Sox Eyeing Yankees' Catchers?

winninguglyin83

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
It would really be selling low on Beckham (who showed some improvement with the bat) to trade him for one of these backup catchers, none of whom is a top prospect.

Keppinger? Fine.

It would also hurt our D a lot for Keppinger to play 2B.

I think Murphy is better than any catcher in the Sox org. The Sox have potentially 3 guys that could replace Beckham in the next 1-2 years. Keppinger playing 2B for now would be fine because the Sox are going to be bad this year. The only way to deal Keppinger is by allowing him to play vs LHP, hoping that he hits, and then dealing him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
That last thing Gary Sanchez needs to do is sacrifice an ounce of anything to gain some pop. I would read any weight gain on his part as a big negative until he demonstrates otherwise.

He's another hacker with whose defensive improvements have "impressed" Yankees scouts. Maybe it's real, maybe not, but he seems like he's got a ton of the flaws that we already have in abundance on this team.

He's had 110 plate appearances at the AA level. That is not a guy the Sox should even be considering unless it's at the deadline and he's been having a good year.

Unless something comes up in the next 3-4 weeks, I'd rather just have Phlowglieto take the spot.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
I think Murphy is better than any catcher in the Sox org. The Sox have potentially 3 guys that could replace Beckham in the next 1-2 years. Keppinger playing 2B for now would be fine because the Sox are going to be bad this year. The only way to deal Keppinger is by allowing him to play vs LHP, hoping that he hits, and then dealing him.

I just don't think organizational depth is a reason to sell low.

That was the rationale to give Quentin to the Padres, for example.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)

Um, no it wasn't, the rationale was that he was 1 year away from free agency and was hurt all the ****ing time so there was virtually no chance the Sox would even think about extending him. Considering that he has played 1/2 a season each year with the Padres and is being very well paid to do so, I'd still say that was the right move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
Um, no it wasn't, the rationale was that he was 1 year away from free agency and was hurt all the ****ing time so there was virtually no chance the Sox would even think about extending him. Considering that he has played 1/2 a season each year with the Padres and is being very well paid to do so, I'd still say that was the right move.

Plus, wasn't Viciedo coming up around that time? If so, It was his time to be given a shot.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)

I agree with this. I don't think obtaining a 22 year old that can be seen as a starting catcher with 6 years of control for Gordon Beckham is necessarily selling low.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Plus, wasn't Viciedo coming up around that time? If so, It was his time to be given a shot.

Yes, although you could make a decent case for giving him more time in the minors at that point as well. He'd had one really good 1/2 of baseball at AAA but spent that whole season dealing with a hand injury due to a HBP in spring training, and it was IIRC his first real stint in the OF as well. The reason to give Viciedo the shot was that the team was clearly cutting spending after the 2011 debacle and that meant moving contracts of guys who were expensive, tradeable, and not under team control for very long.

If any or all of Beckham, Gillaspie, Keppinger can get us JP Murphy, I'd be down for that.

I wouldn't start Semien at 2B if that position ends up vacated, though. Needs more AAA time. If he has his K rate down and BB rate back up in AAA in May, that's his time to shine

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
He's had 110 plate appearances at the AA level. That is not a guy the Sox should even be considering unless it's at the deadline and he's been having a good year.

Unless something comes up in the next 3-4 weeks, I'd rather just have Phlowglieto take the spot.

Oh I wasn't assuming he'd even sniff the Majors this year. But the Sox don't exactly need to get a 2014 Major Leaguer in return for a member of their glut of bad second basemen

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
It would really be selling low on Beckham (who showed some improvement with the bat) to trade him for one of these backup catchers, none of whom is a top prospect.

Keppinger? Fine.

It would also hurt our D a lot for Keppinger to play 2B.

Selling low on Beckham? Do you still think this is just a four season-long slump? The improvement was 103 games of 88 wRC+.

Also, if he was recently showed improvement, wouldn't it be selling high?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Selling low on Beckham? Do you still think this is just a four season-long slump? The improvement was 103 games of 88 wRC+.

Also, if he was recently showed improvement, wouldn't it be selling high?

This is a make or break season for him. No reason to run him out of town yet. Chris Davis had similar struggles with Texas and Baltimore, starting coming on at the end of his age 26 season before busting out last season. Not that I think he will be Davis, just that a breakout age 27 season is not unheard of. I am not giving up Beckham for something that does not significantly improve the roster, and a backup C isn't going to do that.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
This is a make or break season for him. No reason to run him out of town yet. Chris Davis had similar struggles with Texas and Baltimore, starting coming on at the end of his age 26 season before busting out last season. Not that I think he will be Davis, just that a breakout age 27 season is not unheard of. I am not giving up Beckham for something that does not significantly improve the roster, and a backup C isn't going to do that.

I feel better about Beckham's season knowing that he hit really well before he got hurt, and that he was hurt a lot longer than was publicly stated. I'm probably being irrational when I feel some optimism for him, but the guy has had to grow up at the major league level. His curve might just be longer than others.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
Don't want PED users on this team. Keep Cervelli as far away as possible.

I didn't think Pablo Ozuna was such a bad guy. It would also mean getting rid of Flowers, but I don't think many would mind that.

I just don't care for Cervelli because he's not that good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
I didn't think Pablo Ozuna was such a bad guy. It would also mean getting rid of Flowers, but I don't think many would mind that.

Not that good is better than what we had last year though. I would take Cervelli as a stop gap and long term backup while I work to find a long term starting solution. Perhaps its Phegley, perhaps you have to make a deal, but the most important aspect of a White Sox C should be the ability to handle a pitching staff and frame pitches well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)

He apparently started juicing after his White Sox days. And Flowers isn't on PEDs

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
He apparently started juicing after his White Sox days. And Flowers isn't on PEDs

So Flowers was but isn't, and Cervelli was and is? Evidence of this?

Also remember, Nieto had a PED suspension.

Phegley I suppose you can assume is clean, given that with his medical issues, messing with his blood chemistry could be suicidal.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
So Flowers was but isn't, and Cervelli was and is? Evidence of this?

Also remember, Nieto had a PED suspension.

Phegley I suppose you can assume is clean, given that with his medical issues, messing with his blood chemistry could be suicidal.

Phegley is an exception, and to be honest I had never heard of Flowers being on PEDs before five minutes ago. It's actually true. Forget the Flowers part- I still don't want Cervelli.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 06:03 PM)
There was a time when folks were drooling all over themselves for Jesus Montero, a Yankee catching prospect. Now they mention some minor league guy and want to dump Gordon Beckham for an unproven prospect. Amazing

Frankly, if Gordon Beckham could be dumped for someone who was an "actual prospect" of any talent, I wouldn't complain at all about them being unproven, because as of now Beckham's been proven to be mediocre and a non-tender candidate.