2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Colleen Kane ‏@ChiTribKane 47m

More White Sox minors news: The Sox have requested waivers for the purpose of granting the unconditional release of LHP Charlie Leesman.

Good. He was nothing much.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
What'd you do to him NSS???

LOL, I wondered the same thing.

Last year, our interviews were the Midas touch, guys got promoted shortly after. Happened again with Dykstra this year, but apparently it worked in reverse on Beck.

Hopefully the guy I interviewed Friday won't be in trouble.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
Seth Lakso ‏@SethLakso 2h

Potential Sept. call up that’s not been talked about is LHP Scott Snodgress, who has not allowed a hit to a LHB in 14.1 IP w/ the Knights.

Prob because is not on the 40-man roster and does not need to be added next year.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
JPN is going to enjoy watching that Barons team next year. Hell, I might have to take a trip up there.

Montas, Danish, Anderson and probably others (May, Hawkins?) will be there in April. Some of them may be moving fast, so don't plan on July.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 06:57 PM)
If anyone noticed, it looks like RHP Storm Throne has been released. He is not on any White Sox minor league roster.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
Apparently he retired. He's still an all-name first ballot hall of famer.

This all went down months ago. He apparently was upset after a game early this season (he wasn't pitching well), and he just kinda Stormed off the premises saying he was done. Never came back. They kept him on the Restricted List for a while, but they may have eventually just released him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 10:21 PM)
This all went down months ago. He apparently was upset after a game early this season (he wasn't pitching well), and he just kinda Stormed off the premises saying he was done. Never came back. They kept him on the Restricted List for a while, but they may have eventually just released him.

So what you are saying is that Storm has Throne his last pitch with the Sox?

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who saw the reports... the Idaho Statesman reported the White Sox didn't renew with the Great Falls Voyagers. In reality, last year they extended through 2018. Some other channels picked up the wrong story as well. The Statesman has since corrected their story, after we pointed out the mistake.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
JPN is going to enjoy watching that Barons team next year. Hell, I might have to take a trip up there.

Nope. I hate the new stadium and I've only been there once. It's in a bad part of town that I grew up near and is too far away from where I live now. People have been shot and killed right outside of it. Birmingham annually makes the top 10 list of most dangerous cities in the United States.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Nope. I hate the new stadium and I've only been there once. It's in a bad part of town that I grew up near and is too far away from where I live now. People have been shot and killed right outside of it. Birmingham annually makes the top 10 list of most dangerous cities in the United States.

The new stadium has gotten universally very good reviews. Sounds like it's really just the neighborhood that is a problem? Too bad it ended up that way.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)

So maybe a day game would be preferable if I find myself down that way? :P

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
The new stadium has gotten universally very good reviews. Sounds like it's really just the neighborhood that is a problem? Too bad it ended up that way.

It's nice, it's just... stale and cookie cutter. It's an exact copy of Winston-Salem's and Charlotte's. There's a few "Birmingham" touches to it. They restored this sign and added it to the stadium.

There's a reason why the population of the suburbs North, South, East and West of Birmingham exploded over the past 25 years. At one point, I think in the mid 90's, the southern "over the mountain" suburbs of Birmingham were the fastest growing area of the United States. That's where I live, 20 miles south.

I know this is completely random, but I was watching Major League on Netflix tonight and I noticed something in the opening "historical" sequence... When the sequence is cutting through old newspaper headlines mocking the Indians, there is a picture of Buddy Bell falling over trying to catch a popup.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
For anyone who saw the reports... the Idaho Statesman reported the White Sox didn't renew with the Great Falls Voyagers. In reality, last year they extended through 2018. Some other channels picked up the wrong story as well. The Statesman has since corrected their story, after we pointed out the mistake.

This is getting weird. Baseball America now reported GF as 2014 expiration. And then so did MiLB in an article. Yet, MiLB themselves said in January that GF was extended through 2018. It's all pretty confusing.

I responded to BA and MiLB, and reached out to a Great Falls contact I have. No word back from any of them yet. KAN PR guy says he thought they were 2018 too.