2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Did he make a comment about showtime? Or more something along player distractions.

He was asked if Marshall is a bear, would he allow him to do the show. His reply was (not verbatim) "I want my players to be focused on one thing, and that is winning a championship"

Actually here is the quote from Dan Weiderer

@danwiederer: Fox on Marshall: "Regardless of who it is, their focus and energy has to remain on what's going to help us win a championship."

Pace with similar comments re: Cutler - still evaluating, no decision on whether he'll be the starter.

edit: I'm glad the Bears have finally taken the key to the franchise away from Cutler. The last 4-5 years have been basically "whatever you want, Jay." Not anymore.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
Pace with similar comments re: Cutler - still evaluating, no decision on whether he'll be the starter.

edit: I'm glad the Bears have finally taken the key to the franchise away from Cutler. The last 4-5 years have been basically "whatever you want, Jay." Not anymore.

If he is on the team, he will be the starter, or it makes no sense. IMO, these comments basically mean they are trying to trade him, and won't cut him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
If he is on the team, he will be the starter, or it makes no sense. IMO, these comments basically mean they are trying to trade him, and won't cut him.

I agree, he will be unless they trade him. But at least they're talking the talk. They're not going to deal with his bulls*** like previous coaches, so if he sucks early he's going to be benched. At least that's my wishful thinking.

The Marshall stuff literally boggles my mind. The guy has done nothing but produce. Why on earth would you let that guy go, even if he was annoying in the locker room? Players can deal with it if he plays well.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
Fox was asked if there is a player to build around on defense. He said Kyle Fuller, he mentioned Jay Ratliff second.

That is interesting. Brad Biggs was on something a month or so ago, and said Ratliff was probably going to hit the road. He said he didn't play enough because of injuries. I guess he was wrong.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
That is interesting. Brad Biggs was on something a month or so ago, and said Ratliff was probably going to hit the road. He said he didn't play enough because of injuries. I guess he was wrong.

Even with not a full season, Ratliff had a tremendous season when he was healthy and playing.

Pace also mentioned that he sees a couple guys that could play NT in the 3-4 defense for the Bears. Have to think Ferguson and Paea and move Ratliff to DE right?

Fox was asked if there is a player to build around on defense. He said Kyle Fuller, he mentioned Jay Ratliff second.

He didnt mention Shea McClellin in there anywhere?! :o

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)

If you look into the comments, it is that they haven't committed to him and that they would be crazy to do so at this point. Basically they all admit the talent but say the process is more than that and they need time to fully evaluate and work through the issue. Below is a really good article summarizing the commentary from Fox. I think everything in this article is pretty articulate and I appreciate that Fox / Pace haven't made outrageous blanket statements. Ultimately I still expect Jay to be here but it would be stupid for them to instantly say Jay is our QB, blah blah blah. They barely know Jay and I think a huge component in this evaluation is how Jay behaves and acts, the intangibles, etc, and they have flat out said you can't go off of preconceived notions and what you have heard, you need to evaluate it for yourself.

My guess is they ultimately do a lot of this evaluation during the off-season and probably to a large extent during the season (although if the situation were to come up where they thought they could get a QB who fit their long term plans, they clearly would do it).

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...back-jay-cutler

Jay Ratliff is going to be 34 next season. Not sure it's good to build a defense around him.

NBC sports had one of those "trades that make too much sense" articles up and on it they listed the Bears and Chiefs swapping Tamba Hali and Brandon Marshall. As a Chiefs fan, even though Hali has been great and still has a few years left, I would love that trade. KC has depth at the rush LB position and obviously had issues at WR this past season. Curious what Bears fans would think about that.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
NBC sports had one of those "trades that make too much sense" articles up and on it they listed the Bears and Chiefs swapping Tamba Hali and Brandon Marshall. As a Chiefs fan, even though Hali has been great and still has a few years left, I would love that trade. KC has depth at the rush LB position and obviously had issues at WR this past season. Curious what Bears fans would think about that.

I would love that trade for the Bears too but I dont see KC doing it. You can pick up a good receiver in the draft to fit your needs for so much cheaper. And the Bears may end up just releasing Marshall anyways so a trade is unlikely to happen imo. Unless the Bears play a game of poker and keep BMarshall on the team past March 13th and that money escalates and then try to trade him with the thought they will surely be able to do so but that is rolling the dice. My bet is that they release him before the money becomes a greater hit.

Per The Score 670 Chicago - The Cutler contract contains an out we have not previously heard before. If the Bears cut Cutler by June (not the March 10 date previously reported), and another team signs Cutler for a contract worth at least $15 million (total, not per year), the Bears are off the hook on paying Cutler any more money, and he counts nothing against the cap.

According to The Score, the Bears are specifically leaking this - and Fox and Pace are being intentionally non-committal to Cutler - to rev up the trade market to try to get something for Cutler. The attraction of a trade being that a team would get him and avoid getting caught up in a bidding war for his services if he were cut and a free agent.

That means if Bears wanted to completely unload Cutler (basically cut him), it shouldn't be an issue as it would be astonishing if he didn't get a contract worth $15M (that would literally be impossible). I think it is much more likely than any of us previously thought that Cutler is moved sooner vs. later. I still think the ideal scenario has us getting a pick for him. Teams will be desperate and to be frank, we are selling Jay at his lowest value, but understand if the org wants to make a change. I just wish it was in a year where there were more attractive QB options available.