Jim Fregosi has now passed away.

southsider2k5

Tracy Ringolsby ‏@TracyRingolsby 3m

(2) Taken off life support. Still alive. Miracles do happen. Let us pray.

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Tracy Ringolsby ‏@TracyRingolsby 13m

Jim Fregosi is still in a Miami hospital. He suffered multiple strokes. He has not died.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
Tracy Ringolsby ‏@TracyRingolsby 3m

(2) Taken off life support. Still alive. Miracles do happen. Let us pray.

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Tracy Ringolsby ‏@TracyRingolsby 13m

Jim Fregosi is still in a Miami hospital. He suffered multiple strokes. He has not died.

Okay, thanks for the update.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 07:07 AM)
His passing is the top headline on espn.com right now. Guess he was more popular than I thought.

Excellent manager and an even better person. One of the best people, especially as a manger, that I've ever met.

RIP

Edited by ptatc

I had the chance to meet Jim Fergosi when I was 11 at a car dealership promotion. It was right after Greg Walker’s seizure, who was one of my favorite players on the Sox at the time. We talked about that and he signed an autograph for me. I can’t recall the details of the conversation, but I do remember walking away thinking that Jim Fergosi was an awesome dude. I liked him ever since. RIP

QUOTE (Whitey @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 07:21 AM)
I had the chance to meet Jim Fergosi when I was 11 at a car dealership promotion. It was right after Greg Walker's seizure, who was one of my favorite players on the Sox at the time. We talked about that and he signed an autograph for me. I can't recall the details of the conversation, but I do remember walking away thinking that Jim Fergosi was an awesome dude. I liked him ever since. RIP

Since you spelled his name wrong, it reminds me when he was hired by the Sox, his jersey had FERGOSI.

Fregosi said, "My ex-wife and kids used to misspell it, too--except when it was time to go to the bank".

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 35m

White Sox statement on the passing of Jim Fregosi: "All of Jim's friends at the White Sox were stunned and saddened at the news of ...

his stroke and death today. Jim was your classic baseball lifer, with the experiences and stories to match a career devoted to the game.

He will be missed at the ballpark this spring and our thoughts go out to all of his friends and family."

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
Bummer.

71?! That's less than two decades away for me.

Only 7 years older than me. :huh:

I remember when he was a rookie with the Angels in 1961, came up when he was only 19 and was one of the best young players in baseball. I liked him when he managed the Sox. R I P

Hawk hired him, but Larry Himes inherited him, and those two rarely saw eye-to-eye. Seemingly very different personalities. Fregosi more the throwback, old school baseball type, while Himes was more of a suit-and-tie kind of a guy. But I liked Fregosi as a manager. I thought he did the best he could with what he had when he was with the Sox, which, from '86-88, wasn't a whole helluva lot, unfortunately.

Edited by Thad Bosley