2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
I swear if the Bears cut Marshall they're the dumbest f***ing franchise in the league. Cutting him for what? For speaking out and being emotional when the team and franchise is going down the tube? SO TERRIBLE! He's an incredible talent and has been worth every penny.

Well there's rumors about him being a "menace" or whatever in the locker room, but maybe a competent coach could correct that.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
I question that another team would give up a 4th round pick for Marshall at this point.

With the amount of WR coming out of college and having major impact right away. No way I would trade for Marshall, not just his personality, he is getting older. Big WR tend to slow down faster.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
I think that comes from people who are close to the situation. There are sources from within that are saying things like this.

Lance Briggs walked out on him last year when he started ranting in the locker room and telling Gould to sit down and shut up because he was just a kicker. You think that is acceptable and not a cancer in anyway? I really havent decided myself on what I hope to happen with Marshall but if Pace has heard enough from the people on the team (believe he is going to do his research) that Marshall is a detriment and trade/release him I would be fine with that. They arent a playoff team for the next year anyway.

Just for the record Peyton manning did the same thing when Mike Vanderjagt criticized him. He said, he's just a drunk kicker.

MostNFL players really don't think the kicker is a football player. You hear the "only a kicker" comment alot.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
well that makes me like him less. His job is to get the team to the playoffs and the Superbowl, not to appease meatheads.

Considering the NFC road to the Super Bowl goes through Green Bay, I am OK with it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
Well there's rumors about him being a "menace" or whatever in the locker room, but maybe a competent coach could correct that.

I've heard alot of people criticize the way Trestman ran a locker room. He expected them to be men and allowed them to do their own thing. It obviously failed.

I'll be interested to see how Maddon does with the Cubs as he has said he runs a team in a similar way. His only rule is that that run hard to first. He expects them to be professional and know how to take care of the rest. This was in response to the staying out late crowd and having a day game the next day. When asked what he would do if they don't act like an adult he said we don't want those types of players here.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
Just for the record Peyton manning did the same thing when Mike Vanderjagt criticized him. He said, he's just a drunk kicker.

MostNFL players really don't think the kicker is a football player. You hear the "only a kicker" comment alot.

Which is fine but it doesnt make it right. Gould isnt a drunk and happens to be one of the best kickers in Bears history. Not that everyone should shut up and listen when Gould talks but I think when guys like Briggs walk out when you try giving the team a pep talk/rant that shows how much you are respected.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
Worth asking a question...let's say the Bears trade Cutler and go all-in on "rebuilding". What would have more use to the Bears, Marshall or a ~4th round pick next year in that case?

Clearing out that cap space and adding a future pick could be the right move if they dump their QB without a replacement that can help them compete now.

Not to mention the impacts of building the "right" culture which is huge. When you have the right culture build, you can bring in guys like Marshall and make it work, however, it is hard to build the right culture when you have those guys. My opinion....Marshall is gone. I think jay is too but i don't think he necessarily ruins the culture but the key would be having a QB who helps drive the same culture (I don't think that is Jay and that is mainly because I don't think he is a natural leader...he certainly isn't a guy that is going to be disliked either though and ruin the clubhouse, which is what Marshall very much can do).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)

The Bears need to build a winning culture and the right culture. You can't do that when one of the faces is Marshall. Get rid of Brandon. Brandon fits on teams, but for it to work, he needs to join an organization with a strong culture that has already been shaped. Don't like Brandon help shape your culture...it will be a losing culture.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Which is fine but it doesnt make it right. Gould isnt a drunk and happens to be one of the best kickers in Bears history. Not that everyone should shut up and listen when Gould talks but I think when guys like Briggs walk out when you try giving the team a pep talk/rant that shows how much you are respected.

Briggs lost about every ounce of credibility the last 2 years. He showed up to get his paycheck and that's about it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Totally agree. I'm more attacking the "Marshall is a cancer" crowd. That's a bunch of nonsense.

Well given that two teams already gave up on him and traded him, why are you so sure it's a bunch of nonsense? It seems to be the norm after a few years in one town.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)
The Bears need to build a winning culture and the right culture. You can't do that when one of the faces is Marshall. Get rid of Brandon. Brandon fits on teams, but for it to work, he needs to join an organization with a strong culture that has already been shaped. Don't like Brandon help shape your culture...it will be a losing culture.

You know what builds a winning culture? Winning. You know how to hurt your chances of winning? Getting rid of a top 5 WR in the game.

