2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
Plus if you are a GM, making your first coaching hire, unless Fox says something that would completely annoy you, it would be hard to go against the recommendation of your consultant (Ernie) and one of your closest professional contacts in Sean Payton. Let alone his general track record. The hire of Fox essentially guarantees that he'll have a chance to hire a 2nd coach. Obviously you want it to be the right coach but I think he is not only the right coach for the Bears but also the right choice for Pace in his career. No one is going to hammer him if he misses on Bowles when he went for Fox (I mean people will...but not to the extent that happened when we whiffed on the defending coach of the year for a CFL coach). It was that reckless decision that really was indicative of who Emery was (as he made a few other reckless decisions, imo) as a GM and why he wouldn't be successful.

The name of the game is clearing smarts and a little bit of luck but you also need to take calculated risks, not just any risk will do.

Fox is 60, it is not a long term solution but he is a guy that can hopefully put Humpty back together again. The OC is big here.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
Fox is 60, it is not a long term solution but he is a guy that can hopefully put Humpty back together again. The OC is big here.

I still think if Denver turns down Gase, Gase ends up coming with Fox. I don't know that the Niners will hire him and might instead go with Quinn.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)

Tom Coughlin took over as Giants head coach at the age of 60. Two titles later...

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
Tom Coughlin took over as Giants head coach at the age of 60. Two titles later...

If he's successful in the first 3 years I don't see why you couldn't expect him to coach well over 5 more years unless he doesn't want to. And of course, if he doesn't want to, then he shouldn't be taking the Bears job.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
I still think if Denver turns down Gase, Gase ends up coming with Fox. I don't know that the Niners will hire him and might instead go with Quinn.

I thought Gase was getting the job as that would be the only thing to entice Manning to come back.

If not, that whole staff would be fine by me.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
I thought Gase was getting the job as that would be the only thing to entice Manning to come back.

If not, that whole staff would be fine by me.

Elway will likely reach out to Kubiak (hasn't yet) and I'm sure he'll reach out to Shanny. I don't think Gase is a done deal. If he was, I think he'd already be hired.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
Thing about Fox is he has successfully built two winning coaching staffs. let to be said about that.

Perry Fewell could be the DC

Could be Dennis Allen or Jim Schwartz as well. Dream staff would be: Schwartz as DC, Shanahan as OC, and Keith Armstrong as ST Coordinator. Very wishful thinking.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
I think people underestimate how often talented teams get completely mishandled by coaches in the NFL. You don't luck into a playoff team. San Fran was a sleeping giant for forever, you couldn't understand how they were 6-10 under a coach.

Jake Delhomme went from good QB to one of the worst QBs in the world and the were stuck with him for a while.

Indianapolis did. :P

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:21 PM)
I am somewhat very shocked that Jets got Bowles. He seemed like a strong candidate, but OTOH, probably hard for a coordinator to play hardball for a shot at a dream job.

good move by Bowles but I dont think this is what the Jets had in mind after getting rid of Ryan. Would've thought they'd want to go the offensive route but that job is so toxic right now.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)
Could be Dennis Allen or Jim Schwartz as well. Dream staff would be: Schwartz as DC, Shanahan as OC, and Keith Armstrong as ST Coordinator. Very wishful thinking.

I want zero part of Schwartz. Undisciplined.

Hub Arkush has some weird negativity toward Fox. I don't want to discredit 2 superbowls, but NFL is also a what have you done for me lately league and his Washington days were very dysfunctional, so were latter Denver years.

His argument seems to be that Fox is being forced on Pace. I'd want to know if that's the truth, or if it's just a convenient media narrative to latch on to "Bears want to pair experienced coach with youthful GM".

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
Hub Arkush has some weird negativity toward Fox. I don't want to discredit 2 superbowls, but NFL is also a what have you done for me lately league and his Washington days were very dysfunctional, so were latter Denver years.

His argument seems to be that Fox is being forced on Pace. I'd want to know if that's the truth, or if it's just a convenient media narrative to latch on to "Bears want to pair experienced coach with youthful GM".

?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)

Hub Arkush not wanting John Fox is one of the reasons I really want them to hire him. Hub is a dope.