3/4 ST vs. Indians

Dunt

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
This early they may not want to load up pitchers yet.

Oh no, definitely agree with them to call it after 9. There's no point. The games mean nothing and there's no point trying to stretch anybody this early.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
Oh no, definitely agree with them to call it after 9. There's no point. The games mean nothing and there's no point trying to stretch anybody this early.

And vs. a division opponent nonetheless.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
I don't know why we're wasting time with Heath. I guess you have to pitch someone.

There's something they see in him, or something he's shown before. He's pitched well in the minors and exhibits fairly good velocity (92.5 or so average with the fastball), but his control has been mediocre in the past and when it was good last year in AAA, his K/9 plummeted.

He's your typical 1 in 100 kind of guy - 99% of the time, these guys never figure it out and they act as organizational depth, but if something clicks just right, he could come up and be a guy that turns into a valuable pitcher. That includes

-locating his fastball well

-getting more movement on his fastball

-refining his slider

-adding a show-me changeup (or other offspeed pitch, like Hector's screwball)

-honing his control

-maintaining a good strikeout rate

The odds of all these breakthroughs without a true breakthrough in overall pitching talent - meaning he adds bend to his slider or 2 MPH to his fastball - are very small, or about 1 in 100, but you can never rule it out.