2014 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 8, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)
Sort of... I love Long. He's the man. But I like to point out that we still took a Guard in the 1st round. That's generally a poor idea. We could have taken Larry Warford in the 2nd and he would have had a similar impact. And let's be honest, Emery lucked out. We took a guy who started 4 games in college and wasn't considered NFL-ready. Nobody saw the type of year he had coming.

Or if you want to go way back: if Emery had taken David DeCastro like he should have in 2012 instead of McClellin, then OG wouldn't have been a need at all last year, and we could have filled a different need with that 1st pick.

I'll say it: I'm not sold on Emery. His free agent moves have been good. His drafting makes me scratch my head more often than not. Jeffery was a fantastic pick but anybody with football knowledge could have made that pick. I was screaming for us to trade up and get him when he started falling. Otherwise, everybody has been a reach.

This I agree with. Emery has been good in free agency but he has had some very bad draft picks. That first draft was absolutely awful. Thank goodness he got Jeffrey but that was a no brainer. However, last years draft had some nice picks, although as everyone knows I am not sold on Bostic / Greene, but you got to like Mills / Long.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 9, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
This tells me that 78% of people watching the NFL draft are idiots for unnecessarily subjecting themselves to Chris Berman.

That was us. I clamored for NFL Network but people didn't want to have to listen to Mariucci. He's bad but Gruden's crying for Manziel was worse than even Berman. And Ray Lewis was just spitting nonsense all day.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
So now you are referring to the Bears plans and not scouts? Overwhelmingly scouts reports are that he is going to be a starting corner in the NFL. Any talk of safety is because the Bears have a need there and people assume they would move him to a hole. Safeties are much easier to find than starting corners and I think they will find one.

okay.

Despite clear indications that he is a versatile player I will concede that he is not at all a versatile player.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 9, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
What is the knock on Hageman, motor? Because the guy is a giant, isnt he?

I can't believe so many DTs and DEs fell. Certainly has not been case past few drafts.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
That was us. I clamored for NFL Network but people didn't want to have to listen to Mariucci. He's bad but Gruden's crying for Manziel was worse than even Berman. And Ray Lewis was just spitting nonsense all day.

Ray Lewis is the NFL version of the Ultimate Warrior when he talks.

WTF did he just say? I dont know, but it was intense. I think he talked about the sun bleeding.

Fuller was the right pick. He's the best CB in the draft. You just don't take a safety if Fuller is your highest rated defensive player on the board. Great pick. I looked back in the thread and find it hilarious that many were not happy with the pick. Those people obviously have not watched Fuller play. If they had, they'd be totally on board. Kid is a stud.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 8, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)
Every time you lost more scouts have claimed he is top corner. Id take Gilbert ten times and twice on Sunday before Fuller.

Not a chance in hell. Gilbert doesn't tackle and is not physical. My CB's have to be able to tackle.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 8, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
f*** you, Emery. 3rd straight year you've done this. What the f*** are you doing?

And with that, all of the Safeties are gone. We're stuck with what we have. Conte and Mundy starting at Safety. Yikes. What a joke. Hope he's f***ing happy.

I like Fuller. But not at 14. And not when the top two Safeties in the draft are still on the board. Further, this is a very deep CB class. Could have gotten a "contributor" in the 2nd-3rd round. In the 1st, you have to take an immediate starter. Not a guy you "expect to contribute." That Emery quote just pisses me off. It's like when he talked about McClellin being a guy who could contribute on special teams. f*** that. You need to take immediate impact guys in the 1st round (unless it's a QB).

Then the Packers take our man Clinton-Dix and laugh in our faces. He'll end up picking off Cutler and we're all going to hurt because he could have been ours. I can just see him making some big play to beat the Bears and send the Packers to the playoffs. They beat us on the field and in the off-season every year. I'm getting sick of it.

FULLER IS A STARTER! HE WILL PLAY NICKEL IN YEAR 1 AND BE A FIXTURE AT CB AFTER THAT. Lots of stupid going on in this thread.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
What is the knock on Hageman, motor? Because the guy is a giant, isnt he?

Motor and lack of production. His measurables are off the charts though. 6'6" 310 pounds, long 34 inch arms which make his 32 reps at the combine that much more impressive. He was near the top 5 in just about every category at the combine.

In the 1R I wouldn't have been that big a fan of the pick, but in the 2nd I'd be all over him. Tuitt would be nice as well

I'm hoping for

Situation A

2R- Hageman/Tuitt

3R- Joyner/Brooks/Vereen/Reynolds/McGill/SJB

or

Situation B

2R- Joyner/Brooks

3R- Ried/Quarles/Sutton/Jones

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
Yes. Nix and Jernigan would be good options as well.

I would be thrilled with one of those 3. Of course, last time I was thrilled with a Bears' top pick was Carimi. This is why my input is rightly confined to message boards.

Man people are going to be really mad tonight when Emery takes a DT and a RB. I can't wait. If the choice is between Florida State FS Terrence Brooks and one of the DT's that fell, I'd take the DT any day of the week. Emery supposedly really likes Wyoming S Marqueston Huff as well the chance to convert a CB to safety later on. (Phillip Gaines of Rice, Keith McGill of Utah, and Walt Aikens of Liberty) are all candidates for this. Dream scenario for me is Arizona State DT Will Sutton at #51.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
Motor and lack of production. His measurables are off the charts though. 6'6" 310 pounds, long 34 inch arms which make his 32 reps at the combine that much more impressive. He was near the top 5 in just about every category at the combine.

In the 1R I wouldn't have been that big a fan of the pick, but in the 2nd I'd be all over him. Tuitt would be nice as well

I'm hoping for

Situation A

2R- Hageman/Tuitt

3R- Joyner/Brooks/Vereen/Reynolds/McGill/SJB

or

Situation B

2R- Joyner/Brooks

3R- Ried/Quarles/Sutton/Jones

I really think that there's a chance they go RB or TE tonight. I'd be totally fine with DT in round 2 and Wyoming S Marqueston Huff in rd 3 though.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
This tells me that 78% of people watching the NFL draft are idiots for unnecessarily subjecting themselves to Chris Berman.

Or more people have ESPN than NFL Network.

Not everyone gets NFL Network I believe. Most cable providers require you to get the 200 channel package to get it.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
I would be thrilled with one of those 3. Of course, last time I was thrilled with a Bears' top pick was Carimi. This is why my input is rightly confined to message boards.

Not even "experts" are experts. Nobody knows what will happen with any of these players. The #1 pick has some of the biggest question marks in the entire draft.

Both broadcasts were awful last night. I couldn't stand more than 5 minutes of either. The completely manufactured Jerry Jones will he/won't stuff was such nonsense. Dude just handed out 100 million to Romo, there was zero chance he was taking Manziel.

But, that's typical ESPN. Create story, beat story to death, get ratings.