3/7 ST vs. CIN

Dunt

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
When do we start worrying about Paulino?

Which brings the question... who is the back-fill if needed, in the short run? Candidates seem to be Rienzo, Surkamp, Leesman and Axelrod, in more or less that order.

Longer term you have guys like Beck and a host of possible others, so that is less of a concern right now. But for Opening Day, none of those guys seem great. Rienzo and Surkamp only make me somewhat nervous, the other too are panic-inducing.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
I hate to say it, but it wouldn't shock me in the least if Axelrod was standing on the 3rd base line getting introduced in 24 days.

It would shock me for no other reason than he is not currently on the 40 man roster. The other guys are (Rienzo, Surkamp)

The homer that Bruce hit was supposedly the biggest blast they've seen (Brennaman and Co.) this spring.

Paulino just doesn't seem to have much life on his fastball yet, and his location has been getting him killed, as he's been throwing strikes for the most part.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
They're all 4 on the 40, and I believe they all have options remaining.

Axelrod was waived off of the 40 man roster and brought back on a minor league deal. I thought they did the same for some reason with Leesman, but i still see him listed.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/whit...an-axelrod.html

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
Can somebody tell me Alex Liddi's story? Doesn't seem to have eye popping minors numbers (or in the majors).

He's from Italy, so there's the novelty of that.

Here's his BA profile.

Was as high as the #5 prospect in the Seattle system in 2009. Was still ranked in 2011. Just kind of hit a wall. Had some big power numbers up through 2011, but he K's a lot, and his major league stints have been less than good.

The Sox have a pretty big pile of marginal 1B/3B types ready for Charlotte (Liddi, McDade, Wilkins, Black). They won't all be there come April, some one or two of them will end up elsewhere via trade or release. Seems odd to me we have so many of them, given 3B is already a crowd issue, and so is 1B, looking at the major league club. Maybe they think Liddi can find something he had before, as he was much more highly considered as a prospect than any of those other guys have been.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
Axelrod was waived off of the 40 man roster and brought back on a minor league deal. I thought they did the same for some reason with Leesman, but i still see him listed.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/whit...an-axelrod.html

Yeah, i forgot they outrighted Axelrod, but the other three are still on there. That (and the fact that he's the worst pitcher of the bunch) makes Axelrod least likely. Rienzo, Surkamp, Leesman, in that order above him, IMO.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
He's from Italy, so there's the novelty of that.

Here's his BA profile.

Was as high as the #5 prospect in the Seattle system in 2009. Was still ranked in 2011. Just kind of hit a wall. Had some big power numbers up through 2011, but he K's a lot, and his major league stints have been less than good.

The Sox have a pretty big pile of marginal 1B/3B types ready for Charlotte (Liddi, McDade, Wilkins, Black). They won't all be there come April, some one or two of them will end up elsewhere via trade or release. Seems odd to me we have so many of them, given 3B is already a crowd issue, and so is 1B, looking at the major league club. Maybe they think Liddi can find something he had before, as he was much more highly considered as a prospect than any of those other guys have been.

Thanks!

"Multiple times he (Ventura) would bring his team in at noon on the road...and work on fundamentals for hours and hours."

Brennaman, saying how the White Sox season with 99 losses makes it seem better than it really was, how brutal the defense and fundamentals were.

This times the veterans Ramirez and Beckham not covering 2B on a delayed steal by Brayan Pena...you just don't see that, or shouldn't see that.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
"Multiple times he (Ventura) would bring his team in at noon on the road...and work on fundamentals for hours and hours."

Brennaman, saying how the White Sox season with 99 losses makes it seem better than it really was, how brutal the defense and fundamentals were.

This times the veterans Ramirez and Beckham not covering 2B on a delayed steal by Brayan Pena...you just don't see that, or shouldn't see that.

More and more I want Alexei moved. We need some leadership out there at that position and he flat out doesnt have it.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Adam Eaton has come to the plate 13 times in Spring, and reached base 9 times.

.600/.692/.600/1.290

Maybe we finally have a leadoff hitter. But one big concern w him is his defense. How has he looked so far in CF.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
More and more I want Alexei moved. We need some leadership out there at that position and he flat out doesnt have it.

Ramirez is one of our few regulars who can consistently be counted upon for 2+ WAR each year. There's a lot of positions to get to before SS for where the Sox's problems come from.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Adam Eaton has come to the plate 13 times in Spring, and reached base 9 times.

.600/.692/.600/1.290

Didn't include another HBP so this is actually .600/.714/.600/1.310 I believe.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Maybe we finally have a leadoff hitter. But one big concern w him is his defense. How has he looked so far in CF.

Solid, but obviously difficult to tell in the small sample size, along with the lack of data.