2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
That means if Bears wanted to completely unload Cutler (basically cut him), it shouldn't be an issue as it would be astonishing if he didn't get a contract worth $15M (that would literally be impossible). I think it is much more likely than any of us previously thought that Cutler is moved sooner vs. later. I still think the ideal scenario has us getting a pick for him. Teams will be desperate and to be frank, we are selling Jay at his lowest value, but understand if the org wants to make a change. I just wish it was in a year where there were more attractive QB options available.

On the flip side of this, are teams really going to think a $16 million cap hit (or something like that) is going to justify giving up anything for him? In reality, how much better are you with Jay Cutler at $16 mill versus Josh McCown at $4-6 mill plus the additional $10-12 mill you can add to the roster elsewhere while retaining whatever late draft pick you would have to send to the Bears?

I still don't think anybody would trade for him. I think, in that situation, you're gambling whether you work with him on the roster at $16 mill or you cut him and hope he signs elsewhere and doesn't screw the Bears over. He's made a ton of money in his career already. What's stopping him from signing with a team for 1 year and $8 mill and trying to recoup his value? It's not a move you see in football a lot, but Jay Cutler is in a situation where something like that actually makes sense.

All things considered, I think Jay is the QB in July.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
On the flip side of this, are teams really going to think a $16 million cap hit (or something like that) is going to justify giving up anything for him? In reality, how much better are you with Jay Cutler at $16 mill versus Josh McCown at $4-6 mill plus the additional $10-12 mill you can add to the roster elsewhere while retaining whatever late draft pick you would have to send to the Bears?

I still don't think anybody would trade for him. I think, in that situation, you're gambling whether you work with him on the roster at $16 mill or you cut him and hope he signs elsewhere and doesn't screw the Bears over. He's made a ton of money in his career already. What's stopping him from signing with a team for 1 year and $8 mill and trying to recoup his value? It's not a move you see in football a lot, but Jay Cutler is in a situation where something like that actually makes sense.

All things considered, I think Jay is the QB in July.

To answer your question...you can make the playoffs with Jay Cutler. You won't with Josh McCown. I can think of literally zero scenario where you make the playoffs with McCown over a full season. So if you are a team with good parts and a strong defense, the additional cost of Cutler is more than worth it, imo.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
When I see how devoid of talent this team is I start to wonder how I thought they'd be a playoff team last year.

The offense. The year before the offense was great and we thought they would take a step forward last year. With the additions on defense with Allen, Young, Houston and Fuller we thought they would at least be okay and outscore every one.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 06:01 PM)
The offense. The year before the offense was great and we thought they would take a step forward last year. With the additions on defense with Allen, Young, Houston and Fuller we thought they would at least be okay and outscore every one.

Hard to say that offense is "Devoid of talent".

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
When I see how devoid of talent this team is I start to wonder how I thought they'd be a playoff team last year.

A lot went wrong. Houston ended up being a bust (though I think the talent is there), Allen was old and sick, Tillman got hurt, Briggs showed up fat, and on the offensive side of the ball the OL was banged up which I believe was what limited the offense.

If Houston and Allen were the guys most hoped for, Tillman stayed healthy, Briggs gave a f***, and the OL didn't blow I think we're a playoff team. Oh, and if Tucker was canned like he shoulda been.

As for cutting Jay, I'm a big Jay backer, but after hearing about this new clause in his contract I'd be cool with it.....I'd probably go with Locker, Mallett, or even maybe even Ponder before I went with McCown. I still firmly believe he success was due to facing some horrendously bad defenses.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
Hard to say that offense is "Devoid of talent".

Pretty sure he was saying that the offense was the reason we thought they would be contenders, not that it was devoid of talent

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
http://philadelphia.suntimes.com/philadelp...ks-jets-mariota

If this is true it sucks the Bears didnt get a higher pick.

That's a hell of a long ways away and a lot would still have to go right. I'd hate to see the Jets benefit that much, but the Bucs WILL pick a QB, and the Titans could certainly use a QB too.

So there is rumors of a videotape of Dez Bryant that is out there, and it is 5X worse than the Ray Rice tape and being referred to as "possibly career ending". This is all TMZ-ish rumor, but i have heard a lot about it in the last two days. Supposedly it is the reason the Cowboys havent done anything with him contract-wise.

Cowherd has hinted at major major issues with Dez and why no one should offer him big money without protection. He won't specifically say anything but he's been saying it for the past year that their is massive amounts of smoke around him and if you just look at police visits to his house it is absurd in and of itself.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Lindsey Adler ‏@Lahlahlindsey 2h2 hours ago

Schefter says he’s been working on the Dez Bryant story since September "http://national.suntimes.com/nfl/7/72/702314/dez-bryant-video-confirmed …

ON ESPN Radio Chicago earlier today he refused to answer a question about whether it was criminal. On twitter some guy supposedly in the know says that it's a domestic incident with a young woman in a Walmart. The video is surveillance footage and the Cowboys and TMZ are in a bidding war to buy the tape.