Big 12 Tournament.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
Thirteen years ago, but okay. I guess Iowa's never been upset by a team ten seeds or more lower than them.

That doesn't count. Steve Alford was the coach.

I was just messing with you.

Iowa State has done a great job revitalizing that program, and they're bringing in more overall talent than Iowa and somehow making all those transfers and JC players blend together in a manner a bit reminiscent of the old Cincy and UNLV programs.

But nobody quite remembers 3 seeds losing like they do the 2's in history.

The sad thing is Iowa has only won one NCAA tourney game (against Creighton) since 2000. That from a team that perennially made the tourney and usually lost in the 2nd round under Tom Davis (and Lute Olson), I think they had made it something like 16 or 17 times in 23 years but this year would be their first bid since 2005-2006.

Anything's better than the disappointment of the Alfraud and Lickliter years, though.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 10:07 PM)
There's absolutely no reason that both teams can't be consistent tourney teams. Both have excellent coaches.

Iowa fans are blaming all the close losses the last two years, and the inability to finish out games about 90% on McCaffrey.

Fair or not.

I think part of it's talent, obviously. And they have managed to win 3-4 road games in the Big 10 this year, which they failed to do last year (at Illinois, at NW, at Ohio State, at Penn State).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
Iowa fans are blaming all the close losses the last two years, and the inability to finish out games about 90% on McCaffrey.

Fair or not.

I think part of it's talent, obviously. And they have managed to win 3-4 road games in the Big 10 this year, which they failed to do last year (at Illinois, at NW, at Ohio State, at Penn State).

I'd never let Aaron White off the court if I was Fran.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
I'd never let Aaron White off the court if I was Fran.

They finally went to an 8 main rotation when Basabe was out, with Olaseni, Uthoff, Oglesby and McCabe getting minutes but backing off trying to also incorporate Jok and Clemmons as well.

That's been a big criticism....using too many players and "line rotations" like a hockey team does, rather than putting the emphasis on White/Marble and Gesell to a lesser extent winning games at the end.

Marble and Gesell in particular have both been spotty with their FT shooting.

Next year, the top six would be White, Gesell, Uthoff, Olaseni/Woodbury and Oglesby.

They haven't exactly lit the recruiting trail on fire, considering they had a very high scoring/exciting/dynamic/fun to watch team and Top 10-25 ranking for almost the entire season, so you'd expect better than a couple of 2-3 star recruits.

In the 80's and 90's, Iowa and Iowa State used to get their fair share of McDonald's All-Americans or at least Top 50-100 talent (other than Recker/Reggie Evans/Brunner/Haluska/Horner, Alford lost roughly 50% of his recruits).

Ironically, Woodbury's probably the highest rated recruit and has been one of the bigger disappointments...along with Basabe looking like the best freshman in the Big 10 and regressing his sophomore and junior seasons.

Edited by caulfield12

Adam Woodbury sucks.

It'd be nice if both schools didn't let the top talent leave the state. Marcus Paige, Harrison Barnes and the like.

But back to the Big 12 tournament....I would imagine we'll see a Kansas/OU finals.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
Adam Woodbury sucks. It'd be nice if both schools didn't let the top talent leave the state. Marcus Paige, Harrison Barnes and the like. But back to the Big 12 tournament....I would imagine we'll see a Kansas/OU finals.

Not to mention Hinrich, Collison, LaFrentz, Jason Bohannon, McDermott...

Seems it's always Roy Williams winning those recruiting battles.

As far as the Sooners go, Kruger is one of the most underrated coaches over the last 20-25 years of college basketball, but they don't have the horses.

Oklahoma State for now is looking like the most dangerous team...other than KU, of course.

Edited by caulfield12

Iowa State with a big OT win over Oklahoma State in Ames to finish 11-7 in conference.

Baylor won at K-State...which helps the Bears and puts KSU in a bit of danger.

Looks like Tennessee and Missouri could be playing an elimination game, with UT all over Missouri in Knoxville.

Cuonzo Martin on the hot seat to get fired without an NCAA tourney appearance, and even possible with one.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
Looks like Tennessee and Missouri could be playing an elimination game, with UT all over Missouri in Knoxville.

Cuonzo Martin on the hot seat to get fired without an NCAA tourney appearance, and even possible with one.

I know he had that good season at Missouri St but that hire was just a hot name at the time. Tennessee could've done better.

Sagarin odds to win the tournament, and I have no clue how.

(1) Kansas 31.9%

(4) ISU 17.3%

(8) OSU 14.6%

(2) Oklahoma 11.9%

(7) Baylor 9.2%

(3) Texas 5.7%

(6) WVU 5.2%

(5) KSU 3.9%

And Embiid is now questionable for the tournament.

Let's see if ISU's bigs are more effective down low without Embiid. Clones are top 10 in the country in 2P%, so Ellis and Black will have more to do. ISU's got to actually hit their threes for once, and hopefully ISU can keep Perry Ellis and his receding hairline from doing too much damage.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
Let's see if ISU's bigs are more effective down low without Embiid. Clones are top 10 in the country in 2P%, so Ellis and Black will have more to do. ISU's got to actually hit their threes for once, and hopefully ISU can keep Perry Ellis and his receding hairline from doing too much damage.

Can't wait to watch this game

s*** there is so much good Bball on tonight

Edited by RockRaines