High School basketball thread

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
A Whitney Young-Stevenson state semifinal would be nasty. A shame those teams can't meet up in a final. The other half of the bracket is nowhere near as good.

Not as good but solid. Marian Catholic would be cool to see down there.

O'Mara has been great but Benet as a team has been a letdown yet could face Ulis in semis.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)
I'm all about another Brunson-Ulis matchup in the final after we beat Whitney in the semi's. :P

St Rita could beat Young Friday. I'd love to see a 4A Final Four without a Public League team. Crowds would rock.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
St Rita could beat Young Friday. I'd love to see a 4A Final Four without a Public League team. Crowds would rock.

Just looking up some scores from this past weekend cause I was very out of the loop, surprised to see that LF got beat.

I was at a triple OT game where Morton beat York 77-74 tonight. Amazing game. Morton was up 16 after 3, but York came back. Then at the end of OT York hit 2 free throws with 3.4 seconds left, then Morton got fouled at the buzzer and a kid made 2 free throws with no time left. In the third OT Morton was up 7 and York still came back to get a tying shot off at the buzzer, but it was well short. That's what single elimination playoff basketball is all about.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
I think it is far from guaranteed that Young beats Simeon tonight.

Of course, but Simeon barely beat Lane Tech and Stagg while Young is killing people.

I love the fans crying that they're playing in sectionals and not down state. The schools are 10 miles apart and folks think ihsa should separate them in different regions just cuz?

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
Of course, but Simeon barely beat Lane Tech and Stagg while Young is killing people.

I love the fans crying that they're playing in sectionals and not down state. The schools are 10 miles apart and folks think ihsa should separate them in different regions just cuz?

This Simeon team seems to play to their opponents level a lot. They played a couple of really entertaining against Curie this year and beat some great teams. They did have way too many close games against inferior opponents though.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
And Simeon up 6 at half. I'll shut up

DJ Williams was awesome for Simeon yesterday. And man do I wish Morrow was taller because I love his motor and he can play but at 6'5/6'6 he just doesn't have the skill set to be a great player at a high major. Okafor was ultimately just too big for Simeon yesterday and when Morrow got in foul trouble they were screwed.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
DJ Williams was awesome for Simeon yesterday. And man do I wish Morrow was taller because I love his motor and he can play but at 6'5/6'6 he just doesn't have the skill set to be a great player at a high major. Okafor was ultimately just too big for Simeon yesterday and when Morrow got in foul trouble they were screwed.

Morrow is so underrated. Can't believe more schools aren't on him yet. He'll be unstoppable next year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Morrow is so underrated. Can't believe more schools aren't on him yet. He'll be unstoppable next year.

Illinois is showing some interest, unfortunately we just don't have a need for him. If we didn't have Black coming next year then he would be a good fit, but we need a true 5 instead.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 07:21 AM)
Morton is very underrated. Heard that Perez kid is legit.

Yeah, I really like his game. He's 6-7 so a bit small for a 4, which he plays in high school. He's an elite rebounder. Seen him dominate the glass against taller kids, including other DI prospects. He's added a jumper so he is getting close to being able to play the 3. He needs to get better at ballhandling to play a college 3, but he knows that and is working on it. Also a really smart kid, I think top five in his class.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 07:21 AM)
Morton is very underrated. Heard that Perez kid is legit.

And they blow a 20 point lead tonight to get knocked out.

One game away from Stevenson-WH if both can take care of business Tuesday.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
And they blow a 20 point lead tonight to get knocked out.

One game away from Stevenson-WH if both can take care of business Tuesday.

They both should easily.