NY and is seeing how difficult it can be.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)

I think what Pace indicated was ultimately while he has final say, it shouldn't ever come down to him having final say as he should have that good of a relationship with the HC that they literally see eye to eye or can reach an agreement. I think that is critical because it ensures you are getting people who fit the coaches style, scheme's, etc, and you aren't worried about that because you agree wholeheartedly with what the coaches are doing, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Reading between the lines, I do not think Jay Cutler will be back.

I dont know. I dont see anything wrong with looking for the next QB and keeping Jay as just a stop gap. Unless he thinks Jay will effect every player he is going to bring in in the next couple years in a negative way that it cant be done.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
I dont know. I dont see anything wrong with looking for the next QB and keeping Jay as just a stop gap. Unless he thinks Jay will effect every player he is going to bring in in the next couple years in a negative way that it cant be done.

Well getting them hooked on cigarettes will probably affect them in a negative way, so maybe they should get rid of him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)

I swear if the Bears cut Marshall they're the dumbest f***ing franchise in the league. Cutting him for what? For speaking out and being emotional when the team and franchise is going down the tube? SO TERRIBLE! He's an incredible talent and has been worth every penny.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
I swear if the Bears cut Marshall they're the dumbest f***ing franchise in the league. Cutting him for what? For speaking out and being emotional when the team and franchise is going down the tube? SO TERRIBLE! He's an incredible talent and has been worth every penny.

Worth asking a question...let's say the Bears trade Cutler and go all-in on "rebuilding". What would have more use to the Bears, Marshall or a ~4th round pick next year in that case?

Clearing out that cap space and adding a future pick could be the right move if they dump their QB without a replacement that can help them compete now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
Worth asking a question...let's say the Bears trade Cutler and go all-in on "rebuilding". What would have more use to the Bears, Marshall or a ~4th round pick next year in that case?

Clearing out that cap space and adding a future pick could be the right move if they dump their QB without a replacement that can help them compete now.

Totally agree. I'm more attacking the "Marshall is a cancer" crowd. That's a bunch of nonsense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)

I question that another team would give up a 4th round pick for Marshall at this point.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Totally agree. I'm more attacking the "Marshall is a cancer" crowd. That's a bunch of nonsense.

I think that comes from people who are close to the situation. There are sources from within that are saying things like this.

Lance Briggs walked out on him last year when he started ranting in the locker room and telling Gould to sit down and shut up because he was just a kicker. You think that is acceptable and not a cancer in anyway? I really havent decided myself on what I hope to happen with Marshall but if Pace has heard enough from the people on the team (believe he is going to do his research) that Marshall is a detriment and trade/release him I would be fine with that. They arent a playoff team for the next year anyway.