It would be moronic to move him just because of his attitude.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)
You know what builds a winning culture? Winning. You know how to hurt your chances of winning? Getting rid of a top 5 WR in the game.

The Bears have plenty of other skill position players (Jeffrey, Forte, and Bennett). If Marshall is as bad as some of the insiders are indicating, he needs to be gone. Case closed. I am sick and tired of our losing ways and what has gone on under the Trestman era. Look at most of the recent superbowl champs, did any of them have a top 5 wideout? I don't think so? The best wideouts in the game have had a hell of a time being on consistent winners (Megatron, Fitz, Julio, Bmarsh, Dez (finally makes it his first year).

Get rid of Bmarsh now anyway, cause we can only spend so much on skill-position players (more money should be invested in the oline / d-line anyway) and I'd rather be able to give it to Jeffrey (if new coaches can get him to stop making so many stupid penalties and help him continue to grow...I do hope our WR coach sticks around).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
Well given that two teams already gave up on him and traded him, why are you so sure it's a bunch of nonsense? It seems to be the norm after a few years in one town.

I'm sure it's not all nonsense. I'm sure he rubs people the wrong way. But he was a model citizen his first 2 seasons and after a historically bad season he spoke out. Is that really a bad thing? WR's, by personality, are narcissistic assholes. This has been studied decades ago. When they've got talent, you do everything you can to put up with it because he will help you win.

Also, he gets a pass in my book because he was literally the only Bear who gave a s*** when they started losing this year. I can't remember what game it was, game 4 or 5 when they were trying to come back, and he was the only one screaming for Jay to hurry up so they could try to win in the closing minutes. He gave a s*** and became the outspoken one and given his past mental issues the narrative of a menace started.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)

You hate on Cutler all the damn time. What has Marshall won? I'm not saying you look at it in that vacuum but there are more to the business and the game than pure stats.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
The Bears have plenty of other skill position players (Jeffrey, Forte, and Bennett). If Marshall is as bad as some of the insiders are indicating, he needs to be gone. Case closed. I am sick and tired of our losing ways and what has gone on under the Trestman era. Look at most of the recent superbowl champs, did any of them have a top 5 wideout? I don't think so? The best wideouts in the game have had a hell of a time being on consistent winners (Megatron, Fitz, Julio, Bmarsh, Dez (finally makes it his first year).

Get rid of Bmarsh now anyway, cause we can only spend so much on skill-position players (more money should be invested in the oline / d-line anyway) and I'd rather be able to give it to Jeffrey (if new coaches can get him to stop making so many stupid penalties and help him continue to grow...I do hope our WR coach sticks around).

Insiders who are buddy buddy with guys like Tillman and Briggs and the old guard who are still pissed that Lovie got canned. Sorry man, I don't buy that. I'm sure Marshall was annoying and got in people's faces and was very vocal. And I think that's great. Too many soft spoken people on that roster anyway. Zero leadership. That has to change, and when Marshall is playing well and doesn't need to be that vocal person he shuts up and says and does all the right things.

And the Bears are one injury away from having a pretty terrible and inexperienced WR core. Why on earth would you break up the best asset this Bears team has? If you're going in a different direction from Jay, a new QB is going to be helped more with 2 stud WR's over 1.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)

I realize that. I'm just saying that the fact that Marshall was yelling that Gould was only a kicker is a very common comment in NFL locker rooms.

I'm sure Briggs walked out because of another one of Marshall's rants as when players do this too often, others tune them out.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
I'm sure it's not all nonsense. I'm sure he rubs people the wrong way. But he was a model citizen his first 2 seasons and after a historically bad season he spoke out. Is that really a bad thing? WR's, by personality, are narcissistic assholes. This has been studied decades ago. When they've got talent, you do everything you can to put up with it because he will help you win.

Also, he gets a pass in my book because he was literally the only Bear who gave a s*** when they started losing this year. I can't remember what game it was, game 4 or 5 when they were trying to come back, and he was the only one screaming for Jay to hurry up so they could try to win in the closing minutes. He gave a s*** and became the outspoken one and given his past mental issues the narrative of a menace started.

All the awfulness gets jumbled up, but it might have been the Patriots game where he basically stopped running routes in the 3rd quarter cause it was a blowout. Don't tell me that he is the only one who gives a s***.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
You hate on Cutler all the damn time. What has Marshall won? I'm not saying you look at it in that vacuum but there are more to the business and the game than pure stats.

