2014 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
You are wrong about Dix Evan, I'm telling you. Pryor is who we should have took if we wanted a safety. It will be okay.

Maybe I am. I went back-and-forth all off-season on which Safety I preferred. But whatever the case, one of them should have been taken there. Immediate impact starter at our weakest position. I'm scared at the idea of Conte and Mundy being our starters next year.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jake @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:14 PM)
IMO, you can't say don't draft a G in the first round out of principle, but then say it's a bad idea to pick a CB when there are great S on the board

And in the next paragraph he said we should have taken David DeCastro, a guard, in the previous years first round.

I do agree that we should have taken DeCastro there though. I thought he was a great value, but I think he tore his acl his rookie season. We would have still had some issues.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:14 PM)
IMO, you can't say don't draft a G in the first round out of principle, but then say it's a bad idea to pick a CB when there are great S on the board

Why? Safety is probably the 2nd most important position on defense these days, behind DL. On the other hand: in order of importance of building a winning football team, Guard would be towards the bottom of the list.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:20 PM)
And in the next paragraph he said we should have taken David DeCastro, a guard, in the previous years first round.

I do agree that we should have taken DeCastro there though. I thought he was a great value, but I think he tore his acl his rookie season. We would have still had some issues.

Ha, touche. I was very contradicting, wasn't I? Just a little heated over here.

I just thought Long was a very risky pick at 20th overall considering the learning curve he was supposed to have. Whereas DeCastro wasn't even projected to be around at our pick and would have been a good value. Also, you never know with the ACL tear. It happened during a game, so it's very possible he would have been fine with us.

Anyway... not that any of that matters now. I still think we could have gotten a good, contributing 3rd CB tomorrow night if we had taken a S tonight. And we all would have been happy.

Edited by dasox24

I really dislike it as well, but trying to rationalize a bit Having 3 good CBs out there, in this league, would be nice though. Esp. with the new DEs they brought in. I believe Houston and Young were both near the top of the league in hurries/hits last year, and Jared Allen is Jared Allen. You let those guys pin their ears back and rush the passer with good coverage behind them and all of a sudden a lot of those hurries/hits turn into sacks.

Given what was on the board I def would have gone S, but I suppose Emery wasn't lying when he was talking about how he'd like to be talking extension with Conte next year and that he'd be competing for a job. I thought that meant that he wouldn't go S really early, and I may have been right on that.

Right now with Hageman/Tuitt/Jernigan and even Nix still out there not "reaching" for one of those guys may turn out to be solid. It'll be interesting to see what they do if one or 2 of those guys are there as well as the 2 FSU guys Brooks/Joyner, who I think might have day 1 starting ability, who they take.

I probably couldn't pass on one of those DLmen. I still like Ed Reynolds, Brock Vereen, a little intrigued by Huff, and really intrigued, maybe not so much from a talent perspective, about the possibility of converting a guy like SJB, Antone Exum, Keith Mcgill, or Jaylen Watkins in the 3rd.

I'll keep it short. I really like the pick. Fuller looks really really solid on tape. Fuller is really versatile, covered WR and TE (covered Ebron actually) in college. Jennings/Peanut are in their 30s. Pryor more of a box-type safety, Louis Delmas type. We shored up our Run D, should make our safeties better.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 8, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
Don't be surprised if he moves to safety: “I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a safety,” a second scout said. “He’s just a really good football player from the standpoint he knows what he’s seeing. There were a couple games he played the Will linebacker spot against the option teams. He’s just a smart football player, and he’s got the talent, too. I’m not going to say he can’t play corner in the NFL, but I think he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl-caliber safety, whereas he doesn’t have the elite speed outside, that might hurt him at times out there (at cornerback).”

From: http://www.packersnews.com/article/2014043...;nclick_check=1

This is the most intriguing post I've read. Perhaps that scout was a Bears scout and this is the plan.

Edit...Speaking of intriguing, I have no clue why the Chiefs would wanna do this or if there's any legitimacy behind it but supposedly Eric Berry could be had for a 2R pick(and then some probably).

http://sportsmockery.com/messageboard/post...at-a-good-price

After a quick google search it does seem like there may be some legs to it, but I don't see any of the big sites reporting it.....Cap wise I'm not sure how the Bears would do it though. I'd absolutely love for it to be true and the Bears are the team that makes it happen...

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:15 PM)
I really dislike it as well, but trying to rationalize a bit Having 3 good CBs out there, in this league, would be nice though. Esp. with the new DEs they brought in. I believe Houston and Young were both near the top of the league in hurries/hits last year, and Jared Allen is Jared Allen. You let those guys pin their ears back and rush the passer with good coverage behind them and all of a sudden a lot of those hurries/hits turn into sacks.

Given what was on the board I def would have gone S, but I suppose Emery wasn't lying when he was talking about how he'd like to be talking extension with Conte next year and that he'd be competing for a job. I thought that meant that he wouldn't go S really early, and I may have been right on that.

Right now with Hageman/Tuitt/Jernigan and even Nix still out there not "reaching" for one of those guys may turn out to be solid. It'll be interesting to see what they do if one or 2 of those guys are there as well as the 2 FSU guys Brooks/Joyner, who I think might have day 1 starting ability, who they take.

