Sox Eyeing Yankees' Catchers?

winninguglyin83

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
New York post says the White Sox are scouting Yankees' back-up catchers -- Cervelli, Romine and Murphy.

Speculates that the Yankees could have interest in Beckham or Keppinger.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/25/yanks-can-use...ss-other-needs/

I have a Francisco Cervelli bobblehead on my desk next to this monitor, lol.

I'd give up Keppinger for one of those in a heartbeat. Even Beckham might have more value than those guys at the moment, though.

Not surprising, though the Yankees would know that Keppinger is hurting. I think he's basically untradeable at this point. That means it would really have to be Beckham or Gillaspie, likely Beckham.

So which one of the 4 catchers they mention are worth it for Beckham? Which one(s) is(are) better than Flowers/Phegley, really?

The best option has to be Murphy. FanGraphs ranked him the No. 2 prospect in the Yankees system and he is the youngest (at 22). By far, the most potential and a legit starting catching prospect.

The Scouting Report: Murphy is the organization’s best all-around catcher and a lot of organizations would love to have him. He has a solid line-drive swing and produces gap power but he’ll likely top out around 10 home runs in the Majors with regular playing time. Defensively, he’s improved by leaps and bounds since being drafted and has a chance to be an average receiver with an above-average ability to control the running game.

I am not sure Beckham alone could get the deal done. But both teams dealing from a position of strength.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
The best option has to be Murphy. FanGraphs ranked him the No. 2 prospect in the Yankees system and he is the youngest (at 22). By far, the most potential and a legit starting catching prospect.

I am not sure Beckham alone could get the deal done. But both teams dealing from a position of strength.

I am somewhat skeptical of Murphy, as his defense has never been said to be very good. Though it supposedly has improved. Just remember, that's what we heard about Phegley too. And this is a guy who has no role with the team right now.

That said, the Sox do have some intriguing relief arms that the Yankees may want. I'd have to think a package of Beckham and Petricka would probably get it done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
I think with the Yankees the odds are that we'd have to wait for a mid-season deal (unless they already know that Jeter or someone like that is hurt). They have enough mediocre IF's right now that they ought to be able to wait for one of them to get hurt.

Something will shake out with their catchers by the time the season starts assuming no one gets hurt. They have to unload at least one of them.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
They're not looking to deal Sanchez. He will be the everyday catcher once McCann gets moved to 1B/DH, probably in 2017 when Texeira's contract expires.

He's likely to start the season in AA ball and they won't have a place for him on the big league roster for 3 seasons? That actually does sound like a guy a team would trade.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)

We would all love to dump Keppinger but personally, I'd deal Beckham straight up for JR Murphy. Sox could then just play Keppinger at 2B for the time being with Semien taking over at some point soon. I don't think Gordon will be able to hold off Sanchez, Johnson, and Semien for much longer anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
He's likely to start the season in AA ball and they won't have a place for him on the big league roster for 3 seasons? That actually does sound like a guy a team would trade.

It says right in the article they view him as the catcher of the future. They wouldn't have shelled out the money for McCann if they thought Sanchez was close. He just turned 21 years old.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
We would all love to dump Keppinger but personally, I'd deal Beckham straight up for JR Murphy. Sox could then just play Keppinger at 2B for the time being with Semien taking over at some point soon. I don't think Gordon will be able to hold off Sanchez, Johnson, and Semien for much longer anyway.

If Keppinger is enough to get Murphy you do it. I don't think it will take Beckham to get him as the Yankees really don't have a spot for Murphy. Plus if Beckham were to be traded, I think Semien takes over 2B immediately.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
If Keppinger is enough to get Murphy you do it. I don't think it will take Beckham to get him as the Yankees really don't have a spot for Murphy. Plus if Beckham were to be traded, I think Semien takes over 2B immediately.

I really don't know why the Sox would want to rush Semien.

I realize spring training has just started, but has there been any word about Nieto? I've heard that Flowers has the upper hand over Phegley right now, but who could be the "back up"? If the Sox are scouting the Yankees' catchers, that tells me that they're not sold on any of the guys they currently have. Question is, are any of the Yankees' catchers that much better?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 02:23 AM)
Wouldn't mind J.R. at all. Just 22, has improved his defense year after year (the same as Davidson has improved his) and he had one of the higher pitch count rates for a catcher in the minors (decent walk rate, doesn't strikeout too much either and surprised a few people with his power surge). He fits the sox mold as being a guy who is young, cost controlled, and borderline MLB ready (he already got a taste of PAs this past season) He might benefit from a half year in AAA, but he's nearly ready. He won't be a star, but the sox don't need him to be with the "potential" of the other guys they have. Some of the guys mentioned before him haven't even seen (or seen enough) AA/AAA pitching, yet alone sniff the bigs so how can you know they won't flame out? Would like the move quite a bit.

What I said about Murphy back when he was discussed in December in the "Hahn's next move" thread.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
I realize spring training has just started, but has there been any word about Nieto? I've heard that Flowers has the upper hand over Phegley right now, but who could be the "back up"? If the Sox are scouting the Yankees' catchers, that tells me that they're not sold on any of the guys they currently have. Question is, are any of the Yankees' catchers that much better?

Of course they aren't sold. They saw the games last year. Nieto hasn't played above A ball. If he is anywhere near ready, the Nationals really blew it by exposing him to the Rule 5 and not trading him. I am sure nothing has happened this spring to change for better or for worse the opinion the Sox have about their current catching situation. They are aware they need an upgrade.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
I agree. If you have to pay Keppinger anyway, why not use him to buy some time? Unless Semien just shreds ST, it makes sense to start him in AAA.

I'm OK with Marcus starting at AAA, even if he is hot. We have enough other guys who can be filler material. A guy like Garcia would be perfect. He has no ceiling anyway, so it isn't like you are going to ruin him.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)

It would surprise me if that happened. As it stands now, the Sox would likely carry only 11 pitchers into OD. The positional roster needs to be at least reduced by one in order to protect the pitching staff from wearing down as the season progresses

If the Sox can get rid of Kepp, with Phegley in the process, its a no brainer

QUOTE (Nunnigan @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
It would surprise me if that happened. As it stands now, the Sox would likely carry only 11 pitchers into OD. The positional roster needs to be at least reduced by one in order to protect the pitching staff from wearing down as the season progresses

If the Sox can get rid of Kepp, with Phegley in the process, its a no brainer

Yeah, as it stands, Gillaspie will need to be exposed to waivers unless the Sox are planning to DFA Keppinger if they can't move him.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
I would be interested in Murphy, but not so much Romine or Cervelli. Honestly though, if the Yankees are interested in Keppinger and are willing to pay his salary, they can have him for whatever they're willing to send in return.

This.