Who is Your Favorite Sox Player Playing for Other Team?

greg775

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
Thornton for Borchard has to be one of the greatest trades in Sox history.

Valentin and Eldred for Jaime Navarro and John Snyder to me is one of the greatest trades of all time. Not only did someone take Navaro, they gave up 2 guys that helped the team win a division the next season.

I'm 28. Living in Western (Rochester), NY having grown up around Yankee television and fans and never having access to White Sox games (no WGN on my cable provider growing up) I didn't get to really follow Sox teams outside of collecting their baseball cards and reading box scores. I didn't even really follow or watch any sports until playing fantasy football my sophomore year of high school and realized it was a nice way to make conversation with other dudes. Then, when 2005 happened and it was apparent in April they were off to a nice start, and having my interest peaked following my Freshman year of college and seeing my entire floor in the dorms going nuts for the Boston/NY ALCS, I realized how much I loved baseball and started to at least read daily game recaps. After the All-Star break 2005, I was actively searching out opportunities to watch the Sox when on National TV, and then followed the playoff run. Pierzynski was my first favorite for the dropped third strike call and going into 2006 I didn't look back.

Got mlb.TV for the 06 season and watched at least 2-3 games a week, taking even more to AJ and Freddy Garcia became my favorite pitcher, particularly for his Halfway to St. Patrick's Day start in September when I still believed we were going back to the playoffs. Also loved Thome, but he kinda "plays for us now."

2007, ouch. Buehrle shot up the list with his no-hitter in April, which I watched completely live. This season was bad baseball but I fed into the prospect hype and was excited to watch Danny Richar and Josh Fields in my first US Cellular Field visit since seriously following baseball, wearing my Reebok clubhouse Sox shoes I had bought. Still loved to be there and to get to see Bobby Jenks close it out in extras; but again he hasn't signed anywhere has he? Eventually bought a Darin Erstad jersey shirt off ebay in 2009 for under 10 bucks to support my love of learning to enjoy bad baseball too.

2008. Every game, every night. Pre-season I wanted to buy into Swisher and bought a Dirty 30 shirt from his personal website. Ugh, #regrets. This was the year of TCQ (The Carlos Quentin). Unfortunately was at the game in Cleveland third row behind the Sox dugout as he punched his bat and ended his season in the 9th inning against Cliff Lee's 20th or 21st win complete game shut out. That f***ing sucked. And I blame me and my friend chanting MVP for getting him so amped that he punched the bat. Really loved Quentin.

Since then, still catch 3-5-all games a week via MLB.tv Love me some Sox, but of course my return to The Cell since 2007 came last season in July in an even worse season (who woulda thunk it!).

tl:dr, Top Sox on Other Teams:

1. Carlos Quentin

2. Buehrle and Pierzynski

4. Uribe (forgot to mention him, got to see him rehab in Rochester in 07 ir 08 and have followed him on the Dodgers since they are my brother's team).

5. Freddy Garcia, sweaty Freddy, loved to talk him up to Yankees fans the seasons he was there just doing work and getting by.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 2, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
I had a Damaso Marte jersey back in the day.

Good for you. I was a big fan of his until that game in Boston. I almost got kicked out of an Arizona country club for drunkenly cursing his performance so much, it is hard to forgive him, despite what El Duque did.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 2, 2014 -> 11:11 PM)
Good for you. I was a big fan of his until that game in Boston. I almost got kicked out of an Arizona country club for drunkenly cursing his performance so much, it is hard to forgive him, despite what El Duque did.

I had no memory of Marte even being responsible for the bases being loaded. Only had the memory of El Duque's masterful work. But I am glad Marte screwed up, because without it happening we wouldn't have that memory of that El Duque saving our asses.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
I'm watching Buehrle on Mlb pitch against the Rays. Wow it is a good calm feeling to see him pitch. They showed his stats for 2013, not so good. Regardless, I wish him the best.

He wasn't bad last year. Not good or great, but he was an OK pitcher.

He's said he wants to pitch for the Sox again, so I'm expecting him to be the 5th starter 3 years from now.