2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players like Sam were always going to polarize in terms of draft projections since he really is a 3-4 LB. We drafted Cornelius Washington in the 6th last year and several mocks had him in the 2nd, most in the 3rd-4th.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)

I honestly think Herm was making a good-faith effort to discuss this, but he was clearly rattled by something--probably the fear of saying something inappropriate, whether intentional or not. I think he was trying to say that the only comparison we can make to this situation is to draftees who have character questions since they also cause teams worry for their effects on the locker room.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
I honestly think Herm was making a good-faith effort to discuss this, but he was clearly rattled by something--probably the fear of saying something inappropriate, whether intentional or not. I think he was trying to say that the only comparison we can make to this situation is to draftees who have character questions since they also cause teams worry for their effects on the locker room.

Of course he was rattled. They brought in a guy who most likely doesnt believe in the concept of being gay to discuss a football player coming out as gay.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)

I dont think he was coming in mean spirited or anything, but come on now, that interview was cringe-inducing. Nobody left that broadcast thinking "That was great!".

If you are going to have a polarizing subject interview, at least get someone who can articulate his thoughts better than what we saw.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
At least ESPN hasn't put Chris Broussard on yet. I was expecting to see that asshole on my tv all day today.

SOURCES SAY

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
Of course he was rattled. They brought in a guy who most likely doesnt believe in the concept of being gay to discuss a football player coming out as gay.

He's been a bit smoother today. There has been some good stuff from the NFL guys on ESPN today.

They're awkward about it, a bit apprehensive...but they're being honest. When Antonio Pierce says he would be a little shy at first, he's not being a hatemonger. He's just trying to get used to things and I think a lot of people will be like that. They haven't had openly gay friends or even acquaintances and the idea of being in close quarters with a gay person will challenge them.

They will have to learn why it is that it's ridiculous to think that being nude around a gay man is the worst thing in the world -- it makes a tiny bit of intuitive sense, but they'll have to hear people like Michael Sam say that "hey, I'm not a predator. I'm not in the locker room preying on you." People's insecurity will have to get checked before they can move on and I'm okay with that as long as they can continue doing things in good faith and recognize that this is a problem that is theirs, not his. I think the vast majority of people have been okay with the abstract idea of a gay football player but will now have to take it that extra step...this is different than the idea that I'm sure a minority have, which is having to accept Michael Sam before they've even come to terms with the idea of a gay football player.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
He's been a bit smoother today. There has been some good stuff from the NFL guys on ESPN today.

They're awkward about it, a bit apprehensive...but they're being honest. When Antonio Pierce says he would be a little shy at first, he's not being a hatemonger. He's just trying to get used to things and I think a lot of people will be like that. They haven't had openly gay friends or even acquaintances and the idea of being in close quarters with a gay person will challenge them.

They will have to learn why it is that it's ridiculous to think that being nude around a gay man is the worst thing in the world -- it makes a tiny bit of intuitive sense, but they'll have to hear people like Michael Sam say that "hey, I'm not a predator. I'm not in the locker room preying on you." People's insecurity will have to get checked before they can move on and I'm okay with that as long as they can continue doing things in good faith and recognize that this is a problem that is theirs, not his. I think the vast majority of people have been okay with the abstract idea of a gay football player but will now have to take it that extra step...this is different than the idea that I'm sure a minority have, which is having to accept Michael Sam before they've even come to terms with the idea of a gay football player.

It would have been a smarter move to bring in someone of this generation instead of an older, religiously far right coach. It was just a bad decision on their part to lead with that source IMO.

Our generation is much more tolerant than theirs and its becoming even more so with the youth today. I would have steered towards brining on younger guests first then using him as a dissenting view since we know he is not in favor of being gay.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
It's so weird being in the Multimedia Sports class at Mizzou and having this happen.

On the first day of class my professor said breaking news likely wouldn't happen, then this. Just crazy.

And you have a nice protest coming your way as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 08:40 PM)
A team won their division this year after their #2 receiver publicly dropped the N-word, but a locker room couldn't handle a gay player?

Alot of it will be the player comfort in the locker room. I've heard discussions about it and there is some worry. The worry is that it's like having a female in the locker room. A gay male will look at a man in sexual terms like a female would. How comfortable is someone changing and showering in that scenario. Some will be and some won't. It's currently the reason that reporteers aren't aloowed in locker rooms until a certain time.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 10:33 PM)
Alot of it will be the player comfort in the locker room. I've heard discussions about it and there is some worry. The worry is that it's like having a female in the locker room. A gay male will look at a man in sexual terms like a female would. How comfortable is someone changing and showering in that scenario. Some will be and some won't. It's currently the reason that reporteers aren't aloowed in locker rooms until a certain time.

I shower in a gym with total strangers, some of which may be gay, and I pay them to go there and have that privilege.

Edit: "them" being the gym, that read very peculiar I realized.

This always happens, the group having nothing taken from them except allowing another group equal status acts like they are being forced change.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
I shower in a gym with total strangers, some of which may be gay, and I pay them to go there and have that privilege.

Edit: "them" being the gym, that read very peculiar I realized.

This always happens, the group having nothing taken from them except allowing another group equal status acts like they are being forced change.

This is true but I think it's a little different when someone is there everyday and you know they are gay. I think it will be fine eventually but I can see someone being uncomfortable with it.

This is true but I think it's a little different when someone is there everyday and you know they are gay. I think it will be fine eventually but I can see someone being uncomfortable with it.

I would be fine with it, but then again, of all the guys in a locker room, I'm probably the least likely to excite a gay guy.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)

People generally are uncomfortable with change or the unknown. It's human nature.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
People generally are uncomfortable with change or the unknown. It's human nature.

Of course it is. Especially in a culture as tight as a locker room. It's not just conceptual though there is a physical presence in this as well. I am fascinated to hear about the locker room dynamics.