Wedding Bands

Texsox

We're shopping for new wedding bands and I am warming up to the idea of not getting gold, it seems so old fashioned. So what are you wearing? My previous ring was a tricolor gold woven pattern. So anything that remotely looks like that makes me puke. I've been searching some sites, bluenile.com etc. Where else should I look?

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
We're shopping for new wedding bands and I am warming up to the idea of not getting gold, it seems so old fashioned. So what are you wearing? My previous ring was a tricolor gold woven pattern. So anything that remotely looks like that makes me puke. I've been searching some sites, bluenile.com etc. Where else should I look?

I know it's different but this is the one I wear: http://kinektdesign.com/product-gear-ring.php

It's movable and it plays right into my OCD because I was always playing with the old one and lost it.

I was looking at some of the wood inlay designs last night. I like those. I also am thinking, since these are relatively cheap, to buy a three or four. Hell, I could buy 10 for what I am spending on hers. :lol:

I also saw ones that leave a little indention on your finger when you take them off. There are some really cool rings out there.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 02:49 AM)

Gold isn't old fashioned - it's a timeless classic, man. I'm inclined to think that some of the alternatives are a bit faddish.

I went with gold - simple and classic, no designs or patterns, substantial enough without being over-the-top chunky. I love it.

From the brief description you gave, it sounds like your previous ring had perhaps too much going on between the different colours and patterns for it to have longevity. As with most design classics, I think clear and simple usually holds its appeal better than overly designed.

So, regardless of if you go for gold or not, my advice would be to stick to one colour that you're happy with and keep it simple. Hope this is helpful.

(Obviously, all of the above is purely based on my opinion, for what it's worth, based on my own personal preferences. I don't want to run down anyone elses wedding ring preferences as such an investment is a deeply personal thing.)

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
A good friend of mine got a tungsten ring, was boasting of its unbreakableness, then dropped it onto their tile floor as we all watched it shatter. I don't know if he got jipped or what

Probably got a really low quality one, or one with a flaw during its forging process...shouldn't break very easily at all.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
Probably got a really low quality one, or one with a flaw during its forging process...shouldn't break very easily at all.

On the bright side, the jeweler replaced it free of charge. I'm still interested, I really like how they look and the idea that I can't accidentally break them

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
A good friend of mine got a tungsten ring, was boasting of its unbreakableness, then dropped it onto their tile floor as we all watched it shatter. I don't know if he got jipped or what

I had something similar happen to mine. I was washing my hands off with cold water in the utility room, walked out into the garage, shook my hands and my ring shot directly under the open hood of my car. It managed to catch on a stud somehow, so I was able to find it, but the one side of the ring had shattered (there's three bands on the top). The jeweler replaced it under warranty at least.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 04:34 AM)
Gold isn't old fashioned - it's a timeless classic, man. I'm inclined to think that some of the alternatives are a bit faddish.

I went with gold - simple and classic, no designs or patterns, substantial enough without being over-the-top chunky. I love it.

From the brief description you gave, it sounds like your previous ring had perhaps too much going on between the different colours and patterns for it to have longevity. As with most design classics, I think clear and simple usually holds its appeal better than overly designed.

So, regardless of if you go for gold or not, my advice would be to stick to one colour that you're happy with and keep it simple. Hope this is helpful.

(Obviously, all of the above is purely based on my opinion, for what it's worth, based on my own personal preferences. I don't want to run down anyone elses wedding ring preferences as such an investment is a deeply personal thing.)

I agree. I am actually in the market for a wedding band as well right now. The overwhelming trend in the last several years is platinum or silver or tungsten or white gold. Anything but yellow gold.

I actually think yellow gold will make a comeback eventually, but the one I am looking at is rose gold. It has sort of a copper color to it. Definitely more color to it than the white gold or platinum.

I'll post a picture of mine when I order it, which should be within the next few weeks.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
I have a white gold band and wear it 24/7/365. I only take it off to mess with it and itch my finger. I'm surprised some of you don't wear yours. Is that a work thing?

No, it's just having things on my hands...I already wear a watch, I don't need more crap on my hand. :)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
I have a white gold band and wear it 24/7/365. I only take it off to mess with it and itch my finger. I'm surprised some of you don't wear yours. Is that a work thing?

Yeah I just dont like the feeling of jewelry and I take it off to shower, workout etc so it just stays off 90 percent of the time.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)

Same as yourself. I only take mine off extremely rarely and extremely briefly.

I am laughing at my budget. I'm seeing rings for under $300 that seem really nice. I was thinking $750 to $1,000 for mine. I don't really like jewelry of any kind. I've never consistently worn a watch, the only ring I'll ever really wear is a wedding band.

It is also interesting to me some of the design guidelines we have for the rings. Must be camping and swimming compatible. My wife doesn't want a diamond solitaire, so we're looking at a channel design. Something low profile. She will probably not take it on our summer trips, so we may get matching bands as well. I pitched the dinosaur bone and meteorite design, that may be happening for me, NOT for her. :lol: