Missing Malaysian Airliner thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 12:11 AM)
No votes for Malaysia Airlines yet?

For real though, what a crazy story from arguably the safest aircraft ever. The stolen passports add to the intrigue.

I've been checking for news updates the past 24 hours. It's so odd. Have a bad feeling this will end up an unsolved mystery.

No votes for Malaysia Airlines yet?

For real though, what a crazy story from arguably the safest aircraft ever. The stolen passports add to the intrigue.

No matter how safe the aircraft, the aircraft can't prevent people from boarding with stolen passports. That takes people.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
No matter how safe the aircraft, the aircraft can't prevent people from boarding with stolen passports. That takes people.

Given what happened to the aircraft, it seems safe to assume the stolen passports had something to do with the disappearance. But I don't know if it's that rare in that part of the world, they could have just been drug smugglers or something who happened to end up on this flight.

Given what happened to the aircraft, it seems safe to assume the stolen passports had something to do with the disappearance. But I don't know if it's that rare in that part of the world, they could have just been drug smugglers or something who happened to end up on this flight.

Malaysia is a pretty developed country. I would not expect it to be the kind of place where something like this could happen.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 06:40 AM)
Malaysia is a pretty developed country. I would not expect it to be the kind of place where something like this could happen.

I know zero about aviation, so is it possible that all the tracking technology was disabled and it flew into another country... say North Korea? It's just such an odd situation that they can't find any debris.

I know zero about aviation, so is it possible that all the tracking technology was disabled and it flew into another country... say North Korea? It's just such an odd situation that they can't find any debris.

I meant more along the lines of allowing two people on the plane with stolen passports. Interpol keeps a pretty good database, and it's not hard to run your passenger list through it. I would think a country as well off as Malaysia would do this, but I guess not.

Also, Malaysia seems to be an odd target for terrorism. There aren't any groups that I'm aware of that are pissed off at Malaysia.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)

North Korea is a helluva long way from Vietnam. That's like aiming for Florida and turning up near Greenland.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
I meant more along the lines of allowing two people on the plane with stolen passports. Interpol keeps a pretty good database, and it's not hard to run your passenger list through it. I would think a country as well off as Malaysia would do this, but I guess not.

Also, Malaysia seems to be an odd target for terrorism. There aren't any groups that I'm aware of that are pissed off at Malaysia.

Oh I agree it's odd, I was genuinely asking if it's a realistic possibility, again, I just know nothing about aviation and how planes are tracked in the air to know if something like that is possible.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)

Well the majority of passengers were Chinese. There are some groups active in China, there was a recent attack in western China at a train station. Maybe they thought it was easier to pull it off leaving from Malaysia. (If it was terrorism)

I think people are underestimating how hard it is to find aircraft debris in an immense stretch of ocean. If the plane did break up badly in middair, the pieces are so small, you need to fly pretty low to spot them. Flying low also means you have to take a LOT of time to sweep an area of thousands of square miles.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
I think people are underestimating how hard it is to find aircraft debris in an immense stretch of ocean. If the plane did break up badly in middair, the pieces are so small, you need to fly pretty low to spot them. Flying low also means you have to take a LOT of time to sweep an area of thousands of square miles.

It took five days to find initial wreckage from Air France 447 and over two years to find the black boxes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)

ah, OK, that makes sense, I didn't know that. Thanks!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)

I haven't read up a ton on this so maybe it's been answered, but don't planes have transponders that allow them to be tracked on radar?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
I haven't read up a ton on this so maybe it's been answered, but don't planes have transponders that allow them to be tracked on radar?

Yes, and I believe they still have a LORAN pulse too (though I haven't flown a plane or been up on that stuff in almost 20 years). But as I understand it from what I've read, those two beacon emissions don't generally survive a crash. The two black boxes can send out a signal too, and the casing is very tough, but it isn't impenetrable. With that Air France flight, they got a few weak signals but it disappeared after a while.

Officials have talked to the travel agents who booked the tickets for the two guys with the stolen passports. They said that they didn't specifically request this flight, and that it was booked because it was the cheapest way to their destinations. I'm betting at this point that these guys just happened to be on this flight and had fake passports for immigration or local warrant reasons.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
Officials have talked to the travel agents who booked the tickets for the two guys with the stolen passports. They said that they didn't specifically request this flight, and that it was booked because it was the cheapest way to their destinations. I'm betting at this point that these guys just happened to be on this flight and had fake passports for immigration or local warrant reasons.

A Malaysian police chief said that the two guys looked like Mario Balotelli

So the two guys who were using stolen passports have been identified. They are both Iranians, and according to family members, they stole passports in order to get into Europe where they were going to seek asylum. It is possible that their families are covering for them, but a Malaysian jet carrying mostly Chinese citizens does not seem a likely target for Iranian terrorists. Most likely just a coincidence that they were on a flight that went down.

In other bizarre airline news, North Korea conducted an unannounced missile test that happened to come close to crossing paths with a Chinese passenger jet. That's pretty dumb on NK's part. If they piss off China, they pretty much cease to exist.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)
So the two guys who were using stolen passports have been identified. They are both Iranians, and according to family members, they stole passports in order to get into Europe where they were going to seek asylum. It is possible that their families are covering for them, but a Malaysian jet carrying mostly Chinese citizens does not seem a likely target for Iranian terrorists. Most likely just a coincidence that they were on a flight that went down.

In other bizarre airline news, North Korea conducted an unannounced missile test that happened to come close to crossing paths with a Chinese passenger jet. That's pretty dumb on NK's part. If they piss off China, they pretty much cease to exist.

Was this meant to be in another thread? Or is Malaysian Airlines a favorite of yours?

Was this meant to be in another thread? Or is Malaysian Airlines a favorite of yours?

This thread had drifted into a conversation about the missing Malaysian airlines jet a while back. Maybe it needs to be split into a different thread.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
This thread had drifted into a conversation about the missing Malaysian airlines jet a while back. Maybe it needs to be split into a different thread.

OK, I see it is discussed in various places. OK, I'll see if I can do some thread surgery.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)

They posted photos of the two Iranians, who look very Iranian. I'm not really sure where the Malaysian spokesperson got the Mario Balotelli comparison.