?? He's literally the best or 2nd best WR in the history of the franchise. After 3 seasons with the team. It would be crazy to get rid of him solely because of attitude issues.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
Insiders who are buddy buddy with guys like Tillman and Briggs and the old guard who are still pissed that Lovie got canned. Sorry man, I don't buy that. I'm sure Marshall was annoying and got in people's faces and was very vocal. And I think that's great. Too many soft spoken people on that roster anyway. Zero leadership. That has to change, and when Marshall is playing well and doesn't need to be that vocal person he shuts up and says and does all the right things.

And the Bears are one injury away from having a pretty terrible and inexperienced WR core. Why on earth would you break up the best asset this Bears team has? If you're going in a different direction from Jay, a new QB is going to be helped more with 2 stud WR's over 1.

When you are manic it isn't good to have people in your faces. And you say he was great for the first two years, who the hell knows whether that was really the case or not. I think marshall is the type that one minute he's yelling and high fiving his teammates, next minute he's in their face yelling and pissed, than back to the other and all over the map (have you listened to some of his interviews for god sakes). On top of it, he is blabbing with the media and creating other issues for the lockerroom to deal with (vs. keeping stuff inside which is preferred). That has major repercussions on a lockeroom and when you see those guys get different treatment from coaches, it drives further issues regarding your ability to discipline, etc.

Bottom line, the most successful coaches, manage everyone the same damn way (not necessarily same message, but the ego's and dollars are checked at the door and the best players win and everyone is disciplined and held to the same standards).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
All the awfulness gets jumbled up, but it might have been the Patriots game where he basically stopped running routes in the 3rd quarter cause it was a blowout. Don't tell me that he is the only one who gives a s***.

Yep. He literally quit in one of the games and than got heat for it and than started making some case about how hard he tries and how he tries harder than eveyrone else (and than ran his mouth in the lockeroom about it). I'm sure players are like, dude shut up. I'm busting my ass (not saying all of them were) too but I don't need to keep trumping about it (especially not after you quit on us the last game). Marshall is funny and I admire the fact that he's cleaned up his off the field issues, but I firmly believe he is still a gigantic cancer in the clubhouse.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
?? He's literally the best or 2nd best WR in the history of the franchise. After 3 seasons with the team. It would be crazy to get rid of him solely because of attitude issues.

And what has having Brandon Marshall got us? What did having Megatron get the Lions for all those seasons (and all the money they paid him). Even this year, you think they made the playoffs cause of Calvin (he missed a good chunk of the year and did fine)? And Megatron is a good dude and obviously elite, but bottom line there is a heck of a lot more to it than stats and a lot of the elite wideouts more often than not don't make the playoffs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
When you are manic it isn't good to have people in your faces. And you say he was great for the first two years, who the hell knows whether that was really the case or not. I think marshall is the type that one minute he's yelling and high fiving his teammates, next minute he's in their face yelling and pissed, than back to the other and all over the map (have you listened to some of his interviews for god sakes). On top of it, he is blabbing with the media and creating other issues for the lockerroom to deal with (vs. keeping stuff inside which is preferred). That has major repercussions on a lockeroom and when you see those guys get different treatment from coaches, it drives further issues regarding your ability to discipline, etc.

Bottom line, the most successful coaches, manage everyone the same damn way (not necessarily same message, but the ego's and dollars are checked at the door and the best players win and everyone is disciplined and held to the same standards).

I think his antics just came to a head this year because everyone was pissed and depressed about the direction of the team given the expectations. I don't see him being outspoken as a bad thing. I've been in locker rooms. There's always that one annoying guy that talks to much. That s*** gets ignored when everyone is happy and excited and the team is winning. It becomes annoying when other crap around the team is bad. He's like Ozzie in that way. Can he wear out his welcome? Sure. But I don't think we've reached that point yet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
And what has having Brandon Marshall got us? What did having Megatron get the Lions for all those seasons (and all the money they paid him). Even this year, you think they made the playoffs cause of Calvin (he missed a good chunk of the year and did fine)? And Megatron is a good dude and obviously elite, but bottom line there is a heck of a lot more to it than stats and a lot of the elite wideouts more often than not don't make the playoffs.

2 pro-bowl caliber seasons? 2 historically great, record breaking seasons on offense? 2 of the better WR seasons in the history of the franchise? An off-season of hope that they'd be one of the best offenses in the league?

Are you seriously arguing that because a WR doesn't single handedly give you wins he should be replaced with someone more average? That's a pretty silly way to look at it. I mean, if we want to be real here, the Bears shouldn't spend money on any position until they get a pro bowl QB. That's your best shot at winning anything, nothing else really matters.