2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
Is Rienzo staying in the Charlotte rotation? They will have Rienzo, Wang, Hanson, Johnson, Axelrod, Heath, and Doran. Am I missing something? I would imagine Sanchez will also go back to AAA and the Sox will call up a reliever? Who gets the call this time?

Don't forget about Leesman and Hill who are both hurt too. Heath has always been a spot-starter/long man and it appears Doran is pretty much the same. Maybe Johnson is going to get shut down.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
How Danish has recovered after his rough start with WS

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...lb&sid=milb

The highlight of the article for me...

Danish talked with Winston-Salem pitching coach J.R. Perdew and worked at trying to attack earlier in the count and be more aggressive. Those adjustments have paid off as Danish has given up just five runs in 19 2/3 innings in his last four starts, along with posting 15 strikeouts and walking only five.

"We came up with a game plan of -- get the guy out on three pitches or less," Danish said. "It was a huge thing. I feel better now. The coaches told me don't worry about the innings, just get better each time out, so it's about improvement. [That took] big-time pressure off of me."

Charleston RiverDogs co-owned by Mike Veeck have a couple of sweet promotions. Bill Veeck bobbleleg night (they were going to have it last year but didn't think appropriate after the Boston Marathon bombing) and Disco Demolition 2 blowing up Beiber and Miley Cyrus music. You bring in a CD or record, you get in for $1, and they blow them up after the game so no forfeit.

The Chicago White Sox have claimed right-handed pitcher Raul Fernandez off waivers from the Colorado Rockies and assigned him to Class A Winston-Salem.

Fernandez, 24, is 0-1 with a 7.00 ERA (21 ER/27.0 IP), seven saves and 20 strikeouts over 29 relief appearances this season with Class A Modesto in the Rockies organization. He has converted seven of his eight save opportunities.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Fernandez spent the entire 2013 season with Class A Asheville, appearing in a career-high 35 games in relief and converting 16 saves, the third-most in the Colorado system. His best season came in 2010 with the Dominican Summer League Rockies, going 4-3 with a 1.52 ERA (11 ER/65.0 IP) and 46 strikeouts over 12 games (11 starts).

Fernandez, a native of Boca Chica, Dominican Republic, spent the 2008 season as a catcher before being converted to a pitcher full-time in 2009. He was originally signed by Colorado as an international free agent on November 13, 2007.

Fernandez is 13-15 with a 4.85 ERA (141 ER/261.2 IP), 27 saves and 225 strikeouts in 145 games (25 starts) over six seasons (2008-14) in the Rockies system.

Following the waiver claim, the White Sox 40-man roster increases to 40.

Just saw that my guy Chris Bassitt is in a rehab assignment with the AZL Sox, striking out 5 in 2 innings last Saturday. The Hound ought to be in B'Ham again soon, and can hopefully be a consideration for BOR or the pen sometime next season with no more setbacks. Imagine he'll be in some fall or winter league.

Would like to see Lopez back soon as well. Can't be too much longer, I'd think.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
You are the reason catch - alls shouldn't exist.

Chill out, this thread is used for transactions all the time and that works. In this case maybe it's worth it's own thread, but no need to make it personal here.

Nathaniel Stoltz ‏@stoltz_baseball 2m

Impressive show from Hawkins in BP. Swing looks best I've seen. Jason Coats and Nick Basto also made some hard contact.

Courtney Hawkins just got under one and it cleared the concourse. Wow.

Keon Barnum launched one onto the concourse. Swing isn't bad, lacks premium bat speed though.

Keenyn Walker still has raw pop but his hands get in position too late. A bit better as a lefty.

Daddy likes. When Steverson came on, it seemed as though he was going to be taking on a more comprehensive role than just the majors. It may be showing as the season goes on and could also be a reason why so many hitters started out slowly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 40m

Courtney Hawkins & Jason Coats of @WSDashBaseball both in top 6 of Carolina League in SLG, OPS, HR and RBI.

It'll be fun to see both in AA next year along with May.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
It'll be fun to see both in AA next year along with May.

Given his age, I'd like to see Coats go up there now. Maybe when they inevitably give Mitchell his 4th shot at AAA and a slot opens up. May and Hawkins I'd like to see finish in A+.

JJ Stankevitz @JJStankevitz

#WhiteSox purchase contract of RHP Taylor Thompson and bring him up to the majors. Felipe Paulino moved to 60-day DL to make room on 40-man.

Retweeted by FutureSox.com

FutureSox.com @FutureSox

Taylor Thompson: 6'5" righty, FB 91-94 T95, SL, splitter. 26 yo, drafted 44th rd (1333rd overall) in 2009. Been nails since May this year.