2014 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 9, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
Not a fan of Mayock. That doesn't do too much for me, but I acknowledge there are people smarter than me who seem to really like the pick.

Well it's simply not a reach. And I'm also not calling Bostic a bust at this point.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ May 9, 2014 -> 07:01 AM)
Also I love the anyone with football knowledge would have made that pick line. Then why was he there? Couldn't SF have used him?

No clue why he was there. He never should have been. Huge mistake by NFL front offices. I always thought he was very close to AJ Green/Julio Jones level. He got a little out of shape for the beginning of his Junior year at SC and people freaked. It never bothered me. As soon as he got to the 2nd round, I was immediately wanting us to do whatever it took to grab him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2014 -> 06:42 AM)
Lucky if he hits I guess. What about also getting a starting right tackle later in the draft? It was a good draft.

I'm not saying it wasn't a good draft. But I think it could have been an even better draft. Think people lost sight of what I was saying. I said that I love Long and that he's the man. But even so, we could have gone a different route that would have ended up with us having a better draft.

That's how I feel about this. Earlier I posted that I actually like Fuller a good bit. I just didn't see him as the best fit at #14, especially with the deep CB class.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 9, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Any chance Nix will be there for the Bears in Round 2?

I think so. There is still some really good DL left. With the run on defensive back last night, a lot of other positions kind of went untouched.

Lot of good TE left.

So, seems we have a trend:

Shea - "Football Player" who could play with his hand on the ground or as a rushing OLB

Kyle Long - G for now but could play T later

Kyle Fuller - "Football Player" who can play nickel now and S later

Personally I'd rather grab people who have specialized at a position. I'm not thrilled with Fuller, I'd rather have traded down if available. I really wanted Donald and unfortunately the worst city in the world struck again.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
Well it's simply not a reach. And I'm also not calling Bostic a bust at this point.

Bostic doesn't need to be a bust to make it a not so great pick (at this point). They needed and had a right to expect more from him than he delivered.

And I'm not saying Fuller was really a "reach" (at least how I define it), which was my first strong reaction to both McCllellin and Long. I think he's a legitimate first rounder and solidly in the top 25. I just suspect there were a few better, safer options for the Bears at 14, Pryor and Dennard specifically.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 9, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
So, seems we have a trend:

Shea - "Football Player" who could play with his hand on the ground or as a rushing OLB

Kyle Long - G for now but could play T later

Kyle Fuller - "Football Player" who can play nickel now and S later

Personally I'd rather grab people who have specialized at a position. I'm not thrilled with Fuller, I'd rather have traded down if available. I really wanted Donald and unfortunately the worst city in the world struck again.

I havent heard that much, not nearly as much as "will replace Peanut"

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 9, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
I'm not saying it wasn't a good draft. But I think it could have been an even better draft. Think people lost sight of what I was saying. I said that I love Long and that he's the man. But even so, we could have gone a different route that would have ended up with us having a better draft.

That's how I feel about this. Earlier I posted that I actually like Fuller a good bit. I just didn't see him as the best fit at #14, especially with the deep CB class.

Shoring up two starting spots in the OL made the draft awesome.

Second, CB's are more valuable than safeties so you take them all day if you can get them.

Per Manziel/Bridgewater -

I have no doubt that Manziel is going to be a good pro. I find it highly dubious that the 2 QBs who actually threw it into tight windows successfully against high competition (Bridgewater/Manziel) had questions on whether they could make the NFL throws while players like Bortles could. I didn't see a single contested throw in Bortles highlight reel.

Manziel is comfortable under pass rush and delivered every ball he needed to. I'll take that dude every time over the guy that "looks" like an NFL QB.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 9, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
I havent heard that much, not nearly as much as "will replace Peanut"

You are referring to Bears plans, I'm referring to scouting reports.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 9, 2014 -> 02:16 AM)
Don't be surprised if he moves to safety: “I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a safety,” a second scout said. “He’s just a really good football player from the standpoint he knows what he’s seeing. There were a couple games he played the Will linebacker spot against the option teams. He’s just a smart football player, and he’s got the talent, too. I’m not going to say he can’t play corner in the NFL, but I think he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl-caliber safety, whereas he doesn’t have the elite speed outside, that might hurt him at times out there (at cornerback).”

From: http://www.packersnews.com/article/2014043...;nclick_check=1

QUOTE (bmags @ May 9, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
The ones from pages ago in this thread that said he could play safety.

every single one I saw last night and this morning call him an off-man corner in the NFL.

Oh, unnamed scouts in the packers draft article. I thought you were referring to actual scouting reports.

Edited by RockRaines

From Fuller:

"“Coming in, I like feel they know I can play corner or nickel; possibility of safety, whatever it is. I’m a versatile player," Fuller said. "I know they’ll put me in the best situation for myself and the team.""

I'm not crazy, this was talked about a lot last night.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 9, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
From Fuller:

"“Coming in, I like feel they know I can play corner or nickel; possibility of safety, whatever it is. I’m a versatile player," Fuller said. "I know they’ll put me in the best situation for myself and the team.""

I'm not crazy, this was talked about a lot last night.

So now you are referring to the Bears plans and not scouts? Overwhelmingly scouts reports are that he is going to be a starting corner in the NFL. Any talk of safety is because the Bears have a need there and people assume they would move him to a hole. Safeties are much easier to find than starting corners and I think they will find one.

If anyone wonders why the NFL wants to make the draft 5 or 6 days long. Look at the TV rating below.

@Ourand_SBJ 1h

Overnights:

ESPN NFL Draft: 6.8

ESPN2 Blazers-Spurs 2.7

ESPN2 Heat-Nets: 2.6

NFL Net NFL Draft: 1.9

NBCSN Bos-Montreal 1.2

NBCSN Ana-LA: 0.7

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 9, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
If anyone wonders why the NFL wants to make the draft 5 or 6 days long. Look at the TV rating below.

@Ourand_SBJ 1h

Overnights:

ESPN2 Blazers-Spurs 2.7

NBCSN Bos-Montreal 1.2

Who are these people who watch Chris Berman and Mel Kiper? I'd rather chug acid.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 9, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)

@Ourand_SBJ 1h

Overnights:

ESPN2 Blazers-Spurs 2.7

NBCSN Bos-Montreal 1.2

The Sox clinching the BP Malaysia Airlines Cup on Wednesday was a big factor. Had it been up for grabs on Thursday night, that would have had a major effect on the ratings.

@Ourand_SBJ 1h

Overnights:

ESPN2 Blazers-Spurs 2.7

NBCSN Bos-Montreal 1.2

This tells me that 78% of people watching the NFL draft are idiots for unnecessarily subjecting themselves to Chris Berman.