2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
That's because he has that KW, football player mentality as well...especially coming from a perspect of a defensive backfield player...and defense in football thriving more on emotion and momentum than baseball.

I've heard KW called a lot of things but never an" unqualified whack job."

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
I've heard KW called a lot of things but never an" unqualified whack job."

Here's the thing.

The Astros played a LOT better and improved this season, compared to last year.

Outside of maybe Altuve, Carter and Springer, which Astro had the best season? Oh, yeah, that JD Martinez guy they released and who's had such a great season with the Tigers. (Someone's going to argue he wouldn't have played that well for Porter...well, that's sort of like arguing Adam Dunn wouldn't have hit a home run for Robin Ventura if he was the manager of the A's, only Bob Melvin could coax it out of his bat).

Luhnow can run but he can't hide.

Firing the manager simply brings more pressure to the GM the next time around...that maybe it's NOT the manager, but the GM responsible for the quality of play on the field.

from crayfishboxes.com

Meanwhile, Richard Justice (Houston Chronicle) has published a scoop so intriguingly thorough regarding the organization's take so soon after the story breaks that one has to assume Justice has inside sources confident in his ability to stay off the record and report fairly. Regardless of when and how he got this information, it contains some pretty interesting new information. According to Justice,

•Some unnamed players were weary of Porter's abilities as a manager from the very beginning.

•There was tension between Porter and Luhnow from Day 1, with Porter reportedly interrupting Luhnow on multiple occasions during a meet and greet with the players.

•Because of this tension, this was assumed to be inevitable, with Justice asserting Porter would have likely been gone during the offseason. The latest stories about unrest just sped things up.

•Justice had an interesting take on Luhnow's statement:

Luhnow said the team's won-loss record -- 110-190 under Porter -- was his responsibility, which is damning to Porter on several levels. In other words, he didn't dismiss Porter for losing too many baseball games. He dismissed him because he no longer respected Porter's leadership skills and his ability to be a team player in the organization.

•Some of Porter's managerial motivation tactics were deemed somewhat juvenile.

•The Great Appel Bullpen Hubbub may in fact have been the "breaking point" for Luhnow and Porter.

My latest take on this is that it says as much about Luhnow's approach to secrecy and management as anything else. From the beginning there was discussion about the tight informational ship being run by Luhnow. But then things started leaking, like a sieve. Then players who weren't afraid to make public criticisms started dropping like flies. Then it was reported that Bo and Luhnow were on the outs. Now Bo is gone. Justice gets a scoop that feels 'teed up', while other reporters, who have reported these leaks, are left to bitterly tweet. I went out to walk my insane woofer dogs, thinking about this latest news and it kept reminding me of somebody or something. It was a movie. A famous movie. Maybe a series of movies. Ah yes, that's it -- The Godfather.

So Luhnow isn't just the data nerd. He's the Michael Corleone of GMs.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
Bryan Hoch ‏@BryanHoch 56m

Joe Girardi: Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with arm fatigue by team doctor, scheduled to throw bullpen this week.

This can't be true. He has thrown many more pitches in games when he was in Japan. How can this be

The answer is he has benn throwing more often and maybe at a different intensity.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
2coq5hc.jpg

Holy shift! :o

The shift “worked” in the sense that the batter hit right into it. But the fielder threw the ball home and it was a little off course so they got the out at the plate but couldn’t get the runner at first.

A conventional 4-6-3 DP would’ve gotten them out of the inning.

The next batter drove in the winning run.

Seager and Corey Hart respond with back-to-back homers, A's just in an awful slump and closer now to the M's/Tigers/Royals and being out of the playoffs than the Angels, who they currently trail by 5.

Just goes to show when you're on top of the world (seemingly) like Beane and the A's were six or eight weeks ago, completing the Samardzija/Hammel trade, that things never go quite as predicted in baseball.

Never thought the M's (or the Royals, for that matter) had enough offense to make the playoffs, but here both are, on the cusp.

Seager and Corey Hart respond with back-to-back homers, A's just in an awful slump and closer now to the M's/Tigers/Royals and being out of the playoffs than the Angels, who they currently trail by 5.

Just goes to show when you're on top of the world (seemingly) like Beane and the A's were six or eight weeks ago, completing the Samardzija/Hammel trade, that things never go quite as predicted in baseball.

Never thought the M's (or the Royals, for that matter) had enough offense to make the playoffs, but here both are, on the cusp.

Wasn't watching Beane's A's. Was playing with my cat, who has also won zero American League pennants.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
Wasn't watching Beane's A's. Was playing with my cat, who has also won zero American League pennants.

I fell asleep, woke up, and it was already over...listening to despondent A's radio guys.

Started at 335 a.m. here. Wanted to stay up and listen but couldn't stay awake.

Dodgers had 2 lead and blew it, Werth dropped a simple ball and almost gave the game back to the Dodgers...who didn't score with Gonzalez and Uribe up, bases loaded and two chances to walk off.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
The 3B was still at his normal spot. One of the OF was with the 2B, SS, and 1B on the right side.

re the 4 man shift ..... that was unbelievable, why not lay down a bunt to the right side or as

greg said slap hit it

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
Ron Washington resigns as manager of the Rangers for "personal reasons" not related to team performance.

I wonder if this has to do with his cocaine issues stemming back a few years.... I hope he comes out of it 100%. He seems like a really likable person :(

That was my first thought, as it is every time "personal reasons" (or "exhaustion") is used to explain something in reference to a recovering addict.