I probably couldn't pass on one of those DLmen. I still like Ed Reynolds, Brock Vereen, a little intrigued by Huff, and really intrigued, maybe not so much from a talent perspective, about the possibility of converting a guy like SJB, Antone Exum, Keith Mcgill, or Jaylen Watkins in the 3rd.

I know you had to feel sick when Donald was one pick away from (likely) being a Bear and St. Louis stole him away.

I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 of those DT went pretty quickly. I'd love if one of them fell, but I could also see Emery pulling an Alshon Jeffery-move and trading up a few spots if one of them gets close enough to 51.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:39 PM)
This is the most intriguing post I've read. Perhaps that scout was a Bears scout and this is the plan.

Edit...Speaking of intriguing, I have no clue why the Chiefs would wanna do this or if there's any legitimacy behind it but supposedly Eric Berry could be had for a 2R pick(and then some probably).

http://sportsmockery.com/messageboard/post...at-a-good-price

After a quick google search it does seem like there may be some legs to it, but I don't see any of the big sites reporting it.....Cap wise I'm not sure how the Bears would do it though. I'd absolutely love for it to be true and the Bears are the team that makes it happen...

Yes. From a talent standpoint, there's absolutely no question. EB is awesome. Not sure how it would work under the cap, but surely they could find a way to make it work to pick up someone of his caliber.

That said... I don't see the Chiefs actually trading him. Wouldn't be a very smart move to move a 25 year old, 3-time Pro Bowl Safety.

The Vikings got a steal...

That was the ONE team I didn't want him going to. Man these other teams are stupid. Manziel won't be better than Teddy. Bortles might be a little bit better but not at the cost of pick 3 vs pick 32.

I'll keep it short. I really like the pick. Fuller looks really really solid on tape. Fuller is really versatile, covered WR and TE (covered Ebron actually) in college. Jennings/Peanut are in their 30s. Pryor more of a box-type safety, Louis Delmas type. We shored up our Run D, should make our safeties better.

I like the pick too. Even as bad as the Bears need defense, I wouldn't have minded Martin. I think he was a steal at that spot. Going to be a very good G for a long time.

He may not have been what we expected, but Fuller wasn't a reach. He was projected to the Bears by a few mock drafts and generally projected to be picked around that spot. it isn't like we were blindsided by a big reach, like the previous two years. A replacement for Peanut is a good idea.

I wanted safety as well, and I am bummed that the big safeties(Pryor, Ward, Bucannon, Dix) got picked, hopefully they find a good one with one of the next few picks

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:03 PM)
Sort of... I love Long. He's the man. But I like to point out that we still took a Guard in the 1st round. That's generally a poor idea. We could have taken Larry Warford in the 2nd and he would have had a similar impact. And let's be honest, Emery lucked out. We took a guy who started 4 games in college and wasn't considered NFL-ready. Nobody saw the type of year he had coming.

Or if you want to go way back: if Emery had taken David DeCastro like he should have in 2012 instead of McClellin, then OG wouldn't have been a need at all last year, and we could have filled a different need with that 1st pick.

I'll say it: I'm not sold on Emery. His free agent moves have been good. His drafting makes me scratch my head more often than not. Jeffery was a fantastic pick but anybody with football knowledge could have made that pick. I was screaming for us to trade up and get him when he started falling. Otherwise, everybody has been a reach.

Lucky if he hits I guess. What about also getting a starting right tackle later in the draft? It was a good draft.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:22 PM)
Why? Safety is probably the 2nd most important position on defense these days, behind DL. On the other hand: in order of importance of building a winning football team, Guard would be towards the bottom of the list.

What position do the highest paid defensive players play?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 8, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)
We'll see. He's more athletic for sure but I'm not sold on him making NFL throws at all.

NFL Network was showing highlights of some of his passes into coverage. I kept thinking that an NFL CB would either nock those down or pick it off.

I don't hate the Bears pick, but I'm really not that happy. I'm not sure he was the best defensive player available at that spot. I'm not even sure he was the best DB, let alone the best corner.

I really get the feeling that Emery suffers a bit from Jerry Krause syndrome, and needs to prove himself to be the "smartest guy in the room." So far, he has hit on only two picks, and whiffed badly on most of his others, especially on D. Kyle Long was a reach, but a great one. I just hope a successful reach like that doesn't inspire more McClellins, Bostics, Greenes and Hardins, and that Fuller doesn't join that sorry group. We'll see.

I don't hate the Bears pick, but I'm really not that happy. I'm not sure he was the best defensive player available at that spot. I'm not even sure he was the best DB, let alone the best corner.

I really get the feeling that Emery suffers a bit from Jerry Krause syndrome, and needs to prove himself to be the "smartest guy in the room." So far, he has hit on only two picks, and whiffed badly on most of his others, especially on D. Kyle Long was a reach, but a great one. I just hope a successful reach like that doesn't inspire more McClellins, Bostics, Greenes and Hardins, and that Fuller doesn't join that sorry group. We'll see.

He was the highest-rated DB on Mayock's board at the time of the pick.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 9, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
He was the highest-rated DB on Mayock's board at the time of the pick.

Not a fan of Mayock. That doesn't do too much for me, but I acknowledge there are people smarter than me who seem to really like the pick.