Sox breakout player for 2014?

southsider2k5

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
BTW anyone think that when we DFA Dunn it'll be on fireworks night? It might actually be worth hanging onto him for a few games just to do it that way. Sox fans in attendance will get the news immediately after the game & then as the news spreads and fans begin to rejoice the fireworks show will begin.

I understand the disappointment in Dunn but don't understand the hatred. He's not a team cancer, never a PED suspect, and overall seems like a pretty decent guy.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 10:02 PM)
Because you guys still aren't listening!

You know you love it.

Watch him sign here, it's gonna be awesome.

Ervin Santana is hot garbage in that he's garbage that can have a good year because he's basically a rollercoaster that would get annihilated in The Cell.

There is no discussion on those pitchers if there aren't any responses when those pitchers names are brought up. Just saying.

I think Eaton and Avi both break out for the Sox offensively. I have no idea what to expect from Abreu so I patiently wait. I think Davidson will hit well at Charlotte while waiting for a roster spot to open.

So a thread that is supposed to be about breakout players for the White Sox gets ruined because someone posted two words. I cannot wait until the season starts so we don't have to hear this s*** anymore.

In regards to what this thread is about, I'd say we'll see some good things from Davidson. I think he'll be the starting third baseman when the season starts, and he'll have a decent year, batting .260ish with 15+ HRs.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
I understand the disappointment in Dunn but don't understand the hatred. He's not a team cancer, never a PED suspect, and overall seems like a pretty decent guy.

Exactly. He also was our best offensive player last year, but don't bother trying to convince TUC of that. He's proving to be almost as big of a troll as Marty lately.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 06:46 AM)
Exactly. He also was our best offensive player last year, but don't bother trying to convince TUC of that. He's proving to be almost as big of a troll as Marty lately.

And to use his own phrase...haters gonna hate.

*Insert photo of a speedo-clad Batman pushing Bullwinkle in a baby stroller*

Breakout player should be Avisail Garcia. I had forgotten what a great year he had in 2013 at two AAA stops -- Toledo and Charlotte. That, plus he looked pretty solid in September makes me think he will be a star this year. Geez, he hit over .370 in AAA last year. This kid should be ready to take off.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
Breakout player should be Avisail Garcia. I had forgotten what a great year he had in 2013 at two AAA stops -- Toledo and Charlotte. That, plus he looked pretty solid in September makes me think he will be a star this year. Geez, he hit over .370 in AAA last year. This kid should be ready to take off.

DeAza plays LF and leads off. Hits .300, steals 30 bases , hits 25 HR and drives in 75 runs. Hahn then trades Viciedo mid-season for a young catcher.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
DeAza plays LF and leads off. Hits .300, steals 30 bases , hits 25 HR and drives in 75 runs. Hahn then trades Viciedo mid-season for a young catcher.

Viciedo's value will be 0 in this case.

You can keep De Aza as the fourth OF then trade Viciedo if he's mashing for someone like Yasmani Grandal and then play De Aza, but you may wish to hold on to Dayan in that instance.

Also, De Aza wouldn't leadoff at this point. That's Eaton's job to lose.

In this hypothetical...

Eaton - CF - L

Alexei - SS - R

Dunn - DH - L

Abreu - 1B - R

Garcia - RF - R

De Aza - LF - L

Grandal - C - S

3B - Davidson/Gillespie/Keppinger - R/L/R

2B - Gordon - R

While I'm all for keeping Dunn, people seem to overlook he was a negative WAR player last year. Part of the problem is that he sucked offensively when DHing and sucked defensively when playing 1B. I think last year may be a bit of an outlier, but even in 2012 he was clearly better hitter when playing 1B. There really isn't a great solution here as Abreu should be playing 1B most of the time. Honestly, the only reason I want to keep him is I think platooning him will increase his overall value and make him a positive value player in 2014.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
While I'm all for keeping Dunn, people seem to overlook he was a negative WAR player last year. Part of the problem is that he sucked offensively when DHing and sucked defensively when playing 1B. I think last year may be a bit of an outlier, but even in 2012 he was clearly better hitter when playing 1B. There really isn't a great solution here as Abreu should be playing 1B most of the time. Honestly, the only reason I want to keep him is I think platooning him will increase his overall value and make him a positive value player in 2014.

Wow good catch. In 2013 Dunn started 70 games at 1B and hit .262/.376/.512 and in the 74 games he DH'ed he hit .184/.269/.386. That's crazy. It's not just 2013, his career splits are nearly as dramatic. I know he's not a defensive wizard as 1B, but he when he plays in the field he turns into a legitimate hitter.

TAKE NOTICE NATIONAL LEAGUE TEAMS

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)
My predictions:

Avisail will end up looking like the best/most complete position player.

Abreu will look elite at times, end with decent numbers for a slugger, but overall will impress. The contract won't look out of sight.

Davidson will not break with the team, will K a lot when he gets here, and will end 2014 almost as much of an uncertainty as he is now. But still part of the picture.

Eaton will impress when he's on the field. He'll hit the DL at least once and will constantly battle little injuries.

Johnson will hit a wall mid-season but finish strong. Will look like a 3/4 in 2015.

Gillaspie if he gets playing time will continue to improve.

I think we might get some big things out of Viciedo this year.

Adam Dunn will continue to suck my ass.

Q will be awesome.

I think you hit the nail very much on the head.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
This is the scenario in which you trade De Aza. Sell high.

lol

If that actually happened it would make DeAza an elite offensive contributor to a ballclub especially when comparing what his defense in LF would be to the average LFer. So then you would want to keep him, not dump him off for players who would be unlikely to ever match that production.

But it's not happening with DeAza. He's still an underrated player though who can do a few different things on the field, and for that reason he needs to be the everyday starting LF with Viciedo the everyday starting DH and Dunn somewhere on the darkside of the moon where there are only 2 dimensions & his 1 dimensional game doesn't seem nearly as poor.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
Viciedo's value will be 0 in this case.

You can keep De Aza as the fourth OF then trade Viciedo if he's mashing for someone like Yasmani Grandal and then play De Aza, but you may wish to hold on to Dayan in that instance.

Also, De Aza wouldn't leadoff at this point. That's Eaton's job to lose.

Eaton is a young player and hopefully will have a great spring and take the CF/leadoff spot. But his play in Arizona is equivalent to a 4th outfielder. He hit .250, was not a good basesealer and showed limited range in CF for the 300+ games he played. Now some of that may have been injury related but he has a lot to prove before he is a regular.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
Eaton is a young player and hopefully will have a great spring and take the CF/leadoff spot. But his play in Arizona is equivalent to a 4th outfielder. He hit .250, was not a good basesealer and showed limited range in CF for the 300+ games he played. Now some of that may have been injury related but he has a lot to prove before he is a regular.

Let me rephrase this:

Having De Aza as a starter going into the year is stupid and against EVERYTHING THE WHITE SOX ARE DOING.

Exactly. He (Dunn) also was our best offensive player last year, but don't bother trying to convince TUC of that. He's proving to be almost as big of a troll as Marty lately.

Are you saying that by virtue of him being our best offensive player last year he should be kept on the 25-man roster? You have problems seeing the bigger picture.