Trade for Nomar that never happened

joeynach

I just got finished watching the ESPN 30 for 30 called "The Deal", highlighting the Rangers desire to trade Arod after the 2003 season and frenzy between the Red Sox and Yankees that ensued to acquire him. Really fascinating program, many details not previously known about the Red Sox deal that was in place that hinged on union approval. Obviously this was rejected, and Arod was later traded the Yankees, but during the program Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer were speaking how it all came together.

At the end of the 2003 season they were having difficulty agreeing to terms with Nomar on a contract extension, his original deal signed in 1997 was set to expire after the 2004 season. In order to make the Arod deal work with the Rangers the Red Sox needed to shed payroll and move Nomar as to open up SS for Arod. Both said in early December 2003 as a prelude to making their for Arod they had a deal in place to send Nomar to the White Sox for Magglio and Brandon McCarthy. The Nomar for Magglio swap was almost the same contract structure, both free agents after 2004, Magglio set to make $14M and Nomar $11.5, so the White Sox were actually taking on salary in the deal.

The deal for the Red Sox would have then essentially been Manny and Nomar for Magglio, Arod, BMac. As we all know it fell apart when the union rejected the reduced salary Arod and Red Sox agreed to and placed into the contract. But for me this brings up an interesting memory for the 2004 White Sox. I do recall the Sox struggling to come to terms with Maggs on a contract extension around this time and into the 04 season, as a result I do remember some trade rumors swirling. However, if they deal would have gone down the White Sox would have been left with no RF and a jam at SS with both Jose Valentin and Nomar, and with Crede at 3B and Big Frank at DH there was literally no where for Valientin. Does anyone remember the specifics around this deal for the White Sox? What was the plan for Valentin had the trade gone through? What was to become of RF for the White Sox for the 04 season?

Also, interestingly enough, if the White Sox had made this deal, McCarthy isn't around to contribute to the 2005 team in which he started 10 games and posted a 4.03 ERA, even more important then McCarthy isn't around to be traded for John Danks in 2007. Perhaps that deal never takes place, and perhaps the White Sox don't win the division in 2008 without Danks 195IP at 3.32 ERA. Crazy game this baseball is, crazy.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
Both said in early December 2003 as a prelude to making their for Arod they had a deal in place to send Nomar to the White Sox for Magglio and Brandon McCarthy.

That would have been a stupid deal on paper and in reality. I remember the rumors of it and I didn't like it one bit then and cringe when I think about it now. I know Maggs ended up getting hurt, leaving and all. But it was still stupid.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 12:43 AM)
That would have been a stupid deal on paper and in reality. I remember the rumors of it and I didn't like it one bit then and cringe when I think about it now. I know Maggs ended up getting hurt, leaving and all. But it was still stupid.

Not as stupid as what the Yankees did for Arod.

The Sox had an agreement lined up with Juan Gonzalez to play RF had the Magglio trade gone through. That's a guy that I don't think even Herm Schneider could have kept healthy due to the ravages that steroids took on his body. He was signed by KC, barely played, and was only moderately effective. I then recall seeing his one and only AB in 2005 against Minnesota. He hit a weak ground ball and was immediately in pain, as, if I recall correctly, his hamstring tore itself clean off the bone.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
The Sox had an agreement lined up with Juan Gonzalez to play RF had the Magglio trade gone through. That's a guy that I don't think even Herm Schneider could have kept healthy due to the ravages that steroids took on his body. He was signed by KC, barely played, and was only moderately effective. I then recall seeing his one and only AB in 2005 against Minnesota. He hit a weak ground ball and was immediately in pain, as, if I recall correctly, his hamstring tore itself clean off the bone.

Wow, I dont remember the Juan Gonzalez part of the deal, but he was one of the most obvious juicers. Any dude who gets massive and then has this muscle tears off the bone injuries is so obviously a steroid injury it's not even a question. I remember feeling the same way when Nomar tore his groin of the bone and Ortiz tore his wrist tendon of his bone.